Page 1 of 2
Does anyone know what kind of guitars punk bands use? I mean like real punk too not green day and rancid, im talking like the casualties, a global threat, monster squad, defiance, cheap sex, minor threat the unseen etc.

im looking to get a new guitar to play punk. just wondering what suggestions you had or if you knew what any of the bands listed above used
dude it doesnt matter what guitar you have, its how you play it.
just get a guitar with humbuckers
yeah.
Quote by mrost123

This.

In punk tone doesn't matter that much anyway. Just get some old piece of crap and crank it.

My Youtube Page

I wrote this story so many days ago
and the words kept falling onto pages.
Without the loss we can't go on
and with the loss we became strong.

You can get anything you want really. There's no specific tone, as it varies quite a bit, and depends mainly on the amp.

I'd say an Epi, Gibby, Fender, Ibby, ESP, Washburn, etc.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
I'm pretty sure punk is about non-conforming and not giving a ****.

So really, this thread is the anti-punk
Quote by eurotrashed

yea i give a shit about how my guitar sounds in my band. i dont hav one rite now so im just trying to see if anyone knows more than me. stop being a **** sucker and saying this is anti-punk because your a ****ing asshole and probably dont know shit about being a punk
What a rebel.

I don't know much about the bands you mentioned, but Garage bands from Detroit around that time and to now have often used anything they could find. From Teiscos and Kays to Gibsons and Fenders.

For the bands you mentioned you will want something with humbuckers though.
Quote by Panda Man
yea i give a shit about how my guitar sounds in my band. i dont hav one rite now so im just trying to see if anyone knows more than me. stop being a **** sucker and saying this is anti-punk because your a ****ing asshole and probably dont know shit about being a punk

If you are asking what kind of guitar you need to sound punk, you obviously know nothing about punk. Go to the store, find a guitar you like in your price range and buy it. Make your own sound, be yourself, that is what punk is all about. You don't need a certain guitar to play punk, the punk sound isn't that narrow. You can get a Tele, a LP, a ****ing semi-hallow, they all work. Its just up to what you like. Sorry for helping you out, you ingrate. If you need opinions on how to emulate your favorite punk bands, you obviously don't know what punk rock is all about.
Yeah bro, anything works.

Tim Armstrong (rancid) uses a gretsch (as do I)
Casualties use washburns I think
Suicide machines use Rickenbacker
I think minor threat used les pauls (gibby)
Lars from rancid uses epiphone les pauls.

You can use a strat, you can use a tele. Doesn't matter. Just go for the playability and make sure you like your own tone, punk is creative and you can do anything you want with it.

EDIT: casualties use epiphones with emg's
and the unseen uses gibby les pauls
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
Last edited by l3p4rd at Oct 25, 2008,
HSS Strat
Epiphone with P-90's
Most Gretsch

Something that'll get you a nice crunchy sound, without being too heavy.
Gear List:
'97 Gibson Explorer w/ Duncan SH-4 and SH-2
Fender Jazz Bass 'Crafted in Japan'
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
True punk bands can't afford guitars, so they stretch rubber bands around a shoe box and make it work. I suggest you do likewise.
Quote by dcdossett65
Life is too short to worry about this crap.

Who.

Cares.
Quote by HLrocker
True punk bands can't afford guitars, so they stretch rubber bands around a shoe box and make it work. I suggest you do likewise.

I'm mcraddict and I support this message
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

Quote by eurotrashed
If you are asking what kind of guitar you need to sound punk, you obviously know nothing about punk. Go to the store, find a guitar you like in your price range and buy it. Make your own sound, be yourself, that is what punk is all about. You don't need a certain guitar to play punk, the punk sound isn't that narrow. You can get a Tele, a LP, a ****ing semi-hallow, they all work. Its just up to what you like. Sorry for helping you out, you ingrate. If you need opinions on how to emulate your favorite punk bands, you obviously don't know what punk rock is all about.

helping me out? all u said in your first post was this is anti-punk. i really dont need to prove myself to u and im tired of fighting over the internet. so im sorry for not knowing much about guitars and asking other people for help. whatever cocksucker
Quote by Panda Man
helping me out? all u said in your first post was this is anti-punk. i really dont need to prove myself to u and im tired of fighting over the internet. so im sorry for not knowing much about guitars and asking other people for help. whatever cocksucker

Don't be offensive. You don't seem to understand that punk is about what you want, not what the others want. Get the guitar you like and play punk. Or just do it yourself.
ಠ_ಠ
"hardcore" punk huh... hmm, unless your referring to converge, i am not familiar with this genre
Punk is supposed to be whatever you want it to be.

