Right this is driving me absolutely insane and I can't find any kind of solution so i'll be thorough.

I have a Dell dimension 5100 running XP, I haven't used it in a while because it wouldn't connect to the internet so I left it alone. I believed this was because I uninstalled the card by accident. Anyway last week I decided I'd format it's hard drive and re-install XP and then all the drivers and get it working again. All went well but even with the fully installed card it still wont connect all I get in the network connections window is it goes 'Automatic, acquiring network address, Automatic' over and over again.

My ISP is Sky and the router is that little black one (it's either Netgear DG934G or Sagem F@st 2504 (they both look the same)) and it works fine connecting perfectly to 2 vista laptops, a mac, a PSP and an xbox 360 with no hiccups.

Anyway so I figured that maybe the network card is broken (it's a netgear 54 mps 32-bit PCI card WG311 v2) and bought today a peak II 802.II b/g 54 mps card and installed etc. No problems with the install it picks up the network etc but gives me the exact same not connecting problem with both the windows network connections and it's own wireless utility (the other card was the same).

Please help me, if you can get this working i'll be forever in your debt.
make sure all the wireless and shit is enabled on your comp, also try right clicking the wireless thing in the task bar and click repair, my laptop does some crazy shit like that.
I sometimes have trouble connecting as well.

How long have you tried to connect? Give a few days of trying, and then contact sky.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Quote by n to the k
make sure all the wireless and shit is enabled on your comp, also try right clicking the wireless thing in the task bar and click repair, my laptop does some crazy shit like that.

That repair thing has never worked for me on any PC or ISP . I've been with orange/wanadoo, BT and sky lol
Go to the command prompt on one of the working computers and type ipconfig

write down the ip adress and standard gateway.

On the computer that doesn't work, go to network property and instead of automatic IP and whatnot, put down an ip that looks like the ip of the working computer (e.g. if it was 196.181.254.101 give this one 196.181.254.102 or so) and enter the default gateway exactly as mentioned. Restart and maybe that works.
Quote by Simsimius
I sometimes have trouble connecting as well.

How long have you tried to connect? Give a few days of trying, and then contact sky.

I've left it overnight and still nadda. It connects on all my other stuff so i'm not getting sky involved, i've had a pretty bad run with ISP's and this is working so i'm not jinxing it. Orange cut me off for 5 months and never did anything about it apart from charge me £100 in phone-calls to them.
Quote by Killphuqdie
I've left it overnight and still nadda. It connects on all my other stuff so i'm not getting sky involved, i've had a pretty bad run with ISP's and this is working so i'm not jinxing it. Orange cut me off for 5 months and never did anything about it apart from charge me £100 in phone-calls to them.

Well, if it works for others, that means it is definitely the computer.

BUT, I might know what the problem is:
Do you have SP2 installed?

Wireless doesn't work [well] unless SP2 is installed!

I learnt this from experience.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
Quote by Killphuqdie
That repair thing has never worked for me on any PC or ISP . I've been with orange/wanadoo, BT and sky lol

kk. well, when mine goes like that i log into msn then it says to troubleshoot so i click on it and it tells me whats wrong (e.g. ip address. default gateway etc...) then contact your ISP
Quote by Simsimius
Well, if it works for others, that means it is definitely the computer.

BUT, I might know what the problem is:
Do you have SP2 installed?

Wireless doesn't work [well] unless SP2 is installed!

I learnt this from experience.

System properties says it's installed
Quote by n to the k
kk. well, when mine goes like that i log into msn then it says to troubleshoot so i click on it and it tells me whats wrong (e.g. ip address. default gateway etc...) then contact your ISP

It's really nothing to do with the ISP I think especially since i've got it running on different operating systems with no hitches.
1: Press the windows button and r
2: type : ipconfig /release in the box
3: Press enter
4: Press windows + r again
5: Type ipconfig /renew in the box

It should now work
Quote by Killphuqdie
System properties says it's installed

Is is! SP2?

When did you install it?
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO