Been playing for about 3 years now. I currently have a roland cube 30 and a epiphone standard les paul with a bunch of effect pedal(DD-7, DS-2 and Small Clone). basically want to go that step up but have no idea which to get. i play a mix of hard rock but also love to blues out aswell. Been told that the Marshall MG100HDFX is pretty good but someone else said that is not worth getting a solid state amp and that i should get a valve one but i have not idea about the difference.
all help will be appreciated.

In the UK and not massive maybe £500 more like £300-400 budget.
Last edited by MuseAddict123 at Oct 25, 2008,
get something like a Peavey Classic 30 instead of a half stack...

solid state half stacks = money going to the drain
FFS...read the sticky.

Play a Cort ?

Play with V-Picks ?

Every minute is to be Grasped........................................................................Time waits for nobody.

Budget? Location?

Play a Cort ?

Play with V-Picks ?

Every minute is to be Grasped........................................................................Time waits for nobody.

Not a half stack for starters. You don't need it.

If you must have a halfstack, Bugera or B-52 AT series. Do not waste you're time or money on a SS Half Stack. Look into a tube combo, or save up until you can afford a 1500$+ Half Stack.
If you arent gigging then you arent going to need a half stack even if you are gigging you probably dont need one. For the money spent on say a MG halfstack, which is junk, you can get a really nice tube combo.
500 pounds could get you a used Laney AOR or protube or a used Orange Rocker 30 (Idk how much they go for in the UK). Get a combo most halfstacks for that much are crap, also MGS are mostly crap beyond practice amps.

Budget?
Styles?
Gigging or Home?
k guess the half stack is not worth the money then. so a tube combos the best bet then. any recommendations
not sure what is available over the pond, but i'd check out a ton of brands, B-52, Peavey, Ashdown, Bugera, exc.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
Used Mesa F-30 combo. Get one for $600 and it will sound 2344 times better than that MG and just as loud. Much easier to transport too

If you can find one they are hard rock machines.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Your probably better off looking at British amps, Orange, Marshall, Laney , Ashdown etc. as they're going to be a little cheaper there than American amps over there. And if you do want it to gig eventually as you mentioned then look at a tube amp 30W+, 30-50W is probably ideal.