Right, basically last night was using my laptop. put it in hibernate mode and left it for an hour or so. came back to it and it booted up but then about 2mins later it turned off. Completely randomly, no warning and no shut down procedure. Went to turn it back on. but. I press the power button, and the fan starts to spin as well as the hardrive. It starts to boot then about 2 seconds in the fan stops and the hardrive slows down. Black screen and the keys are unresponsive, cant turn it off by holding the power button down.

does the same whether its running off the battery or plugged in.

any ideas???? its an acer aspire 5720
"A good friend will come bail you out of jail.... But a true friend will be
sitting next to you saying "Damn... we screwed up!"

Quote by Muppet
OMGLOLZORZ!!!!!1111oneoneone

You are SO funny, I can't believe it!

[/sarc. off]
Doesn't sound good...Contact Acer support, they are great.

but my Aspire 5570Z is working strong and I like it, thing is I cant find a battery to replace the old one making it a desktop...

Quote by daniel.mycoe
The hard drive starts spinning?

It's definately broken.

Last edited by moody07747 at Oct 25, 2008,
maybe it overheated ? idk, when i put my computer into sleep mode and then hit a button to get out of it sometimes it just blacks out and turns off then doesn't want to turn on till hours later.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
well it happend last night, and i still cant get it to turn on.....if i leave it 'on' the i can hear the hard drive..making the noise they make....but nothing is happening

Quote by Muppet

[/sarc. off]
Last edited by surferdude at Oct 25, 2008,
plugging in normally bypasses the battery mostly...so I would not think that's the problem.

I just looked up that laptop and found it's the same one my brother got last year for about $250. It sux so much with vista on it. You type in word and it starts slowing down and glitching LOL
My uncle got 2 of them as well...

Overall they are large and slow.
Last edited by moody07747 at Oct 25, 2008,
i dont think its the battery, it dse it regardless of it being plugged into the mains or running off the batery.

as for power source, if there was a problem with this...surely nothing atall would happen......

Quote by Muppet

[/sarc. off]
i also dont think its under warenty anymore....would acer still fix it?

Quote by Muppet

[/sarc. off]
Quote by moody07747
Doesn't sound good...Contact Acer support, they are great.

I REALLY hope you're kidding.

I've had nothing but trouble with those inconsiderate bastards. I've been fighting with them for about 4 months now.

Your problem?
It's an Acer.

Seriously.
I have close to the same problem.
It's a running problem through Acer's
Computers on, but you just get a black screen and no HDD activity.
Mine does it too.
Seriously, you're pretty much ****ed.

You can try calling Acer though. When they 'fix' it, and send it back and it's still broken, call the Better Business Bureau

and
http://thoughtsfrommylife.com/article-663-Acer_Extensa_5420_Black_Screen_On_Startup

I'm not the only one with that problem. That's an entire thread of people who were ****ed by Acer, and their support and such.

I'm still fighting with them. I have a 'mediated conference' to 'resolve' the issue on Monday.
Quote by surferdude
i also dont think its under warenty anymore....would acer still fix it?

Not without a bill....
So yea you may end up spending more than the laptop is worth. IF you are in the market for a new one I suggest looking out at slickdeals.net. I get great deals from them.

Call them and see if they cant do a free check on it to see whats wrong and tell you a price to fix it...
you may have to pay shipping one way to get it to them.

Quote by identityxcrysis
I REALLY hope you're kidding.

I've had nothing but trouble with those inconsiderate bastards. I've been fighting with them for about 4 months now.

Your problem?
It's an Acer.

Seriously.
I have close to the same problem.
It's a running problem through Acer's
Computers on, but you just get a black screen and no HDD activity.
Mine does it too.
Seriously, you're pretty much ****ed.

You can try calling Acer though. When they 'fix' it, and send it back and it's still broken, call the Better Business Bureau

and
http://thoughtsfrommylife.com/article-663-Acer_Extensa_5420_Black_Screen_On_Startup

I'm not the only one with that problem. That's an entire thread of people who were ****ed by Acer, and their support and such.

I'm still fighting with them. I have a 'mediated conference' to 'resolve' the issue on Monday.

I have heard some complaints from Acer customers but I was very happy with any issues they walked me though when I called them...