Ok, so some of you may or may not know I don't actually have a guitar, and I am in the same situation as that girl who's username I cannot remember..

Anyway, as time gets near, I am buying a guitar fairly soon...Electric, or bass...Here's my point of view on things...

I have always wanted a guitar, but then I found out about bass, and since have always wanted one of the two..

Some days my mind says go with x, and vice versa... But I can't choose... I love the look of bass, and I'm generally a rhythmic person, and I always try to listen to the basslines in songs... Hell, when I said to my friend, "Ok, I'm getting an electric" he said, "Are you sure? Because you said to me to slap you silly if you ever said that and disregarded bass" and I was like .

But the reason why I am making such a big thing out of choosing one of the two is because even though in every way I like bass, I love guitar too. I like that sound, and I would be able to recreate the songs I listen to, and, seeing as I'm skint, I probably wouldn't get lessons, and sites like justinguitar would help me, and as of yet, other than this site, I can't find any with good bass lessons...But, this isn't a deterrent for bass as people have said to me that they are good ish and have learnt online, with videos etc. etc.

Finally, I would be playing on my own, so would it be worth it to get gutiar, not bass?
Also, I went to the gutiar shop, and, to be honest, I was... slightly dissapointed with bass, and guitar felt somewhat...easier to handle...I tried some slap on the bass, and either I wasn't doing it right, or it wasn't that good.... But I'll go again, and ground my decision on that..

(It may sound like I definately want bass, but ask me on a "guitar" day, and I'll probably be biased to guitar)

Apart from grounding my decisions on the next time I go to the shop, I will be influenced by you on UG, so what do you think?

I posted this in this forum, as I feel I could get an educated response by people who actually give a shit about something. the Pit would be the complete opposite.

Oh, and also, if I went guitar, it would be easier on the wallet, which is always a bonus.
Last edited by SlayedInTheFace at Oct 25, 2008,
Go with guitar, and then if you want to switch to bass, its an easy transition, whereas vice versa isn't, it can be hard to get used to the tuning of the b string and such. And guitars are cheaper and easier to use. good luck with your decision
Gear:
Fender Hot Rod Deville 2x12
Custom Built Guitar (made it myself)
PRS SE Soapbar II Maple
Fender Stratacoustic (Stolen! )
Digitech RP200
Boss MT-2
Roland Microcube
I like my stuff!
Well, I have both, and I must say that guitar is a lot more fun to learn by yourself because you get to play the melody, but if you ever get to join a band, bass is more fun to play because people don't pay as much attention to what you're playing, so you can just goof around on stage and if you miss a note, nobody notices.
I say get a guitar. You'll be more satisfied being able to play recognizable songs. Unless you have a passion for bass at the moment then I would get a guitar.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Muse-ik is right. One of my mates swapped and found bass was alot easier with some experience on guitar.

As where another once tried to swap from bass to guitar... epic fail.

But don't let somebody make up your mind for you. In other words, LISTEN TO YOURSELF!!
For sale
BC Rich Mockingbird Exotic Classic in Koa
Dean VMNT in Silver
Marshall TSL JCM2000 Head

PM For info!

My band
Last edited by darrenjables at Oct 25, 2008,
No-one is going to persuade you one way or the other. Stop making dumb threads and just try a load of instruments and buy the one that you don't want to let go of.
Play both? get a guitar now, bass later? i only say guitar first because as you say, it is usualy cheaper depending on what make and series obviously.

They are both fun to play, no reason to limit yourself to one. That and when you get asked "So your a bassist?" you can say "No, i'm a musician"
I have to agree with seanms and ask what's the problem with playing both?
Just buy one and get the other later, say buy a bass and amp, then an acoustic, or an electric and play it through the bass amp.
I'm a Fire, and I'll Burn.Burn.Burn.
Quote by smb
No-one is going to persuade you one way or the other. Stop making dumb threads and just try a load of instruments and buy the one that you don't want to let go of.

dumb threads?

This isn't dumb, it has a purpose, what other dumb threads have I made?
Quote by SlayedInTheFace
dumb threads?

This isn't dumb, it has a purpose, what other dumb threads have I made?
Ignore that phrase and read the rest of my post. Repeatedly.
If money wasn't an issue, I'd say get yourself a custom two-neck guitar/bass combo.

But money rarely isn't. :-/
Quote by Withakay
If money wasn't an issue, I'd say get yourself a custom two-neck guitar/bass combo.

But money rarely isn't. :-/

or he could buy a bass and a guitar separately so he doesn't have to lug that monstrosity everywhere. but get one first, then the other. if you get a guitar first though, get a bass amp so when you buy a bass, you don't have to go trade out your amp.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by the humanity
or he could buy a bass and a guitar separately so he doesn't have to lug that monstrosity everywhere. but get one first, then the other. if you get a guitar first though, get a bass amp so when you buy a bass, you don't have to go trade out your amp.

which do you suggest though personally?
Quote by SlayedInTheFace
which do you suggest though personally?

