So...guys,
Inspired by the recently made and updated bass building threads, I would like to know how hard it is to build your own bass.A guy at my school who's taking Agricultural mechanics was telling me about his idea of making a guitar for his woodworking project.Now this guy is one that probably isn't going to do very well with that, being that he is a total guitar n00b,but Im not worried about his project.His Idea got me thinking that if I took the same class next semester that I would have the chance to model My own bass guitar.I'm thinking about buying a pre-routed bass body blank from warmoth and then, after fitting it with electronics and pups, buying a neck, tuners,bridge, and all the other fixings to complete it.Is this a good idea?How hard would it actually be for someone who's never tried this before?
Many thanks are awarded to all non-negetive comments.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
Quote by c3powil
So...guys,
Inspired by the recently made and updated bass building threads, I would like to know how hard it is to build your own bass.A guy at my school who's taking Agricultural mechanics was telling me about his idea of making a guitar for his woodworking project.Now this guy is one that probably isn't going to do very well with that, being that he is a total guitar n00b,but Im not worried about his project.His Idea got me thinking that if I took the same class next semester that I would have the chance to model My own bass guitar.I'm thinking about buying a pre-routed bass body blank from warmoth and then, after fitting it with electronics and pups, buying a neck, tuners,bridge, and all the other fixings to complete it.Is this a good idea?How hard would it actually be for someone who's never tried this before?
Many thanks are awarded to all non-negetive comments.

it will take ALOT of your time, but be careful and it wont be that hard
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Fender Hot Rod Devile 4x12

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
its easy just takes a while but you have to be a perfectionist
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
Ok, sounds cool.But what about the electronics?Is there a certain way to go about installing them?
Quote by c3powil
Ok, sounds cool.But what about the electronics?Is there a certain way to go about installing them?

it depends. what are you planning? active 3 band EQ? passive volume and tone? and even with putting them in, you have to hook them up to the pickup(s) and place them in through the rout, whatever that may be... tell us what you plan, not only will you get multitudes of useless but appreciated 'sexy build' comments, you will also get better help. I promise I wont steal your build. when I start building, I know exactly what I'm doing.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Well i wouldnt exactly call that buildong your own guitar more "buying and puttin together guitar". It still will be difficult and will take alot of your time. But its best to know what you want first before putting and buying all this stuff.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
it shouldt be too hard to put the parts together
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
its not hard just time consuming becuase you have to measure 6 times before you cut
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by the humanity
it depends. what are you planning? active 3 band EQ? passive volume and tone? and even with putting them in, you have to hook them up to the pickup(s) and place them in through the rout, whatever that may be... tell us what you plan, not only will you get multitudes of useless but appreciated 'sexy build' comments, you will also get better help. I promise I wont steal your build. when I start building, I know exactly what I'm doing.

It depends on what pickups im going to be using.I want this bass to be my own personal "sig" bass so i want it to be completely versitile.I was thinking about two MM style humbuckers from carvin and a switch for selecting single coil modes on each.I dont know about the active preamp.If its not that much harder to install then shurely it would make a great accomidation. I go by the "more knobs and switches the better" philosophy.
well, if all youre doing is shaping the body blank into a body, would that really even fly as a final project in a woodworking class? None of the assembly or electronics stuff (as educational as it is) really counts as woodworking. Why not do the same thing, except start from scractch with the body?

I'm with you on not bothering with making my own neck on the first try, but you can probably plane your own wood, glue your own blank together, shape and route the body if you're in a controlled class setting. I say start from scartch there.
I think I would like to do that, but, as inexpeirenced as I am, I would think that would be a little out of my league.Could someone give me a quick rundown of the process of making a blank and routing my own body?
I like the idea,though, because i would really want a core wood with some type of show wood on top (quilted mple or spalted maple).
I have a feeling that this is going to get verry expensive...

So, Option one-
A routed swamp ash bass body blank

one of these four string paddle head bass necks from carvin
https://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=BN4K
two of these MM style humbuckers
https://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=HB4
The electronics
https://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=501B
tuners
https://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=C4C
Carvin hardware-
not decided as of yet
bridge-
not decided as of yet

Option two
make my own blank (no clue how to do)
basically everything else the same.

The finish will be a clear coat(to show the wood grain) of whatever kind of guitar finish I can get my hands on.

EDIT: Oh!And if I do go with option two, I will get a neck-through neck and split the blank in half sos I can have a neck-through bass.
Last edited by c3powil at Oct 26, 2008,
Quote by c3powil
I think I would like to do that, but, as inexpeirenced as I am, I would think that would be a little out of my league.Could someone give me a quick rundown of the process of making a blank and routing my own body?

I imagine those are the type of skills you'd learn in the class, or did I misunderstand that you wanted to take the class like your friend is doing?
Were not the most populated school in georgia with only 750 students in both middle and high school.All of the agricultural classes are filled with slackers and troublemakers with the exeptional few that actually have the drive to do good in school.Long story short, I dont really intend to learn much from the class, its more of an excuse for my parents to let me do it.Actually, the more I think about it the more idependent this project becomes.
as a note on the project, a MM humbucker won't sound the same without the active electronics.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

Yea, a Carvin Active/passive bass module should do the trick.My Ideas sre changing everyday.I know I definately want a bucker at the bridge and Ill probably theow in a duncan quarter pounder or an EMG of some sort.
wait P/H? I've heard this once, and it is sexy. do it.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Oh,yes.Very sexy.
The guy that I said was making a guitar this semester did it out of compressed sawdust...
Quote by c3powil
Oh,yes.Very sexy.
The guy that I said was making a guitar this semester did it out of compressed sawdust...

eww. he should at least epoxy blue jeans together, that would at least look cool, and the weave would sustain better. it aint wood, but at least it's not that crap.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

If your buying a pre made body, neck, and everything. Its just bolting a bunch of parts on, not really "building" anything more or less assembling something. BUILDING a bass is a whooooole nother ball game, trust me, it's what I do. It takes a ridiculous amount of planning and preparing, measuring 8 times cutting once.
My Ideas are changing every day, but the things I am set on as of now will probably stay the same.Im going to take Mikes advice, and, with the help of talkbass, make my own blank out of bubinga if I can get enough for a decent price.This way I wont have to put finish on the body.You can leave bubinga unfinished, right? The humbucker and precision bass pickups are pretty set-on also.What kind would you reccomend to get a warwick sound? Thats really what Im going for here.

Edit: Also, I'd really like it to be a six stringer.Would this be harder to build than a five or four stringer?
It sure would be. I havent really followed but eitheir making a neck or buying one for a 6 string is going to be more difficult and will cost more. If this is your first go keep it simple. You might be able to pick up some mec pickups off ebay or something.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
for sixers, I have never seen a split coil. you may have to make it yourself if you need a six string. I'd go with the pickup over the extra strings.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Ok, It was just a whim.Ill stick with four strings.