So, I've only really just begun to favor electric guitar over acoustic. And I really have NO idea where to go when it comes to effects. I know almost nothing. I'm looking into getting a good effects board (that's what those are called, right?) but I'm not sure where to start.

Also, any good ideas on where to learn the basics of mixing effects?
erm, i mainly just go on youtube and type in for example ''guitar distortion pedal'' or ''guitar overdrive pedal'' or something and get my ideas from there.

sorry if this didn't help much but i've not long been playing with effects myself although i've been playing a few years.
I don't think you should worry about effects as a beginner, unless your amp doesn't have any built-in distortion.
you're probably gonna want to start off with a good distortion pedal. depending on what style you want to play, there's a ton of 'em out there. an ibanez tube screamer seems to cover a lot of bases, though. or get a multi-effects pedal and filter through the presets and see if you find one you like.
Kodiak bears make awesome bandmates.

Quote by wolvenrick
no seriously 7x NGD is epicness i declare you the winner of all NGD's on UG never have i seen this xD
if you have distortion dont worry about other effect until later then try a multi effect like the rp series by digi tech
Well, I'm not quite a beginner to playing. I've been playing for maybe a year and a half. It's just I never got into any effects, distortion, and the like, and right now I'm beginning to feel I need something beyond the pre-sets on the amp. I just don't know where to start.
Quote by XacrossXwatersX
Well, I'm not quite a beginner to playing. I've been playing for maybe a year and a half. It's just I never got into any effects, distortion, and the like, and right now I'm beginning to feel I need something beyond the pre-sets on the amp. I just don't know where to start.

ok, what kinda music nd bands are you into?
Quote by user_name>_>
ok, what kinda music nd bands are you into?

A lot of rock stuff. Recently, I've been listening the crap out of I Am Ghost's "Lover's Requiem", or AFI's (don't kill me) "Sing the Sorrow". Uh . . . there's also Underoath's "Lost in the Sound of Separation", or Renae's "The Coward, The Storm and the Outlaw" . . .

I really have to say AFI's Jade Pudget is probably my favorite guitarist of all time.
ok, well im assuming you know how to play some of their songs, so just listen for some sounds./noises nd look for similar sounds from demos of pedals, did that make sense?
Yeah, I guess that does. But I still don't know where to learn how to mix effects, like reverb, those funky high, medium, and low knobs, and shape, and stuff like that.

I don't even get what they do.
"Normal people are so hostile."
-Dexter Morgan
youre best bet is to go out, go to some guitar shop nd ask to try out a pedal (just point one out) nd mess about with the settings nd learn what each one does like that thats how i do it lol
There was an hour long video on youtube that displayed every single boss pedal. I couldn't find it but maybe you could. I'd also consider buying the cheapest multi-fx pedal you can find. There fun to mess with at first, but you will hate it in the long run.