I have never had any interest in playing guitar since the ripe old age of 12. I personally like bass. but, if you learn guitar, you will be able to see if music really is your kinda thing. I hope it is, and it probably is, but you can get a decent guitar for cheaper than a decent bass. you can do that, get maybe a 15-25 watt bass amp, then in a couple months, buy a cheap bass.

hell maybe even a 50 watt amp an AB50? I found mine sounded very nice for guitar until my stupid guitarist abused his privileges. then a fine cheap guitar, but definitely make a sister thread over in that chaotic guitar forum over there, they probably will give you a few nice ideas. good luck!!!
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

about trying them in the store guitar is way easier than bass so be aware of that when chossing, i think bass is funnier and opnes more posivilites
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
Quote by the humanity
I have never had any interest in playing guitar since the ripe old age of 12. I personally like bass. but, if you learn guitar, you will be able to see if music really is your kinda thing. I hope it is, and it probably is, but you can get a decent guitar for cheaper than a decent bass. you can do that, get maybe a 15-25 watt bass amp, then in a couple months, buy a cheap bass.

hell maybe even a 50 watt amp an AB50? I found mine sounded very nice for guitar until my stupid guitarist abused his privileges. then a fine cheap guitar, but definitely make a sister thread over in that chaotic guitar forum over there, they probably will give you a few nice ideas. good luck!!!

2 questions, can a ugitar play through the bass amp?

and does acoustic sell in the uk#?
Last edited by The Toaster at Oct 26, 2008,
Quote by The Toaster
2 questions, can a ugitar play through the bass amp?

and does acoustic sell in the uk#?

yes, use your own thread, you mde it for a reason I would assume

and sadly no. Ashdown does though...
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

I would try both in a music store. Maybe look for a beginner song or two for each instrument, and ask the salesperson if you can spend 30 minutes to an hour with each.

See what feels best, and which you would like to paly primarily. For example, I played guitar for 14 years, and decided to "switch" to the bass. Now, I still play guitar, and obviously, I didn't forget what I learned, but the bass feels more satisfying to me sonically and musically. That being said, when I pick up a Les Paul, it feels natural.

So, it depends on where you see yourself in terms of music. Will you join a band? If so, what role do you want to play?

Theres nothing wrong with playing multiple instruments, but you will likely have a preference for one over the other...so think it through. There are enough used instruments in pawn shops from people making impulse buys!
I fooled around with guitar first (never played) and learned the bass. Then I started learning the guitar and I'm doing fine, and in fact have a better sense of rhythm because of it. Same with piano and drums. Go with bass, guitars are overrated.
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
my old man taught me open chords on his cheap acoustic, but then i heard pink floyd and bought a starter bass and amp. learnt on that for 12 months, but guitar interested me again, so i bought an epi les paul 3 weeks ago and play both through my bass amp.

all this is on my own too. no real interest in joining a band at this stage, though my mates have a rhythm guitarist spot available.

also, learning to play bass with a pick helped to play metal riffs on guitar. eg. megadeth - sweating bullets, second half of metallica - one.

depending on your budget and tastes, its possbile to have both. and enjoy both as well.

NB: if you get a bass, learn fingerstyle first.
I started with acoustic( not much) and then bought a bass. now I play a good bit of guitar at home. I enjoy both equally depending on what mood i'm in.

If you decide to do bass first and then move to guitar, playing through a bass amp is a good option. I highly recommend getting a bass amp with a bright switch and an adjustable mid selector/knob. when i play guitar i use a peavey 60watt with 1x12 in it and it has a bright switch and a adjustable mids knob. works well enough. you'll also need a distortion pedal. I use a bass distortion pedal but if you were going to use it for guitar only i'd get a guitar pedal.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Get the guitar. Its much more versatile and you can play actual songs on it. Bass is for the lazy. Plus you wont have to ever worry about being heard..... So get the guitar and learn on that and then later on you can buy a bass just for fun/dicking around. Basses are just fun toys and nothing else.
Bass can be fun on your own, coming up with little riff's on bass can be just like guitar, you can do all the thing's on guitar.. on a bass. ok you dont have 6 string's, but you can still jam along to drum rythms on your bass, which is really fun to be honest

To bastard fan, or what ever he is called. dont listen to him, i bet he cant play guitar and/ or bass to save his life, you know, one of those "guitar hero" kid's.

I'd like too see you play some bass and then tell me it's a toy, dick.
Black Knight CF-60F Semi-Acoustic.

Black Knight CP200 (Red flamed maple).

Neck-thru 4 string bass.

Acoustic 6 string.
Thanks people, made up decision, getting guitar, mainly because I went to the shop earlier today, basically bass didn't feel right/ the love wasn't there.
Quote by Daniel8488

To bastard fan, or what ever he is called. dont listen to him, i bet he cant play guitar and/ or bass to save his life, you know, one of those "guitar hero" kid's.

I'd like too see you play some bass and then tell me it's a toy, dick.

but seriously dont give up on trying to learn bass or any other instrument for that matter trying out new things is always good
wakka wakka wakka wakka
Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join!
Last edited by milldog at Oct 27, 2008,
Quote by SlayedInTheFace
Thanks people, made up decision, getting guitar, mainly because I went to the shop earlier today, basically bass didn't feel right/ the love wasn't there.

Fair enough, at the end of the day, there's only going to be one instrument you love. Mine is bass, my friend loves guitar, together we're an awesome songwriting duo. Make sure you always appreciate bass though, as it is certainly not "a toy" (for the record, what's that retard doing in the bass forum anyway).
"I hope I die before I get old"-Words of Pete Townsend, 1945-

"I hope I die before I turn into Pete Townsend"-Words of Kurt Cobain, 1967-1994

Funny old world eh.
Quote by wouldyakindly
Fair enough, at the end of the day, there's only going to be one instrument you love. Mine is bass, my friend loves guitar, together we're an awesome songwriting duo. Make sure you always appreciate bass though, as it is certainly not "a toy" (for the record, what's that retard doing in the bass forum anyway).

Don't worry, bass isn't completely out of my radar, my friend owns 2 so I may play on them, and in no way do I think its a toy, it is held very highly in my regards, and if anything, guitar hero got me into bass...
Quote by SlayedInTheFace

Don't turn into a guitard.