If you get really burnt out and kinda lose motivation to play it would be best. when that happens to me I put it down for a bit then come back and all is well.
I take breaks quite frequently actually. I'll play 3 days and then take a break for a day. Not all of us can be like Zakk Wylde, who would often start playing guitar as soon as he got home from school, play all night and not stop until he had to go to school the next morning, and then he would just sleep through his classes.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Ya, it would probably be a good idea to rest your fingers, so that they're not constantly tired. biologically, it would improve your muscle reactions, so it could actually help you play better!
Gear:
Fender Hot Rod Deville 2x12
Custom Built Guitar (made it myself)
PRS SE Soapbar II Maple
Fender Stratacoustic (Stolen! )
Digitech RP200
Boss MT-2
Roland Microcube
I like my stuff!
play for a hour rest for halfnhour when your training stuff like scales ect..
Yeah, I think a day off once a week is a good thing. It gives you a rest physically, and gives the brain a chance for all the things you are learning to sink in.
Or, rather than making it specifically once a week, just listen to your body/mind. If you've been playing for a number of days in a row and are starting to feel kind of flat physically and mentally, then that's probably a good time to take a day off then.
Every other weekend I don't have a guitar around. When I come back on the Monday, I feel reborn.

I find I get stale if I play religiously every day for a long period of time. Put the guitar down for a day or two, come back, and I guarantee you'll be extra excited about playing, and your creative juices will be flowing freely.

Taking a break is kind of like flushing out any musical biases you've built up while playing every single day.
Quote by TGautier13
Because e-cred on a sub-par 4Chan knockoff forum is what everyone strives to achieve.
We believe - so we're misled
We assume - so we're played
We confide - so we're deceived
We trust - so we're betrayed
If you feel like playing, then play. If you dont, then dont. It's pretty simple really. Once you start getting into a routine where your forcing yourself to play or not to play, your going to lose the desire to play all together. Just remember why your playing, for fun and enjoyment.
Quote by ramm_ty
Taking a break is kind of like flushing out any musical biases you've built up while playing every single day.

Damn, now that I think about it, that's exactly how it is! + 2

If you lose motivation, then yes, taking a break makes you more creative, your muscle memory smoother, and your mind more open.
Quote by Andrew07
If you feel like playing, then play. If you dont, then dont. It's pretty simple really. Once you start getting into a routine where your forcing yourself to play or not to play, your going to lose the desire to play all together. Just remember why your playing, for fun and enjoyment.

This. That and to impress many many many many voman.
Quote by YetAnotherMuso
This. That and to impress many many many many voman.

In the long run you'll be better and impress more women because you didn't get frustrated and quit all together.
it's a matter of opinion. in mine, i don't one should take any breaks! only if your fingers get sore, or some part of the hand starts to hurt. other than that, hell no! keep on eroding those frets!
I haven't picked up my guitar for about 6 days (i tell a lie everytime i walk past it I pick it up and have a wee go for like 45 seconds). Sometimes you do just get a bit tired especially coming into the winter and coming home after work/school I just can't really be bothered to learn anything new, and I don't want to mindlessly play crap so I just take a bit a of a break until I feel I really want to play, which is actually today. I think taking a break now and then is healthy and I think everyone does at some point.

Saying that however I am constantly reading theory books, I don't feel a need to take a rest from that because it's just too interesting. So I find when I set the guitar down I pick up more on Theory and have a bit more time for that, then in turn it kinda motivates me to pick up the guitar again and try out what I've learned. Nothing wrong with taking breaks though.
I factor taking 1 day breaks into my practice routine religiously. You give your wrist/hand/finger muscles a well deserved break and it allows that muscle memory to sit in. It also gives your brain time to sort out everything youre working on. I always come back from my breaks really on point with playing. Playing everyday all the time really stagnates my creativity. Take your mind off it for a bit!
I play when i feel like it to be honest, im not one of these people who have like a ****in scedule 'oh must play guitar for at least 4 hours a day'
nah mate, i dont know, do it when you feel like it, if you think you need a break take it and gives those fingers some fresh air
Current favourite bands:
METALLICA
MASTODON
NILE
Quote by The.new.guy
Here's a question I have...

Can you get to play fast (180+BPM) if you take breaks?

That's like asking "Zomg can I do well in school if I don't study on Saturdays?" Taking breaks is part of life. No human in existence can go 24/7 at something without ever taking a break. Don't worry so much about trivial details and just play your damn guitar. Focusing on important fundamentals is what will make you successful.
Last edited by fixationdarknes at Oct 29, 2008,