Hey guys

I've recently come the conclusion that my achilles heel technique wise is throwing triplets into a series of downpicked notes. My question is: How do you (yes you!) play triplets if you were to, say, play two series of triplets in continuation of eachother? Would you play it with strickt alternate picking like

Down - up - down - up - down - up

or start each triplet with a downstroke like so

Down - up - down - Down - up - Down

I read in a magazine that the hetfield method is to start each triplet with 2 downstrokes (Down- down - up) but I'm not sure if this suitable for extremely fast stuff.

I know this is an extremely geeky question, but I would appreciate it if anyone would enlighten me on this subject.

Cheers
i just do down-up-down,down-up-down.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
I use the Hetfield style for most metal rhythm triplets I play. Makes it so much easier than alternate picking them, especially for fast stuff, like the Battery riff. But that' just me, others might find alternate easier.
I usually do it down up down-down up down
Quote by HuckIt
I met this chick I really liked and wanted to practice sex, so I practiced on some guy I met at a gas station...
i mostly do the jaymz method, but for very fast stuff i do alt picking
d u d, d u d

just simply because doing anything fast starting on an upstroke/pick is usually not fun. only time i do the u d u is when im trem picking, cuz then i have the constant motion and not jsut a blatent u d u motion that i would in a regular triplet.
My Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey Valveking 112
Line 6 über-Metal Pedal

Quote by pwrmax
All you care about is looks? No wonder you have it hard.

Quote by srvflood
You can't have sex with her personality.
depends

for Rhythm playing: down up down down up down

for lead shredding: Down - up - down - up - down - up
Want Sub-Forums For GB&C, CLICK and Comment to Help the Right People Notice.
A triplet is a triplet -- 3 subdivisions to a beat. No such thing as a "metal" triplet.
That's the only way you should be looking at it. Beyond, that it's how you feel like
playing it. Alternate picked, economy, sweep, all down, legato, tapped... whatever.
Any connection between a triplet and how you happen to pick it, will only limit your
playing.
Cool! Thanks for all the good answers. I didn't expect this many entries so quickly. Thank you again. You guys helped a lot.