There are tons of young classic rock fans around, but it seems like very few people appreciate music before the Beatles, besides Elvis and Chuck Berry. So let's discuss the great 50's music in this thread.

I'll start with my favorite artists, Eddie Cochran, Buddy Holly, and Fats Domino. I love the gritty to the bone feel of Eddie's songs and I think both Buddy and Fats were fantastic songwriters and Buddy's a very underrated guitarist. He revolutionized the guitar, not as much as Hendrix, but still.

Some vids

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dl5hknXqXps - Fats Domino

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5x9PPtPmoy4 - Buddy Holly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6obzvQMlYC4 - An excellent Eddie Cochran cover by Keith Richards and the Winos.
UG rules say that this forum is for bands who came into existence between 1960 and 1984, unfortunately.

That's a rule I disagree with entirely. If Buddy Holly and Elvis aren't classic rock, what forum should they be discussed in? Chuck Berry could fit in the blues forum somewhat, but not those guys. They were clearly rock and roll. They weren't just blues, country or anything else. They were the combination of past influences that created the genre. Is there a way to get the 1960-84 rule changed? I don't think it's right to condemn these rock legends to a spot in the "Other music" forum.

Maybe we could just have an "only" thread for 50s rock discussion?
Hey, I'm Mike.
Chuck Berry, Buddy Holly, and Jerry Lee Lewis are awesome.
My all gold grills give her cold chills
Said she gotta coke feel cuz I'm sooo trill.
Quote by Thefallofman
Maybe we could just have an "only" thread for 50s rock discussion?

That seems to be what this thread aims to be.
Quote by Flying Couch
That seems to be what this thread aims to be.

Well yeah, I know.

It's just not technically allowed in here at the moment.
Hey, I'm Mike.
I absolutely LOVE Buddy Holly. One of my favorite singers and songwriters. I think he could have stayed relevant and actually keep innovating if he hadn't died.

Eddie Cochran is a great songwriter, I haven't much looked into his stuff though.

Everyone loves Elvis but when compared to a lot of his contemporaries (many black) he becomes pretty unimpressive.
Quote by Beakwithteeth

Everyone loves Elvis but when compared to a lot of his contemporaries (many black) he becomes pretty unimpressive.

Agreed, especially since he had professional songwriters write his songs for him. But to his credit, he did bring Rock n' Roll to the white people and he did revolutionize live performance of Rock n' Roll. And man, what a voice! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLJQiONeAs8
The way I see it with Elvis, he was revolutionary at the time for his voice, influence and personality. Looking back on it, knowing what else was out there and what was to come afterward he doesn't seem as important.

Back in the mid-50s people certainly didn't have access to the wealth of information on music that we have now and for most people, seeing and hearing Elvis was the first time they heard anything of its kind.

Looking at the whole picture, musically guys like Muddy Waters, Chuck Berry, Jerry Lee Lewis, Buddy Holly and Little Richard probably had more to do with crafting the sound but Elvis had more to do with getting it out there.
Hey, I'm Mike.
50's rock was the first style of music that made an impression on me, this was when I was about 6 or 7, then I progressed onto music that followed this era with many of the great artists such as Chuck Berry, Eddie Cochran, Muddy Waters, Little Richard influencing many of the great artists who I listen to today.
I love 50s rock! Some of my favorites are Ritchie Valens, Elvis, Jerry Lee, Chuck Berry, and Bill Haley and His Comets.
I don't understand why "classic" rock does not include the '50's. After all, Rock and Roll started there. And lot of 60's 70's & even 80's bands/artists were influenced by that era!
Quote by Beakwithteeth
I absolutely LOVE Buddy Holly. One of my favorite singers and songwriters. I think he could have stayed relevant and actually keep innovating if he hadn't died.

Eddie Cochran is a great songwriter, I haven't much looked into his stuff though.

Buddy Holly, what he achieved in a short amount of time, Oh Boy!
Gone too soon, too soon.