Hey everyone.

So last christmas I bought a B-52 AT-100 head for 509.00. haha. I know, they were selling for 800. But steve at guitar center hooked me up. So I got the head and the... marshall mg cab for 200.00. Now its rolling around to next year and im so bored with my stuff that I hardly have the desire to play anymore. I play a squier strat that I done everything i could to get the actionn down but yet its still high.

But my dad (im almost 16) is one of those guys who doesnt throw ANYTHING out, so he insists on me keeping my amps and all my gear until I have like ten guitars and five amps. THEN i can start to swap stuff. But I need that new life to get back into playing hard and heavy. And with football just getting over I need something over the winter to do. and i would like it to be guitar.

My first question. How much do you think i could get for my B-52? Its brand new. Hasnt moved since I took it to my basement. Noones touched it looked at it or breathed on it except me. Its my baby, haha and my cab is the same thing. never really CRANKED either of them.

My second question/favor. Could you guys convince my dad to let me get excited about guitar again and let me get new stuff? ill let him read the posts.

Thanks in advance,
Drew

Fender Telecaster w/ GFS Lil' Killer
Jet City Pico Valve

Quote by Chaos-Serenade

The fretboard is dry because it is more than likely made in China.

I wonder how he came to this conclusion.
Lyrics
Inside the back
Walk with me
Reign, Rain

Call me Drew
Get another guitar or some pedals to experiment with?
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
get a new guitar...keep the b-52, then after you get a new guitar, get a new cab...
why dont you get a new cab? the MG cab is probably whats making you want to sell your head
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Here's the thing. I wouldn't sell the B-52. That's actually a really good amp. I would, on the other hand, sell the cab and buy a better one. ALOT of your sound comes from the speakers you're using. I used an Avatar Cab with my Uberschall and my Bugera. I have Celestion Vintage 30's and GH12's in it. It made it sound completely different from the crappy Peavey cab I was using.

But yeah, get a new cab, and a nice tube screamer and you'll have a completely new sound.
Quote by Green RATM Day

Electric - you plug it into a power outlet in the wall and the music comes from little speakers in the guitar.

Quote by The Raven
^ Bugger! You win this time Dark Ra - Hey! Thats partially my name dammit! I challenge you... to a gentleman's dual!

All My Equipment
^ yea, i forgot to mention, thats a really good head, the cab might be holding it back
don't get rid of the head, the guitar and cab however... aren't good, why do you have such a great amp and bad guitar?
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
Quote by ShredGod George
why do you have such a great amp and bad guitar?

good amp + bad guitar > good guitar + crappy amp
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
My drummer became a douche bag recently and took the bass player with him. All they do get stoned and i ve tried it, just not for me. So they do their own thing, and i have his drums, my amp and m guitars and a computer with MXL990/991 so i want to record. But I feel that im just not doing my amp justice with my needs right now. So i want to get a 2x12 combo or hell maybe even a valve juinor. I just really want to shake it up. and a new guitar with the money i have left over from the amp would really revamp my playing ithink

Jet City Pico Valve

Quote by Chaos-Serenade

Lyrics
Inside the back
Walk with me
Reign, Rain

Call me Drew
Try the AT-212 combo?
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
You'll probably be able to break even on the B-52 at least, but you could also start by getting rid of the MG cab for something better.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
You really need to get a new cab. Speakers are EXTREMELY important, and your simply not even comeing close to seeing the true potential of your amp.

Get a new cab.

As for your guitar, I say get a new one. Even just some Epi Les Paul or something would be a large improvement over your squire.

But for as long as you have the squire you can fix the action by lowering the bridge down slightly so its floating, I dont know how well it will work though because the bridge on those squires are horrible.
American Strat:
Area 61 Neck, Area 67 Middle & Bridge
Spretzel Locking Tuners
Graphtech Nut & String Tree
Lots O' Love!

JSX + Orange Cab
Fender Blues Deluxe
Deluxe Memory Man
Fulltone Full Drive 2 & OCD
H2O Chorus/Echo
yah a epi standard would be lightyears ahead of a squire especually the newer ones.
epi customs are great, I own one, changed out the pups, used a diffrent nut, and now its a real LES PAUL.
I decieded to downgrade. I need 2x12 with the direction im going. The stack will just have to hold off until i can get back to gigging. What 2x12's would anyone reccommend for hard rock to metal.

Jet City Pico Valve

Quote by Chaos-Serenade

Lyrics
Inside the back
Walk with me
Reign, Rain

Call me Drew
I would recommend selling the cab and buying a nice 212. It pushes less air and will help bring your volume down a bit. Then it's just a matter of saving up for a better guitar.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
The B-52 is gooood, get a new cab and guitar
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
i never really thought of that. I could sell the cab for a smaller one....
ha.
Any 2x12's that I could get for around 200?

Jet City Pico Valve

Quote by Chaos-Serenade

Lyrics
Inside the back
Walk with me
Reign, Rain

Call me Drew
focus on getting a cab first before the guitar. i dunno about yours, but my HSS squier is of great playability and decent sound (the finish is crappy and chipped but i really dont care), so if i were you i would make sure im satisfied with the rig before upgrading the guitar though. but im lucky to have such a good squier, maybe yours is so bad that getting an epi les paul would be a bigger improvement than getting a nice cab.
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Keep the B-52, get a new guitar or pedals. I think the amp is really good, but if you're bored with it, get pedals. You defintely need a new guitar first. Your sucks.
Just try out the B-52 AT-212, or preferably get a good cab.

Guitars barely make up your tone, ESPECIALLY when you run them through a MG cab. It would be worth it to just buy an Avatar 2x12. They run for $300 bucks, and you can keep using it even after you've moved past the B-52.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
if you really want to sell the b-52, you'll probably get about $400 for it maybe, they are pretty cheap on the used market.
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
as many have said, you have a good amp (i actually want the head),
but get a new cab/guitar.
Quote by Shredx
The B-52 is gooood, get a new cab and guitar

+15 Level Up!

From what I've read...the MG cab is designed for solid state heads.

I almost got rid of my B-52 as well. It was a POS with a Peavey Windsor cab.

I bought it expecting a classic tube amp. Well I now call it my Solid State HD amp. lol
The B-52 can make a million and one tones. Messing around with the knobs can
make a world of difference. Small turns really make the tone take a totally different
direction. It doesnt sound like the tube amps that are already out there. I really
like its neutral sound. For example...if you turn down the channel and crank up the master you will get a fuzz effect. Especially with a strat..the big muff is hidden in the onboard controls.

You can use pedals without a trademark sound shining through. Its a pretty sharp
and tight sound...alot like SS even in all tube mode. Thats why i call it SS HD.
I took this sharp tight sound and paired it with a Marshall 1960 cab. I think it mixes
well with the Harsh dry Marshall tone. (Pic on profile)

Btw...I never knew this but you can't play right infront of a marshall. It sounds a little better than other cabs. Get yourself a long cable and get about 15 feet away and you will shed tears of joy. lol. My Squier strat sounds good through it. Just work on a cab.
For rock or metal I use a H&K warp factor distortion/OD. I also use a Target Starcaster chorus pedal. It was 15 bucks but I only use a touch of chorus..so i dont need an expensive one. Those are my first two but i have many others.
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Last edited by Washburnd Fretz at Oct 26, 2008,