As in problem areas? I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy it, even if it needs a little fixing up. And how can I tell that it's a real fender, not a squier with a fender logo?
Will the serial # tell me? Thanks.

It's a Fender Mexican strat for $150...
I asked about it before...
I'm not a Bible-thumper anymore. Realized I had a brain in '09.

I like guitars, running, and math.
I think it sounds like a good deal..... I know in the neck joint once you take the neck off... a squire will say squire where the neck bolts on
Total Failure

If every dream is a wish, then to dream of zombies is to wish for an appetite without responsibility
well there are endless things, you'll be able to feel the difference if its a mex strat or a squier, so there's no real need to check the headstock.
Check for cracks in the neck, check the selector to see if it goes to the right pups, check to see if the volume and tone knobs work, pretty much just give it a 360, look all around it, play it through your amp, make sure the pups sound decent(like there supposed to sound), check the input jack to see if its lose or not. Um, check the tuners to see if they suck or not, lol(like if there are any spaces that you turn them and u dont hear anything, i cant make that sound like its not a 3rd grade answer). Look down the neck, check for bumps. Uhh thats all i can think of as of now.
I want you turning that thing into a rock and roll/blues/whatever music you play machine. Give it mods like a pup swap, maybe a nicer neck, depending on the year it was made(what was the year?), maybe a hardware change too.
There's somewhere on the internet where you can enter the serial number and it'll tell you. Also, look for how good the neck is (how well it's made, not how it's setup) because some things won't be able to be fixed. If it has some minor problems, for $150, it's still worth it.
Quote by stratdud39
well there are endless things, you'll be able to feel the difference if its a mex strat or a squier, so there's no real need to check the headstock.
Check for cracks in the neck, check the selector to see if it goes to the right pups, check to see if the volume and tone knobs work, pretty much just give it a 360, look all around it, play it through your amp, make sure the pups sound decent(like there supposed to sound), check the input jack to see if its lose or not. Um, check the tuners to see if they suck or not, lol(like if there are any spaces that you turn them and u dont hear anything, i cant make that sound like its not a 3rd grade answer). Look down the neck, check for bumps. Uhh thats all i can think of as of now.
I want you turning that thing into a rock and roll/blues/whatever music you play machine. Give it mods like a pup swap, maybe a nicer neck, depending on the year it was made(what was the year?), maybe a hardware change too.

thanks a lot.

I'm pretty sure he said it's a 2003, but I'll have to verify that.
I think I'll make it into a sweet blues guitar, as I want to get into playing more blues and I already have a "metal" guitar.

I'm excited! loi

if it's an 03' mex made, the sn # will start with an M
and then a Z2 or Z3 with another 6 or so numbers after it.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565
if it's an 03' mex made, the sn # will start with an M
and then a Z2 or Z3 with another 6 or so numbers after it.

Thanks. If it's not an '03 and is an '02 or 2000 something else, will it still start with an M?
Sorry for all the questions..=]

As long as it's in good condition, $150 for a strat, even a Mexican one, is excellent. Just make sure to try it first to make sure everything is in order.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
You could always fix it up if it's not exactly what you wanted.

Still, 150$ is a decent deal for body wood and neck wood alone, and you could swap out the pickups for some Seymour's or DiMarzio's, if need be.

But anyway, check how the pickups sound, the feel of the neck, the age, the tuners.

Check everything, overlook nothing.
Gear List:
'97 Gibson Explorer w/ Duncan SH-4 and SH-2
Fender Jazz Bass 'Crafted in Japan'
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
Quote by Psalm 150:4
Thanks. If it's not an '03 and is an '02 or 2000 something else, will it still start with an M?
Sorry for all the questions..=]

M= mexico
Z = 2000
2- 2002
3=2003

but sometimes the numbers are a bit off by a few months depending on when the guitar was sent to the shop to be sold.

do you know how to check a guitar before buying? i mean a few things, ways to test a guitar?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Quote by jj1565

do you know how to check a guitar before buying? i mean a few things, ways to test a guitar?

What do you mean? I just plan on playing it, and looking at the stuff other people in this thread mentioned..

Testing a Guitar:

To make things simple, I've made a checklist.
Before playing...

-Sit down in a quiet area and feel the guitars weight. Make sure it's balanced, and suited to your size.
-Move the knobs and switch. Make sure they are tight.
-Go to the input jack, see if it wiggles.
-Lift the guitar to your face. Check the headstock and neck joint for small cracks or chips.
-See if the neck looks straight.
-Shake the guitar. Listen for loose parts.
-Look at the fretboard. Make sure there are no wood imperfections, raised or crooked frets. Make sure the frets don't poke through the side of the board.
Before plugging in....
-Strum and fret each string. You're listening for fret buzz.
Keep in mind, guitars aren't always set up prior to placement on the selling floor.
Sometimes they aren't even tuned. Action and fret buzz are USUALLY adjustable, but the guitar shouldn't buzz and rattle everywhere.
-Check the guitar's harmonics. Compare tones at the 12th. See if the guitar is intonated.
-Make sure the board isn't too wide for you. See if you can reach the higher frets.
-Make sure the bridge saddles are level, with no sharp points.
-Make sure the tuners don't feel loose.

Amp it up...

-Use the switch. Select the neck pickup. Select the bridge. Listen for crackling noises.
Roll the knobs and listen for noise. Touch and lift your hand off the bridge, listen for buzzing that stops when you ground it.
-Check the pickups with the amp on clean and with gain.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by Psalm 150:4
thanks a lot.

I'm pretty sure he said it's a 2003, but I'll have to verify that.
I think I'll make it into a sweet blues guitar, as I want to get into playing more blues and I already have a "metal" guitar.

I'm excited! loi

haha sweet, no problem.
and since its 2003, the neck might already be wicked nice
I hear the Mexican Strats are sometimes better or way worse than American ones. Try it out, see how the play and feel is before you buy it.
Quote by jj1565
Testing a Guitar:

To make things simple, I've made a checklist.
Before playing...

-Sit down in a quiet area and feel the guitars weight. Make sure it's balanced, and suited to your size.
-Move the knobs and switch. Make sure they are tight.
-Go to the input jack, see if it wiggles.
-Lift the guitar to your face. Check the headstock and neck joint for small cracks or chips.
-See if the neck looks straight.
-Shake the guitar. Listen for loose parts.
-Look at the fretboard. Make sure there are no wood imperfections, raised or crooked frets. Make sure the frets don't poke through the side of the board.
Before plugging in....
-Strum and fret each string. You're listening for fret buzz.
Keep in mind, guitars aren't always set up prior to placement on the selling floor.
Sometimes they aren't even tuned. Action and fret buzz are USUALLY adjustable, but the guitar shouldn't buzz and rattle everywhere.
-Check the guitar's harmonics. Compare tones at the 12th. See if the guitar is intonated.
-Make sure the board isn't too wide for you. See if you can reach the higher frets.
-Make sure the bridge saddles are level, with no sharp points.
-Make sure the tuners don't feel loose.

Amp it up...

-Use the switch. Select the neck pickup. Select the bridge. Listen for crackling noises.
Roll the knobs and listen for noise. Touch and lift your hand off the bridge, listen for buzzing that stops when you ground it.
-Check the pickups with the amp on clean and with gain.

Thanks a ton for all of your help. Hopefully the guitar will be in good shape and I'll get a good deal. But if it doesn't work out, I won't have wasted my money.
If I do get it, I'll post some pics

Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62