Hello everyone. I was hoping someone could lend a helping hand. I bought a guitar last week and it seems to have an awkward first fret. Its a 1974 Epiphone FT-135 and it sounds as if there is no distinctive tone with each individual string, almost as if Im strumming six B strings. The strings are touching the first fret which I think is the problem. Im not sure if I should raise the saddle or shave the first fret, so that the fret is flat with the fingerboard? Im quite confused, never seen another one like it.
Here's a link to see a photo.

http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/nn241/deegz8/?action=view&current=Documents85096.jpg

I would really appreciate any input.

Charlie
a new neck nut may be needed... other than that i'd take it to a guitar shop and get them to have a look at it, they should know how to sort it out.
It has a zero fret O.o

Is it the Zero fret it's hitting, or is the the actual first fret? The zero fret is actually there to make the open strings sound just like fretted notes.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Last edited by Shinozoku at Oct 25, 2008,
The "zero" fret is the one that is hitting. Is there anything I can do to make it sound "normal"? It's great for fingerpicking but when I strum, it sounds dead.

The reason I was trying to avoid taking it to a luthier is because it is not an expensive guitar, and I did not want to spend anymore money in case it didnt have a solution.

Thanks guys
Uhm, I think that you'd have to move the nut up to where the zero fret is and actually remove the zero fret to get it to intonate right. Otherwise, you're stuck with the zero fret. Make sure the neck isn't bowing too much, or bent back too much. Just get it set up at local music store and see if that helps. If the neck is bowing or backbowing some, tha might affect the sound at the zero fret.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Sounds like my only choice is to take it to a local shop. Hopefully they can find a solution.

Thanks for the input guys.