Page 1 of 2
Well i have been playing for about a year and i think its time to upgrade from my squire. I'm pretty much stuck between three guitars and maybe others if you guys can recommend me some good ones. My budget is around 800 and i mostly play iron maiden, metallica, and ozzy. The 3 current guitars i picked atm are :
jackson rr3
american strat
epiphone les paul ultra 2
All of them seem like great guitars to me so i'm not really sure what to buy. Any help would be appreciated.
Last edited by lee13169 at Oct 25, 2008,
rr3
LTD JD 600
Fender Celtic Esquire
Ibanez RGA7
Schecter S-1 Elite
Line 6 FM4
KORG Pitchblack
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop Wah
Ibanez TS-9
ISP Decimator
Peavey 6505 Halfstack
Marshall 1960b Cab
Line 6 POD X3 Live
The Ultra's mainly more expensive than it's predecesor because they added a piezo type pickup for clean/accoustic sounds. I doubt you'd get much use out of it playing the music you're indicating! Perhaps another LP model. Strat's are nice, but unless it comes with a humbucker, it'll need more boost for metal type OD/distortion. A word about newer tremolo style (FR) guitars, they require more setup skills to maintain and if you don't intend to use the whammy bar, I'd avoid them.
Moving on.....
I was leaning towards rr3 myself however im not that good at setting up guitars. I dont plan to use the whammy too much but its something i woulnd mind having. And what about this les paul instead. I went to guitar center a while back and ultra 2 was very versatile but im not really going to play anything on clean.
what amp you got?
out of those guitarsid say the rr3 would suit you best but you gotta be willing to learn how to use and set up that trem if you dont want the hassel its best just to get the les paul
but i would suggest the ltd-ec1000
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-Deluxe-EC1000-Electric-Guitar?sku=516629
40 dollars out ofyou budget but well woth it
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
Take a look at the Epiphone Les Paul Custom and an Agile Al-3000/3100
the reason that i would take the les paul over the rr3 is because, even though it has an ok trem and good pups, the upperfret access was very frustrating because of it's bolt on neck.
I've mentioned this guitar a lot lately, and I believe it's one of the best metal guitars around the 500-700 price range, great bang for your buck.

Michael Kelly Hex Deluxe.

24 frets
ebony fretboard
ofr
neck through
emgs

all for $670.
Gear:
Fender CP Jazzmaster
Schecter PT Custom w/ Dimarzio crunch lab/liquifire
Marshall JCM2000 DSL+Orange 4x12
Orange Tiny Terror+Mesa Electra Dyne 2x12
Boss TU-2/NS-2/DD-6
Maxon OD808

MY BAND!
I'm gonna go to guitar center in a few hours so ill be sure to try out all of the guitars mentioned. Mostly what i want is a guitar that can go from something like fade to black lead tone to mr crowley solo tone and do them both well. Also how much better would those les pauls be over the standart. custom
custom limited

EDIT: Forgot to mention my amp is line 6 spider 3 15w. Its not that great but i feel that a new guitar would be a bigger improvement for now.
It's more of prefernence, I fell in love with the Epip Custom, but if you want a cheaper vr, look at an Agile Al-3000/3100

And for Fade to Black and Mr Crowly, both Kirk Hammet and Randy Rhodes use (used) Les Paul's when playing each song..

edit: i see you posted your amp, also what is your current guitar also?
The current guitar i have is squire strat. Something i bought just to start out since i did not know if i would even take a big interest in playing guitar. The amp it came with was fender frontman 15g which i replaced with the spider.
How much do you have to spend on a new guitar? and what state/major city do you leave in/near by
I dont really want to spend much over 800 but if its something thats just really great i can go higher. And i live in miami.
I don't want to push you, but i think you should split that and get a new amp and guitar
I will have the money for a new amp in less than 2 month so i rather get a better guitar now that way i will have a better set up later on. The custom les paul seems pretty good. Right now im mostly deciding between rr3 custom les paul and the esp ltd deluxe ec-1000. Ill probably get a strat in a few years if i still want one. Also how much would i need for a good amp. I dont want anything extremely loud since im not going to play any gigs for a long time. So a good practice amp will do.
For an amp, look around for a used Peavey Classic 30 (can be found between $250-$400)
also, for the ec-1000, are you looking at the one with EMGs or SDs
emg 86/60

edit: I'm not worried about the amp right now thats a decision ill need to make in a few month. Ill go to guitar center later on today and try out all of the guitars mentioned and see whats best for me. If i cant decide in the store then **** lol.
Last edited by lee13169 at Oct 25, 2008,
Yeah i do sorry was a typo. And yeah it seems really nice hopefully i can get the tone i want from it.
With what Guitar Center has in stock, your best bet would be the Schecter Hellraiser with the set neck. It is 550 with a fixed bridge, and 850 with a floating original floyd rose. They are comfortable to play sitting down, have the new EMG pickups with coil tap, and seem to play very fluidly. The only problem I've found with them is that maybe it's their setup, and the intonation, but only one out of every 3 or 4 resonates the way I like, and artificial harmonics don't come through the way I want them to. I would guess they all just need set up professionally though, because quality control doesn't seem like too much of an issue.
Im about to go to guitar center and have one last question. What is the difference between those 2 guitars other than 100 dollars for a better top.
Plain Top
Electric
Rr3
Dean Dave Mustaine Signature VMNT Flying V
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Line 6 Spider III 15 :/
Dunlop Dime Crybaby From Hell

Quote by acidrainman64
one time i walked into a sam ash store and asked for directions to guitar center
Quote by Ghold125
Take a look at the Epiphone Les Paul Custom and an Agile Al-3000/3100
the reason that i would take the les paul over the rr3 is because, even though it has an ok trem and good pups, the upperfret access was very frustrating because of it's bolt on neck.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

you choose an LP over an RR3 because the upper fret access would be better???????????????????

shiiiiiiiiit. Thats just moronic. The RR3 might have a high heel bolt on, but thats nothing compared to the 'impossible to reach the uper frets' neckpocket the LP has.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by gucio93
I've mentioned this guitar a lot lately, and I believe it's one of the best metal guitars around the 500-700 price range, great bang for your buck.

24 frets
ebony fretboard
ofr
neck through
emgs

all for $670.

dude thats amazing
"My jedi powers are far more superior than yours"
Quote by gucio93

24 frets
ebony fretboard
ofr
neck through
emgs

all for $670.

thats....

... GAS INPROVING!!!! You're evil gucio!

Never played one, but i have to agree, gudging by the specs, this could be the best deal under 700$ for a new guitar.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by LP_CL
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

you choose an LP over an RR3 because the upper fret access would be better???????????????????

shiiiiiiiiit. Thats just moronic. The RR3 might have a high heel bolt on, but thats nothing compared to the 'impossible to reach the uper frets' neckpocket the LP has.

so your making fun of me because of what I prefer?
i'd get the les paul. either that or the strat. the strat is a little more high quality, and the les paul is a les paul.

the rr3 is yet another metal guitar made to look badass but is really crap.
real guitarists won't respect you if they see that around your neck.

fender or gibson [/epiphone]
its like chocolate or vanilla.

the american strat is the best quality of those.
then the les paul
then the rr3

pick your favorite- les paul or strat
I think IBANEZ is the best... simple as that. If you want a good guitar, than the IBANEZ RG series is for you. Mine only cost about $500, and its worth every penny.

IBANEZ MAN... THE BEST OF THE BEST
You like Ozzy, you say?
Randy Rhoads designed the RR.

And Kirk Hammett has, on multiple occasions played RRs.

The RR is overall, a better guitar for your style than the Les Paul.
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem
Justice4AllOne pretty much mentioned all of my ideas so yeah...pointless pun post.

Quote by MightySumo
Thanks fer settin me straight on that Justice

Quote by oneblackened
I was thinking that too, Justice usually seems like a pretty knowledgeable guy.
Quote by Justice4AllOne
You like Ozzy, you say?
Randy Rhoads designed the RR.

