Hello UG!
I have recently aquired a rather lovely new amplifier!
It's a Marshall JCM 800 4104 50w combo, and i'm very very happy i've got one.

As we all know valve amps have to be cranked to get "the sound" from them, but I really don't want to deafen myself or my neighbours with it to achieve the best from this amp as it was a impulse buy and who doesn't want a Marshall JCM 800 to plug their guitar into!

I've been reading up on power attenuators, which let you push the amplifier to its limits, while keeping the volume at a manageable level for bedroom practice, band practice and even gigs. So to me it seems like a good investment to get one.

On other hand after lurking through the forums there have been people saying it colour's the amps true tone and what not.

So my question is, would a power attenuator be worth me spending a bit of money on? which power attenuators would be good for me?
and whether or not there are any faults for them?

Thank you for any responses
Chris

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Last edited by Chrisiphone at Oct 25, 2008,
Everything colors tone, but don't let that sway you. I would suggest a weber mass, great attenuators. They are flexible and pretty cheap, but well made. I use one and I don't notice any tone loss unless I'm at 90-100% attenuation.

What you will miss is the sound of a pushed speaker, your option there is to get lower wattage speakers or just deal with it, it doesn't bother me.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
My weber is awesome, i have a Mass 100, and that would fit your amp perfectly, its much cheaper than THD hotplates, and supposedly suck less tone.

when you attenuate very heavily though you should expect some tone loss
Ibanez Jem 777BK, Carvin DC727, Fender MIM Strat
Mesa Boogie DC5
Xotic BB Preamp, Ts9, BBE GS, Boss DD-6
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Ask me any questions about my gear!
Thanks for the suggestions guys, good old GG&A!
I've been researching the Weber Mass 100, but there is a Weber Mass Lite 100.
Is there any difference between them except the lack on knobs and features?
A simple one would be more use to me!

E-Married to Funny_Page
^It's the same, just a different equalizer. If money was no object I would go for the biggest and baddest, but that would be fine on a budget.
Ahh okay then, thank you very much Kevin Saale!
I'd really like to get one thats cheap, but quality.
My mum isn't too happy with all this spending!
I'll have a look round for a Weber Mass Lite 100 then!

E-Married to Funny_Page
^ They are cheap, but they're very well made. When I had my hot rod deluxe I consistently ran my 50watt miniMASS well past it's limit, no damage, just a funny smell from the resistors getting hot and making the epoxy stink. Attenuators are very simple gadgets and it's shameful what THD charges for one.