Could someone tell me about the neck of this guitar?
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Standard-Plain-Top?sku=517413
ive been getting mixed answers saying that this neck is skinny, thick etc. i jsut want to clear that up.

and the last noob question. les paul = self foot switch on amp?
thnx
It's all to do with preference and the les paul is a popular brand so alot of people get a les paul.
I think a lot of posts you read about thick necks are just people talking out their asses. Yes, most Pauls have thick necks, and thats ok, I find them to be comfortable. I also play an RG with a thin neck and I like that too. Its all about preference, don't let anyone but yourself tell you what is best.
Line 6 SpiderValve 112 - Strymon SV Pre; G12-K100
Ibanez RG Custom Built - Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz
Line 6 M13
Quote by xfallchildx
another question. lots of people play les pauls.
yet lots of people hate thick necks?

lots of people hate thick necks, but lots of people hate thin necks too.
It's all preference, and preference usually starts from what guitar you played first. My first guitar was a Squier affinity Strat, i loved it, i thought it was the greatest guitar ever. I had no idea there were other guitars out there that were a billion times better, and that Squier affinity strat were not considered good guitars. When I DID find this out, it was 4 years later, and i bought a new guitar(which was another strat). The point is that i grew up(guitar wise)loving strats, and i got used to them. So I prefer medium sized necks, like fenders. I prefer a schecter hellraiser neck over an ibanez wizard neck. It just feels better. And, you can get les pauls with thin neck.

EDIT/PLEASE NOTE: Other people grew up with squiers, and absolutely hated them, so now fenders give them the creeps.
Last edited by stratdud39 at Oct 25, 2008,
50s style LP necks are thick, 60s style are not. I'm pretty sure Epis have the thinner 60s style because I have never had a problem with them
Quote by xfallchildx
Are the les paul's fretboard / neck thicker or smaller than my gryphon?
on musicansfriend the gryphon is labeled "Jumbo Frets"

if you are used to your schecter, than a les paul SHOULD feel great for you.
it has the thinner 60s style neck. Every guitar store has an obligatory Epi Les Paul, go try it out
Quote by xfallchildx
Also what about that footswitch question ? never owning a les paul before at stores to switch from clean to distortion i had to flip that treble switch.
i always thought that was to switch for pickups.
guess i was wrong?

You have one kickass guitar right there if you can flick the switch on your guitar to change from distortion to clean.

Mine just switches pickups
My gear:
PRS SE custom
~!~--Peavey XXX super 40 EFX --~!~
Peavey VK 112

===WGS Vet30
===JJ power tubes

---Pedals:
-ISP Decimator
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Crybaby wah
-Korg Pitchblack
-Danelectro FnC EQ
Quote by xfallchildx
Also what about that footswitch question ? never owning a les paul before at stores to switch from clean to distortion i had to flip that treble switch.
i always thought that was to switch for pickups.
guess i was wrong?

Huh? What are you talking about? Who told you the switch on the LP takes it from clean to distortion?

The switch switches the pickups. A LP does not have built in distortion nor does it control your amp.
I think by flipping the switch he means the neck pup sounds better clean and so he flips it.

Not everyone hates thick necks, I hate thin necks, shredders like thin necks, Les pauls are I believe on the thick side and fenders are somwhere in the middle (strats) teles are thick.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
its not exceptionally thich just give it a try im sure you wont mind shecter nexts are just wider then most you will mostly likely like it
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
Quote by alternitivebass
its not exceptionally thich just give it a try im sure you wont mind shecter nexts are just wider then most you will mostly likely like it

oh ok thanks.
yeah my schecter is very thick i can only play wit it sitting down.
hopefully the epiphone les paul standard top will be better
The neck can feel awkward if you are used to playing strats but they are comfortable
and easy to play.

Just a tip man... Never order a Les Paul. I dont know what it is about them, but they
all seem to feel different. You need to play a few and you will eventually find one that
feels like it was made just for you. I think thats the magic that made them so loved.
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Quote by Washburnd Fretz
The neck can feel awkward if you are used to playing strats but they are comfortable
and easy to play.

Just a tip man... Never order a Les Paul. I dont know what it is about them, but they
all seem to feel different. You need to play a few and you will eventually find one that
feels like it was made just for you. I think thats the magic that made them so loved.

really man? i was just hoping to order the STANDARD TOP
I think the slim taper necks are similar to Gibsons '60s neck profile. I have the '60s neck on my LP, and its quite comfortable, and slender. One thing friends of mine dont like though, is that it gets a bit wider the higher up you go on the neck. Or well, wider than say, an Ibanez would get.
Jesus wouldn't give you the sweat off of his balls if you were dying of thirst.
Quote by Code-E
God, you've gotta be UG's only moron!

Quote by magnum1117
that's right,you certainly are UG's only moron.

Quote by necrosis1193
Read the moron's posts, ironically enough he knows what he says.
Epiphones don't have thick necks.

The new gibson 50s rounded and 60s slim taper aren't as big as the actual examples of the 50s and 60s.

The actual 60s Slim Taper is more along the lines of the current 50s rounded neck.

The VOS guitars are a bit more realistic to actual Gibson neck profiles. They're still a bit off though.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by p o e
I think the slim taper necks are similar to Gibsons '60s neck profile. I have the '60s neck on my LP, and its quite comfortable, and slender. One thing friends of mine dont like though, is that it gets a bit wider the higher up you go on the neck. Or well, wider than say, an Ibanez would get.

wow dam