ok heres the question its quite long and is bugging the hell outta me:

excess N2 was reacted with 1 mol F2 under suitable conditions to give 24 dm^3 (measured at room temp/ pressure) of a colourless gas, [A]. Reaction of 12dm^3 of [A] with an additional 24 dm^3 of F2 in a sealed vessel at room temp pressure led to a decrease in pressure to 2/3 atm and the formation of a single gaseous product , which contains 19.7% N.

Sufficient O2 was then introduced to bring the pressure to 1 atm. After passing an electric discharge throught the vessel , the pressure dropped to 2/3 atm and a single producct [C] was formed (boiling point -88 degrees). equal volumes of [c] and B(F3) were reacted to give a single crystaline product [D] which contains 9 % N

What the hell is [A], , [c] and [D]????
"Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes"

"Like a blind man at an orgy, I was going to have to feel my way through"

Last edited by YngwieJnr at Oct 25, 2008,
im an english major...
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
-Modest Mouse, "Novocaine Stain"
wow no ones corrected my grammar yet it should be what ARE [A], ,[C] and [D]
"Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes"

"Like a blind man at an orgy, I was going to have to feel my way through"

Man, I took Chemistry last year and I can't remember a single thing from that class. Your post is gibberish to me.
i believe its concentrations [C]^c[D]^d / [A]^a^b, where a,b,c,d are the coefficients of the chemicals after they are balanced.
? Just take off your pants, there is no need for pants in science.
■■■
'member The Pit of 10'? oH, I 'member!

╚═ ▼▲▼▲▼═╝
ok heres the question its quite long and is bugging the hell outta me:

excess N2 was reacted with 1 mol F2 under suitable conditions to give 24 dm^3 (measured at room temp/ pressure) of a colourless gas, [A]. Reaction of 12dm^3 of [A] with an additional 24 dm^3 of F2 in a sealed vessel at room temp pressure led to a decrease in pressure to 2/3 atm and the formation of a single gaseous product , which contains 19.7 N.

Sufficient O2 was then introduced to bring the pressure to 1 atm. After passing an electric discharge throught the vessel , the pressure dropped to 2/3 atm and a single producct [C] was formed (boiling point -88 degrees). equal volumes of [c] and B(F3) were reacted to give a single crystaline product [D] which contains 9 % N

What the hell is [A], , [c] and [D]????

24 dm^3 (or 24 liter) is the volume that 1 mole of gas occupies under normal pressure.
A)So 1 mole of F2 reacts with nitrogen to give 1 mole of a compound. Therefor it is likely to have 2 fluorine atoms in it and this would mean N2F2 (F-N=N-F).
B)You add 4 fluorine molecules per N2F2 which would become N2F6 which dissociates into NF3 (nitrogen trifluoride).
C) you add 2 oxygen atoms per 2 NF3 molecules, likely each NF3 molecule oxidizes one oxygen molecule to generate dioxygendifluoride and difluorohydrazine (F4N2, single bond between the oxygens)
EDIT: i am doubting C as well now, FNO could also be formed somehow? Looks like I need twice the amount of oxygen in the reaction above. Edit2: **** it, apparantly you can oxidize NF3 itself to NF3O, nitrogentrifluoride oxide which can form a borotrifluoride complex in D.
D)This is a NF3O-BF3 complex most likely

Anyway, the best thing is that apparently nitrogen won't react with fluorine by itself.
Last edited by Dylan_IE at Oct 25, 2008,