Has anybody tried this combination with the 81 in the bridge and a higher output neck pickup? I don't frequently use the neck pickup right now which is an EMG 85, just because I don't often have the need for a warmer tone. I'm almost always on my 81, but I'm thinking maybe it would be cool to switch up to the neck pickup for a really high output trashy tone. It would sort of kick it up a notch from the 81's beefiness for any kind of harmonized lead rhythms or solos.
IIRC, you can't easily mix actives and passives.

Plus, the dimebucker sucks.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
well the dimebucker is pasive pickup and emgs are active so its gonna take some tricky wiring might end out rely well tho
Quote by powerhead
It's just an easy way to shift blame as always. If Slipknot caused people to get murdered, then spoons caused Rosie O'Donnell to get fat.

MY LISTಠ_ಠ
--(Matt)--
cmalm04
dwmacfar2
If you can't mix actives and passives, then what about the active duncan pickups? I really dislike effects pedals, so I don't want to go that route. I want something I can switch to and immediately hear an increased volume and top end.

I don't know much about wiring guitars, but it seems to me like if you seperated the wiring for the switch instead of bridging them together on the middle selector, that it wouldn't be a problem? Even if that doesn't work, there has to be some way to seperate the wiring with a completely different selector switch.
Last edited by MooSir2u at Oct 25, 2008,
Quote by MooSir2u
If you can't mix actives and passives, then what about the active duncan pickups? I really dislike effects pedals, so I don't want to go that route. I want something I can switch to and immediately hear an increased volume and top end.

Switching from an active to a passive will, relative to the active, decrease volume.
Just buy an EHX LPB (or whatever its called), and it will give a nice BOOST without touching your tone at all. It only has one knob, so it's simple, and does EXACTLY what you want with no hassle.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
Quote by MooSir2u

I don't know much about wiring guitars, but it seems to me like if you seperated the wiring for the switch instead of bridging them together on the middle selector, that it wouldn't be a problem? Even if that doesn't work, there has to be some way to seperate the wiring with a completely different selector switch.

why not throw another 81 in the neck if that's what you're after ?
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
I read this somewhere else online

This is the best alternative. Install an EMG-PA-2 on the passive pickups. There are two benefits to doing this. With the trimpot on the PA-2, you can adjust the gain of the passive pickups to match the EMG's. The PA-2 acts as an impedance matching device so you can use the low-impedance EMG controls (25K) without affecting the tone of the passive pickups. You will also be able to use other EMG accessory circuits such as the SPC, RPC, EXB, EXG, etc. For this application, we recommend ordering the PA-2 without the switch for easy installation on the inside of a guitar.

So I guess I can install a passive pickup, and it will act as though it is active because it boosts the signal. If I understand that correctly.
Quote by mikeyElite
why not throw another 81 in the neck if that's what you're after ?

I'm trying to stray away from the lower end punch that the 81 has, and get a very high end tone out of my guitar. Another 81 would only give me more of the same, and boosting an 81 I don't think would give me the results I desire.
Quote by Simsimius
Switching from an active to a passive will, relative to the active, decrease volume.
Just buy an EHX LPB (or whatever its called), and it will give a nice BOOST without touching your tone at all. It only has one knob, so it's simple, and does EXACTLY what you want with no hassle.

it does touch your tone. Its not such a great pedal. I own it, its cheap, it gives you a boost, but its far from great. Its worth its 40$ though.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
EDIT^ Oh, OK.

Quote by MooSir2u
I'm trying to stray away from the lower end punch that the 81 has, and get a very high end tone out of my guitar. Another 81 would only give me more of the same, and boosting an 81 I don't think would give me the results I desire.

How about buying an EQ, adjust it to taste (more high, less low?), and only turning on it on when you want that sound. Problem solved.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
Most people that are hating on the Dimebucker.. don't listen to them because most of them never even hear or probably tried them. You have to try them yourself and see if YOU like them.
Quote by Simsimius
EDIT^ Oh, OK.

How about buying an EQ, adjust it to taste (more high, less low?), and only turning on it on when you want that sound. Problem solved.

