Okay, so I just got back from my local toy store after checking the prices of SSB:B and Metroid Prime Corruption. Anyway, on the way there, two guys started following me for no reason (no idea who these people were). Then one of them stops me and asks me where I'm from. I had no idea what to do so I just mumbled back, so he asked me again and I mumbled back. He then assured me that he wouldn't do anything. I stopped, looked back at him and his silent buddy who wasn't doing anything, and then walked away into the store, seeing as I had just reached the door.
Okay, so what the crap? I've lived in England for a year and I haven't picked up a British accent, so my American still makes people ask me where I'm from (so I'm used to this... but only from people at school or others whom I know). I'm not oblivious to the whole "knife culture," or whatever they call it now and the fact that some people get killed for being from the wrong part of town, although I do think it's a little over exaggerated by the media. Was this an example of this? Were they actually trying to do something to me or were they just idiots trying to screw with me for no reason?

I'm pretty sure that rape was not their plan so please explain.

And what should I do if this happens again (besides rape, fapping, or watching the Prestige)?

tl;dr: Guys followed me, asked me where I'm from, what the crap?
Quote by Chrisiphone
Oh wow this is a guitar forum!
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Why is it that some folks quote praise from other members in their sig lines?
Its lame.
Just tell them where you were from...it's not a trick...
Opie and Anthony Fan
XM 202 | SIRIUS 197
Linger Longer
Well I doubt he wanted a lecture on American history. Were you wearing anything they could relate to (a band shirt particularly)?
Quote by Mudmen190
If loving ham makes me gay, I'm Rob Halford.

Quote by musiclover2399
MyNameIsLame just nailed it (actually both his statements did some nailing).

Quote by Oroborous
This is honestly the best first post I've ever seen

^^ Directed at me. E-peen wankery sigs ftw.

My Last.FM
bassically.......

Its just a jump to the left, and then a step to the right.
Put your hands on your hips and bend your needs in time
Well its a pelvic thrust that really drives you insane

LETS DO THE TIME WARP AGAINNNNN!!!!!!
Quote by Portuguese_boy
You should have told them you're from Pakistan.

Dont get Metroid Prime 3 unless your a hardcore fan of the series.
Quote by Psalm 150:4
Someone told me Bach sounded like crap.

Quote by Minkaro
What a dick, right? Skid Row are awesome
Quote by Jay4GunsNRoses

i love that game.

what type of guys?
random dudes?
chavs?
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
Okay, so me and my buddy just went out for a stroll today, y'know, just blokes. We walked past the local games store when we suddenly noticed a bloke outside who looked and sounded like he isn't from around here, y'know? So we think, we'll ask the bugger, he'll be jolly delighted when people are so friendly to 'em... But he just walks away saying nuffin'!

Okay, so what the crap? When we was just trying to be friendly.. I know outsiders are afraid of Bri'ish "knife culture" or whatever those blokes call it these days.. But bugger, we was jus trying to be friendly to a Yank! Are they all like this?

tl;dr: Trying to be friendly, guy just walks away, what the crap?
Iunno, still doesn't sound like the usual thing to do. If they were against you because you were foreign, I'm pretty sure it's not Americans they have a problem with, so i'd just put it down to being an odd experience.

But like Baz says, chavs are weird dickheads, it just sounds like they wanted to mess with you...

Where abouts are you at in England?

EDIT: ^
Quote by jxljxl
If UG had a Facebook style Relationship thing, I'd e-marry you C-mak

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

^Think he might have a thing for me...
Quote by ZeGuitarist
Okay, so me and my buddy just went out for a stroll today, y'know, just blokes. We walked past the local games store when we suddenly noticed a bloke outside who looked and sounded like he isn't from around here, y'know? So we think, we'll ask the bugger, he'll be jolly delighted when people are so friendly to 'em... But he just walks away saying nuffin'!

Okay, so what the crap? When we was just trying to be friendly.. I know outsiders are afraid of Bri'ish "knife culture" or whatever those blokes call it these days.. But bugger, we was jus trying to be friendly to a Yank! Are they all like this?