Play it with whatever you want, but just make it be punk music.

Thats part os the greatness of punk. You do whatever you want.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Quote by OhSoInsane
"hardcore" punk huh... hmm, unless your referring to converge, i am not familiar with this genre

hardcore punk = Black Flag, circle Jerks, Jerrys Kids, Negative Approach, Minor Threat, The Bad Brains, Dead Kennedys, and many others

TS :

1) Green Day & Rancid are REAL punk bands. Green Day is just pop punk, and rancid is ska/ska punk/Pop-punk
2) Epi Lp's are very popular in punk.
3) Casualties, Cheap Sex, Defiance, Monster Squad, A Global Threat, and The Unseen are Street Punk.

in my street punk / 80's (style?) hardcore / grunge band I use a Squier Jagmaster....But I am looking into a Schecter Classic C-1, Schecter C-1 Blackjack, Fender mustang, Fender Jaguar HH, Epi LP Standard, and a Sparrow Rat Rod....Any of those guitars would be great for punk

you may wanna look into Ibanez too.
Quote by l3p4rd
Yeah bro, anything works.

Tim Armstrong (rancid) uses a gretsch (as do I)
Casualties use washburns I think
Suicide machines use Rickenbacker
I think minor threat used les pauls (gibby)
Lars from rancid uses epiphone les pauls.

You can use a strat, you can use a tele. Doesn't matter. Just go for the playability and make sure you like your own tone, punk is creative and you can do anything you want with it.

EDIT: casualties use epiphones with emg's
and the unseen uses gibby les pauls

Lars uses an SG.

Quote by eurotrashed

Quote by Panda Man
stop being a **** sucker and saying this is anti-punk because your a ****ing asshole and probably dont know shit about being a punk

I'd like to see both of your how to be a punk rule books, maybe we can compare notes?

Quote by ItWillDo
This.

In punk tone doesn't matter that much anyway. Just get some old piece of crap and crank it.

Quote by mrost123

Many punk bands just simply don't have the money to afford alot of the 700$+ guitars, chances are if they had the money they'd get a great guitar.
Last edited by Swap-Meet at Oct 25, 2008,
Quote by Swap-Meet
Lars uses an SG.

More recently yes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5JMv50cfM4

But he used to be KNOWN for playing that white epi les paul. There's a few rumors on how he got it. Tim bought it for him after he got outta rehab, or his friends bought it for him on his 21st bday.
Peavey 6505+
Gretsch G5120
Quote by l3p4rd
More recently yes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5JMv50cfM4

But he used to be KNOWN for playing that white epi les paul. There's a few rumors on how he got it. Tim bought it for him after he got outta rehab, or his friends bought it for him on his 21st bday.

when i saw rancid they had like ****ing 6 different gibby SG's for lars.

that's a pretty cool looking LP though...I've always been interested in them, but for 650$ + tax I just don't think I can buy it when it's still second best to a gibby
Quote by Swap-Meet
when i saw rancid they had like ****ing 6 different gibby SG's for lars.

that's a pretty cool looking LP though...I've always been interested in them, but for 650$ + tax I just don't think I can buy it when it's still second best to a gibby

yeah, when I saw them he had two, but he used to only play les pauls, and I didn't really think about it.

and I picked up a gretsch because Tim played one and I loved how the big body looked on a skinny guy. And it helps that it sounds and plays like sex.
Peavey 6505+
Gretsch G5120
Quote by l3p4rd
yeah, when I saw them he had two, but he used to only play les pauls, and I didn't really think about it.

and I picked up a gretsch because Tim played one and I loved how the big body looked on a skinny guy. And it helps that it sounds and plays like sex.

Yeah I really don't like those really big guitars.

have you played a Schecter C-1 Classic....I really like the stock pups it comes with, I'm gonna go to the guitar store and **** around on some guitars tomorrow after work.

Any guitars you'd suggest (between 400-800$)
Quote by Swap-Meet
Yeah I really don't like those really big guitars.

have you played a Schecter C-1 Classic....I really like the stock pups it comes with, I'm gonna go to the guitar store and **** around on some guitars tomorrow after work.

