i need to get rid of my up-strumming like instead of like down strumming for solos and other things the only things i down strum are are like 1 fingering things or with the top 3 strings like if im playing beast and the lot i up strum all this and its to slow its a habit

l--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------l
l---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------l
l----------------------10------------11---------------13----------------------------------------l
l---------12121212----12121212----12121212-------------------------------------------l
l--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------l
or like the solo or the ^
l---------------------12---------------------l l
l-----------------12-------------------------l l
l------------14------------------------------l l
l-----15-------------------------------------l l
l---------------------------------------------l (im not a good tab maker ----> l
l---------------------------------------------l
Quote by HammeredSlide
i need to get rid of my up-strumming like instead of like down strumming for solos and other things the only things i down strum are are like 1 fingering things or with the top 3 strings like if im playing beast and the lot i up strum all this and its to slow its a habit

l---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------l
l----------------------10------------11---------------13----------------------------------------l
l---------12121212----12121212----12121212-------------------------------------------l
or like the solo or the ^
l---------------------12---------------------l l
l-----------------12-------------------------l l
l------------14------------------------------l l
l-----15-------------------------------------l l
l---------------------------------------------l (im not a good tab maker ----> l
l---------------------------------------------l

wat
Could you please re-write that so people can understand better?
just practice strumming downwards
Quote by Moggan13
Serjem is like a Bishops testicals: Swollen
ಠ_ಠ
IIIIfb * KARKOLI * ytIIII(mostly rock... a little funky, a little hard just the way you want it )
Quote by Freepower
You need to learn about "Alternate picking". All you do is practice using both up and down strokes - Paul Gilbert used to only play upstrokes and look at him now.

+1

I used to do nothing but down strokes (I was really big into Metallica and Hetfield's playing consisted of mostly down strokes) but then once I realized how limited it was, I started working on up strokes and eventually I learned alternate picking and it was like I had just opened a door to a new plateau.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
If you need to practise alternate picking i recommend learning some songs by Death.
death metal may not be your thing, but damn, chuck is beast.
The song lack of comprehension has some nice alternate picking
Current favourite bands:
METALLICA
MASTODON
NILE
If you're trying to just work on alternate picking, take anything by Metallica and play it with alternate picking. It won't have the same quality as it does when Hetfield downpicks it because of the dfiferences in pick attacks, but it'll definitely help with your alternate picking. Also take some slower stuff and just work on getting the motions down before you speed it up. Soon it'll become natural
Gear List:
Yamaha SJ-180 Steel String Acoustic
2008 Ibanez S520
Peavey 6505+ 112 Combo
Peavey Vypyr 15W

Call me Erk.
Quote by fixationdarknes
^ You don't have to play death metal to learn alternate picking. Alternate picking is in just about every style of music and song out there.

I'm quite aware of that, I am only but suggesting he learns the song lack of comprehension so he can improve his alternate picking
I said nothing of death metal being the only genre with alternate picking
Current favourite bands:
METALLICA
MASTODON
NILE
Learn something by Paul Gilbert, or at least look at his exercises on alternate picking.
Fender Telecaster Thin Line

(For playing fusion as a solo project)
Ernie Ball VP Jr
Vox Wah
Korg DT-10 Tuner
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Mxr Phase 90
Electro Harmonix Small Clone
Boss DD6 Digital Delay