So I recently got a cheap S.S amp. It's a Fender G-Dec Jr. ; and my friend's brother seemed to know a lot about guitar so I asked my friend to ask his brother (O_o) if I made a right choice
And then I hear in the background (on the phone) "Honestly, it sucks" , "Seriously, a solid state?" And then i was like.. -_-.. nvm you suck
Well I got it because i wanted some effects and didn't want to buy separate pedals, but does solid state suck that much compared to tubes? Like say someone plays a $150 tube amp and someone else plays a $150 solid state. Would you be able to tell like "Ewwwww that guy is playing solid state!! "

Either way, I woulda still chosen my amp because of the effects, and that I heard solid states are more durable. Like I sometimes leave my amp on all night on accident a lot, and I don't really want to replace tubes every x months in a $150 amp.
Yeah.. I just want some opinions
A $150 tube amp will not be too good, or at least very basic. A $600 tube amp would be a better option if you want a nice tube sound.

And you replace the tubes every few years, and tubes are cheap.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Lolz, a $150 valve (tube) amp would probably be a 5 watter, thats usually 2 valves, you could probably replace the two or $12 if ya had a look around. Even then, youd probably only need to replace the power valves, since the preamp valves last for years. A yearly replacement of 1 valve for proably $10 at most isnt alot.

Solid states may take a bit more beating, (no risk of accidently smashing your valves in) but if you actually care about the stuff you own a valve amp is more bang for the buck, not just because it generally sounds better.

Its been said here 100 times; "Your valve amp breaks, you get it repaired, your solid state amp breaks you buy a new amp", because most solid states are just too complicated, harder to work out whats wrong, and harder to replace components, especially with your modelling amp, which is basically a computer attatched to a speaker. If that ever went out it'd cost you more money to get fixed than what you paid for the amp.

Valve amps sound alot more musical, tonefull, more dynamics, and sound alot better at high volumes than solid states, also, a hell of a lot louder than an equally rated SS amp. Try one out TS, you might like it.

Ive never plaid the G-Dec, but your right on one thing, your friends brother sucks, theres plenty of good Solid State Amps, (or modelers in your case), the Roland Cube 30/60, the Vox Valvetronix, the new Peavey Vypyrs look pretty solid, the Line 6 Flextone, Roland Jazz Chorus and so on.

If you like your amp keep it, its your opinion that counts.
wow $150 tube amp... either its another better economy dollar or you dont know that tube amps = much more expensive...which probably explains why u prefer solid state.

as for solid state...there is nothing wrong with it...especially for some personal playing or a practice amp...its all a matter of finding a good one...i'm not gonna give examples of good ones because its all up to you as to what sound or feel you want.

HOWEVER... tube amps are way to good because i personally love the analog sensitivity which make tube/valve amps sound dynamic adn very tone filled. I do agree with the roland 30 or higher for solid state. it is indeed very satisfying and reliable

it does suck that if a solid state breaks you will usually settle with a new one because that repairs are sometimes not worth the cash your dishing out. But it shouldn't matter. If you like your amp that is all that matters. Music is expression, and if you express your self via your amps sounds, go for it. Eventually you'll probably get a new one anyways so start saving up early so when you finally take another step your good to go (or you could even use it for some effects)
Roland Cube 30>5 watt tube amp in heavy metal.
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
A 5 watt combo amp or head? Cause a 5 watt combo with a small speaker wouldn't be great for metal but take a 5 watt head plugged into a small cabinet and metal shouldn't be a problem
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
If youre playing in your bedroom or with just people around that amp is perfectly fine...dont get a tube amp till you know exactly what your ears like, or what style you like...and noones gonna be like omg hes playin a solid state, most people wouldnt have a clue
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"