And Kirk Hammett has, on multiple occasions played RRs.

The RR is overall, a better guitar for your style than the Les Paul.

LOL! Randy Rhodes has been dead for over 20 years and Ozzy's put out many albums since with Zack W who happens to burn on a Les Paul. Not everybody likes bolt-on necks and excessive hardware on their guitars. There's been plenty of excellent playing done on simple guitars & some of the best solos (& soloists) don't go anywhere near the 22 - 24th frets.
Moving on.....
Quote by Ghold125
so your making fun of me because of what I prefer?

I'm sorry, but i thought it was quite funny. Maybe i shouldnt have done this.
But the funny thing is that the RR3 has far better upper fret access compared to the Les Paul.
Ok, the heel isnt ideal, but you wont tell me you find the upper fret access better on the LP than on the RR3. There is no way.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by MooSir2u
Epiphones suck anyway.

Fail.

Get a new amp first. I made the same mistake. The EMGs will sound worse through your spider than a passive pickup like a Seymour Duncan or something. Active pickups+SS amp=/=good tone

I'd get the RR3 out of those, but it will have a thinner and flatter neck than the les paul. The les paul will not have very good upper fret access, but neither will the RR3 with it's v shape. I think the rr3 has better fret access though.

And for the suggestion of ibanez above, don't get one that's cheap and has a floating edge 3 trem, because the last thing you need is an unstable trem while you're getting used to it.
Quote by HighPotency
Fail.

Get a new amp first. I made the same mistake. The EMGs will sound worse through your spider than a passive pickup like a Seymour Duncan or something. Active pickups+SS amp=/=good tone

I'd get the RR3 out of those, but it will have a thinner and flatter neck than the les paul. The les paul will not have very good upper fret access, but neither will the RR3 with it's v shape. I think the rr3 has better fret access though.

And for the suggestion of ibanez above, don't get one that's cheap and has a floating edge 3 trem, because the last thing you need is an unstable trem while you're getting used to it.

Correction: Gibsons AND Epiphones suck and pretty much every guitar in Guitar Center sucks. You're lucky to find one that's decent out of every 10 you try. Why would you pay 1000+ for a cookie cutter guitar when you could have one custom made for the same price from a higher end company? I'd buy a custom shop Carvin or ESP any day before a Gibson off the shelf at a Guitar Center.
I teach guitar for a living. Whenever a student asks me this question, I always tell them to buy an American made guitar. They will retain their value way more than anything such as LTD, Schechter, Ibanez, Epiphone, etc. For 800 bucks you should be able to buy a really nice used American made guitar. Look around for something like a Gibson Les Paul Studio or a Fender American Standard Strat. You mentioned that you're into metal, so you'll probably want something with a humbucker, (Strats are easy to modify). Also, I know that V's and other odd shaped guitars look cool, but they're a real pain to play sitting down. And by all means, stay away from locking tremelo systems. I couldn't wait to get one 25 years ago. Once I got it, I couldn't wait to get rid of it.
Last edited by seth's daddy at Oct 27, 2008,
Quote by alternitivebass
what amp you got?
out of those guitarsid say the rr3 would suit you best but you gotta be willing to learn how to use and set up that trem if you dont want the hassel its best just to get the les paul
but i would suggest the ltd-ec1000
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-Deluxe-EC1000-Electric-Guitar?sku=516629
40 dollars out of you budget but well woth it

+1

I agree totally with this guy. i got a guitar with a floyd rose type trem and its a bugger to tune and re string... unless u can get a fixed rr for around the same price go the ec-1000. none of the other guitars can match it for grunt, power and coolness.
(unless u got a gibson les paul)

and and and EMGS are awesome.
Quote by symba05
Don't use nylon, it will get on fire.

Quote by symba05
If King Diamond's Thrash Britney Spears is NS black metal from Oslo.

Gear:
Ibanez RGR420EX RAR
Samick Interceptor II with D Activators in both positions

AXL 70R
Peavey rage 15W

Zoom g1
Page 1 of 2