Page 1 of 2
basically, ive been thinking about getting a 8-string or 7-string (guitar)
& usually when you get a new guitar most people would probably learn some covers

& i was thinking if i got an 8-string... what metal bands play with 8-strings??

i think the only two i know are Divine Heresy & i havnt heard Meshuggah much, but ive been told they use 8-strings too

anyway... bands that play 8-strings??

thanks
Divine Heresy sucks.

Also, I think it'd be badass to play Meshuggah songs and kind of experiment with an 8 string, but they're really expensive. I don't think it's worth it, really.
Quote by DrPants PhD
Get a 7 string and play some... Dream Theater!

*fixed*

Quote by The Virtuoso
Yes, you sir win the internet!

Quote by saphrax
To put it crudely, every hole is a goal.

Quote by DrPants PhD
Good idea.

EDIT: Maybe some Nevermore as well.

Dream theater and a few other bands (but mostly Petrucci) are the only reasons (besides my own compositions) for why I want a 7-string. Just that urge to play Glass Prison and then finding out that its 7-string almost melted me in my own spot.

Quote by The Virtuoso
Yes, you sir win the internet!

Quote by saphrax
To put it crudely, every hole is a goal.

I agree on the 8-string guitars being too expensive. Just go for the 7 string and you can blast out some Morbid Angel, Nevermore, Dream Theater, etc.

The only reason an 8-string guitar might be useful is if you want to be in a Meshuggah cover band. And I've seen one guy use it for that reason. The other people I've only heard about and they claim that the 8 string Ibanez model is sub-par. I tend to agree as I've played it myself and the 7-string model feels much better. But that's also partially because for an 8-string it's hard to get good sound for. I mean, even on Meshuggah's recordings, it does sound a little dull, but that's probably the point of some of their music.
I've found Jesus
Last edited by Contraband at Oct 25, 2008,
yeah, guess i'll go for a 7-string!

i'll probably get an 8-string eventually, but not yet

when im richer or somet

but i guess i'd still like to know some 8-string users

thanks for everything already guys!
Anchorhead!
Quote by Mike Birbiglia
I went to the doctor, and they found something in my bladder. And whenever they find something, it's never anything good like, "We found something in your bladder AND IT'S SEASON TICKETS TO THE YANKEES!!

Do you folks like folk?
Quote by BringMeTheCalm
Anchorhead!

this
Hi

Quote by iceman95
Fiddler is a god!!!! omg that's a good movie
Does Rustey Cooley use an 8 string? Or is it a 7?
I can't remember...

Either way he's awesome.
yuck. cant stand 8 string guitars.

A band that hasent been mentioned that use em is Pig Destroyer.
Youtube covers

[url="http://www.youtube.com/user/MrJumboHumbo[/URL"]
Quote by rabidarab
Does Rustey Cooley use an 8 string? Or is it a 7?
I can't remember...

7 string, tuned down half a step.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
MESHUGGAH.

End of story, if you're going to do an 8-string cover, do Meshuggah.

If you havent heard much, GO LISTEN.

^
He's laughing at YOU.
You better click that bastard.

Ibanez RG370DX
Peavey Valveking 112 (w/ Bad Monkey and GE-7 EQ)
I can't believe no one mentioned Charlie Hunter. top notch.

I don't have any decent pictures of my 8 string. I have some shitty ones somewhere i'l try to dig up.
Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Boss Metalzone
Peavey Bandit

O i didn't realize this was the metal forum.
Don't mind me
Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Boss Metalzone
Peavey Bandit

Quote by Cmogi10
O i didn't realize this was the metal forum.
Don't mind me

You play non-metal music with your 8 string?
I've found Jesus
Quote by Contraband

You bet.

Back to this guy too
Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Boss Metalzone
Peavey Bandit

Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
7 string, tuned down half a step.

He also uses 8 strings--He uses his fanned fret 8 string conklin tuned low Bb to high Ab on "The Never," "Prelude To Madness," and "The Grey Tide" off Outworld, and I believe one song with Book of Reflections.
Quote by TheShred201
He also uses 8 strings--He uses his fanned fret 8 string conklin tuned low Bb to high Ab on "The Never," "Prelude To Madness," and "The Grey Tide" off Outworld, and I believe one song with Book of Reflections.

Really? I knew he had one but I didn't think he'd actually recorded anything with it.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Contraband

8 strings are used quite a lot out side of metal terratory, they are much more useful for something like jazz where players are adding bass notes to chords and playing melodys or even playing a bass line all at the same time.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by Contraband

8 strings and 7 strings were originally for classical and jazz guitar compisitons.

Though, I must say 8 string chugging sounds really bad.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
^Quick! Somebody tell Meshuggah!
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
I was more pointing to Divine Heresy and Dino Casarez in general, but thank you Slarti

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Dino Cazares gets bonus points for being really fat.

It makes me laugh.
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
Quote by Slaytanic1993
I was more pointing to Divine Heresy and Dino Casarez in general, but thank you Slarti

Hahaha, I agree with your previous statement though. I am not a fan of 8 string guitars. Too muddy in my opinion.

Dino is just too obese to play anything worth while.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
Nebiru: Yeah, 7 strings are cool with the right distortion, but 8 strings have to be eq'd perfectly or it's shit.

Slarti:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAqVWWDlnh4

I can only wonder why...

Quote by eggsandham2
Quote by Slaytanic1993
Nebiru: Yeah, 7 strings are cool with the right distortion, but 8 strings have to be eq'd perfectly or it's shit.

Slarti:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAqVWWDlnh4

I can only wonder why...

I thinks its more that its TOO much of the low end. The human ear can only accept a certain range of sounds. Plus with the general style of extreme metal being as fast as it is already blurs alot of the lines thus ( at least to me) making extremely downtuned and "bassy" fast metal very sloppy sounding.

Slower and extremely bassy is fukking killer though. Such as Barathrum and Ahab and to a lesser extent Electric Wizard.
I mean no offense to anyone who's a fan of Fear Factory or Divine Heresy... But...

^ I remember seeing a video somewhere with Dino. He was called "one of the best rhythm guitarists" and all he did to demonstrate as such was chug in a bunch of different rhythms.

If that's all that it takes to be one the greatest rhythm guitarists out there, than shit, I guess that means I'm not as bad as I think.
Quote by nebiru

Slower and extremely bassy is fukking killer though. Such as Barathrum and Ahab and to a lesser extent Electric Wizard.

Oh, hell yeah. Doom metal can break your face and be fuzzy as shit and it doesn't matter.

'Specially the Wizard, that is ball-breaking music to be stoned.

Quote by eggsandham2
Indeed sir. I got extremely stoned on a bottle of codeine cough syrup yesterday and jammed Ahab and Electric Wizard constantly among a few others.
Was the gain on 15?

If not, I'm ashamed.

Quote by eggsandham2
Haha, it was pretty loud. I was lost to society for over 3 hours.
Page 1 of 2