Any guitars you'd suggest (between 400-800$)

I'm not big into schecters, or anything of the "newer" styles really, I like old classic styles, save flying v's and firebird shapes.

I'm into fender, and gretsch really.

You can pick up that same guitar lars is playing for 600 i think.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product?sku=518350V

Brilliant, but a backache, but you'll get used to that.
Peavey 6505+
Gretsch G5120
Quote by l3p4rd
I'm not big into schecters, or anything of the "newer" styles really, I like old classic styles, save flying v's and firebird shapes.

I'm into fender, and gretsch really.

You can pick up that same guitar lars is playing for 600 i think.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product?sku=518350V

Brilliant, but a backache, but you'll get used to that.

I still do kinda want a LP but if i get one I kinda feel like I should save up and get a Gibby.
There's no shame in epiphone. They make fine guitars. elitists just hate on them.
Peavey 6505+
Gretsch G5120
The custom's quality is much better, its a set neck, among other things, it just feels nicer.

And it's prettier for sure.

It's just the pups are eh. They're not terrible, but a swap will make a much sexier sound.
Peavey 6505+
Gretsch G5120
Quote by l3p4rd
The custom's quality is much better, its a set neck, among other things, it just feels nicer.

And it's prettier for sure.

It's just the pups are eh. They're not terrible, but a swap will make a much sexier sound.

Yeah, I really wanna have a JB in the bridge, and a 59 or a Jazz in the neck
Quote by DespisedIcon
Don't be offensive. You don't seem to understand that punk is about what you want, not what the others want. Get the guitar you like and play punk. Or just do it yourself.

The TS must think being offensive and acting like a prepubescent know-it-all 13 year old on an internet forum is what punk rock is all about.

He obviously can't handle being told to make up his own mind, since you don't need a certian guitar for punk, its just what you like
Quote by Panda Man
Does anyone know what kind of guitars punk bands use? I mean like real punk too not green day and rancid, im talking like the casualties, a global threat, monster squad, defiance, cheap sex, minor threat the unseen etc.

im looking to get a new guitar to play punk. just wondering what suggestions you had or if you knew what any of the bands listed above used

lol.

And getting a guitar with a pronounced midrange is always important. Thats where 80% of the punk tone comes from.
Edwards Les Paul Custom
Burny SG Junior
DIY Telecaster
Keeley RAT 2
Marshall JCM 800 4104
Oh i totally missed the fact he called rancid not punk and the casualties real punk.

xD

I listen to the casualties, but they hafta be the biggest posers in "punk"
Peavey 6505+
Gretsch G5120
If you want something specific, SG's work well.

SG's work well for everything though. I use one. My band plays several kinds of punk, but it is mostly hardcore.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Quote by l3p4rd
Oh i totally missed the fact he called rancid not punk and the casualties real punk.

xD

I listen to the casualties, but they hafta be the biggest posers in "punk"

I don't really think of the casualties as posers, I just think their obsessed with being punks....Same with Tim Armstrong.

and like i said before, just cause you're not a street punk (even though it's my favourite sub genre of punk ) or hardcore punk band doesn't mean you're not a "real" punk band >.>

Punk, just like metal has many subgenres, and just cause certain bands aren't as catchy as others, doesn't make them any less of a punk band.

also like i said before Les Pauls are very popular in punk
Quote by Swap-Meet
I'd like to see both of your how to be a punk rule books, maybe we can compare notes?

...I think I can physically taste the irony in that statement....its kinda salty
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

I was in a punk band when I first started playing guitar for real, for like three months. We practiced a lot and I used my PRS SE Custom which sounded great, but my friend used a SG and pretty much made his own sound by mixing it with a metal sound on his amp, but it was sweet. So what I am trying to say, is the SG is good for punk, but really make your own sound man. That is all I know about punk though...
My Gear
PRS SE Custom
Fender Standard Customized Fat Strat
Baby Taylor Acoustic
Peavey Valveking 212
Boss SOD-1
Boss DD-3
Dunlop Crybaby
Peavey Channel Selector
Fender 25R practice amp
Agile AL-3000 or a Fender Tele. Agile for a beefier sound tele for a brighter cutting sound.
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
Page 1 of 2