Well done.
GO YANKEES!
Probably just some chavs.

Did they call you a dickhead at any point? If so, definitely chavs.
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
Quote by Jay4GunsNRoses

Awesome game! Hard, but ain't that a good thing?

On topic:

In this overly PC country, we feel like we should befriend foreigners!
ZeGuitarist..... I applaud you

,--.-'-,--.
\ /-~-\ /
/ )' a a `( \
( ( ,---. ) )
THIS WAS MEANT TO BE A PIG
\ `(_o_o_)' /
\ `-' /
| |---| |
[_] [_]
If people take the piss out of your accent, just humour them. Just started uni at Newcastle and southeners take the piss out of my accent, so i do the same to them (all out of fun of course).

And knife culture is all media hype tbh, having said that though you don't have that problem much in the North East - maybes in London, but i wouldn't know.
Wooooooo England!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Quote by MooshMooshMarc
i have to admit, I laughed a little

at long f*cking last... a decent compliment

I POSTED THE PEAR ALL I GOT WAS A LOUSY WARNING
Quote by estranged23
bassically.......

Its just a jump to the left, and then a step to the right.
Put your hands on your hips and bend your needs in time
Well its a pelvic thrust that really drives you insane

LETS DO THE TIME WARP AGAINNNNN!!!!!!

Completely irrelavent but I laughed ... i'll admit it. TS I wouldn't have worried too much, some people who you think are dangerous are actually quite friendly but they can be very dangerous and volatile. For instance I said "excuse me" to this kid (only a few years younger than myself) and he freaked out and started shouting at me, he was weak so I just hit him but it could have gone worse.
Quote by ZeGuitarist

That was the best example of this kind of humor I have ever seen.
Well, I don't know about England, but when that happens in Northern Ireland it's usually because they're out to kill someone of another religion... but over here it isnt hard to overcome these small minded chavs because they usually wear either a 'Rangers' football top (protestant) or celtic football top (catholic).

But im like a ****in power ranger i just go ninja on their ass and then walk away with a grin on my face

/thread

;P
Current favourite bands:
METALLICA
MASTODON
NILE
Thing is that I didn't say anything. There was no band shirt on me. They didn't even hear my voice. They just came up to me completely randomly and started asking questions. I'm guessing they saw my headphones and wanted whatever I was listening to my music with.

Edit: They were around my age. I'm guessing 16 or 17.
Quote by Chrisiphone
Oh wow this is a guitar forum!
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Why is it that some folks quote praise from other members in their sig lines?
Its lame.
Last edited by Karvid at Oct 25, 2008,
Quote by Portuguese_boy
A wigger.

Its really not. More akin to "white trash" than wiggers.
Quote by aaciseric
Completely irrelavent but I laughed ... i'll admit it. TS I wouldn't have worried too much, some people who you think are dangerous are actually quite friendly but they can be very dangerous and volatile. For instance I said "excuse me" to this kid (only a few years younger than myself) and he freaked out and started shouting at me, he was weak so I just hit him but it could have gone worse.

In all fairness, advice on talking to foreigners is a difficult subject for a brummie!
Quote by Karvid
You win this thread. And UG. I haven't actually lol'd at a post in a really long time. Thanks for changing that. I expect a sig

He expected this.

Something you definitely need to know
Quote by Portuguese_boy
A wigger.

Wrong. Some are, but it's generally just urban and violent white trash idiots.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Quote by Jay4GunsNRoses

No way, Metroid Prime 3 is great! Unlike the first two Primes, it's more of a FPS than a first person adventure, but it's one of the best FPSs I've played.

Anyway, your story was confusing. The guy sounded quite pleasant, it wasn't like he was abusive or anything.
Tell him you're from England, in a cockney accent. Then offer to shine his shoes.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by daniel.mycoe
In all fairness, advice on talking to foreigners is a difficult subject for a brummie!

Lol you got me there.
Quote by ZeGuitarist

The only good post parody I have EVER seen!

It all makes sense
We're capable of beauty
Through sounds that make on cringe
The dogs only hear us now