Problem not solved, there's a huge difference between adjusting your tone on an amplifier, and adjusting the output of your guitar. Duncan's provide a much different output for artificial harmonics and such that you can't get out of an EMG, no matter how your amp or effects are arranged.

My live setup is going to be a triple rec with analog volume, noise suppressor, chorus, echo, and wah. That's all I want and need out of effects.
Quote by MooSir2u
Problem not solved, there's a huge difference between adjusting your tone on an amplifier, and adjusting the output of your guitar. Duncan's provide a much different output for artificial harmonics and such that you can't get out of an EMG, no matter how your amp or effects are arranged.

My live setup is going to be a triple rec with analog volume, noise suppressor, chorus, echo, and wah. That's all I want and need out of effects.

Active pickups are effectively an EQ (they're a pre-amp).
By subtly adjusting an EQ straight after the guitar, you can sculpt the tone the pickups produce, and change how they sound.

It's not adjusting the tone of the amp, but adjusting the tone of your signal. Big difference.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
Quote by Graveworm
Most people that are hating on the Dimebucker.. don't listen to them because most of them never even hear or probably tried them. You have to try them yourself and see if YOU like them.

I have, and the result was EXACTLY what everyone says. Mud. Mud. Mud. Mud.

Why would a guitarist in search of tone get a Dimebucker?
To me:
Quote by crazy8rgood

In fact, I almost ALWAYS agree with YourDad.

Quote by itchy guitar
One of the best replies ever.

In the same thread

Do you love Arsis?
Quote by Simsimius
Active pickups are effectively an EQ (they're a pre-amp).
By subtly adjusting an EQ straight after the guitar, you can sculpt the tone the pickups produce, and change how they sound.

It's not adjusting the tone of the amp, but adjusting the tone of your signal. Big difference.

You're still not producing that tone straight out of the guitar, you're manipulating it once it's already there. Yes you can adjust how the sound is perceived, but not picked up from the actual guitar. You aren't going to get mind blowing feedback out of a pickup that doesn't produce it by changing an eq, you're only going to get feedback out of the amplifier, which isn't the same.
You can mix active and passive pickups. This is from EMG's website.
Can I mix EMG's with passive pickups?
It is possible to mix EMG's with passive pickups.
There are three possible wiring configurations; one is better than the other two.

Use the high impedance (250K-500K) volume and tone controls.
The problem is that the high impedance controls act more like a switch to the EMG's.
The passive pickups, however, will work fine.
If you have a guitar with two pickups and two volume pots, with a three-way switch, there is another alternative.
Use the 25K pots for the EMG, and the 250K or 500k pots for the passive pickup.
This way you can use one or the other with no adverse affects,
but with the switch in the middle position the passive pickup will have reduced gain and response.

Use the low-impedance (25K) volume and tone controls provided with the EMG's.
The problem here is that the passive pickups will suffer a reduction in gain and loss of high-frequency response.

This is the best alternative.
Install an EMG-PA-2 on the passive pickups. There are two benefits to doing this.
With the trimpot on the PA-2, you can adjust the gain of the passive pickups to match the EMG's.
The PA-2 acts as an impedance matching device so you can use the low-impedance EMG controls (25K) without affecting the tone
of the passive pickups.
You will also be able to use other EMG accessory circuits such as the SPC, RPC, EXB, EXG, etc.
For this application, we recommend ordering the PA-2 without the switch for easy installation on the inside of a guitar.

I personally don't know about a Dimebucker in the neck but if that's what you want try it. If it doesn't work as well as you hoped you can always try a different pickup.
Quote by YourDad

I've never tried one, I figured from Dimebag's sound on records that it would be good a good match for what I'm thiinking of, but if not I guess I will search for something else.
Quote by YourDad

Yeah sure you did.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=xJP1RI-Z5zo&feature=related
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=BaII9fc-Ntc
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=zIZp-_08dKY ( he is using a crap amp)
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=c0RllrJ8844&feature=related

Looks like they didn't find good tone.

They are so MUDDY...
Last edited by Graveworm at Oct 25, 2008,
Quote by Graveworm

It's not what Dime generally used though.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by aznrockerdude
It's not what Dime generally used though.

Yeah, he used Bills, I know.