I'm coil splitting my Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates and SH5 pickups in my guitar. I looked on guitarfetish for push pull pots, and I found a 500k one but it says "perfect for the volume position". I'm confused, can't I use 500k in the volume position and the tone position?

By the way, my guitar is HH with a master volume and master tone. I'm splitting the neck pickup at the volume and the bridge pickup at the tone. I'm not sure why I needed to say that, but more information can't hurt...
Quote by forsaknazrael
You should probably mug John Frusciante or Ritchie Blackmore. They're small guys, we could take 'em.

Just look out for that other guy in the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Will Farrel. He's a tall mofo, got a long reach.

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

Quote by VoodooCow229
I'm coil splitting my Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates and SH5 pickups in my guitar. I looked on guitarfetish for push pull pots, and I found a 500k one but it says "perfect for the volume position". I'm confused, can't I use 500k in the volume position and the tone position?

By the way, my guitar is HH with a master volume and master tone. I'm splitting the neck pickup at the volume and the bridge pickup at the tone. I'm not sure why I needed to say that, but more information can't hurt...
You can and you should.

/thread
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You can and you should.

/thread

But, there are Linear pots and erm...the other one.

One you use for tone, the other for volume.

I forget which was which.
Quote by Skeet UK
But, there are Linear pots and erm...the other one.

One you use for tone, the other for volume.

I forget which was which.
not really.

some manufacturers use audio taper for both
some use audio taper for volume and linear for tone.
Gibson used 300k linear for volume and 500k audio taper for tone on their 2v2t controls.

just a matter of where you want more travel and where to have less on the rotation of the knob. both tapers sound identical with the same resistance settings on the pot. but those resistance settings occur at different knob settings.

even if you WANTED linear taper for the tone, linear in push-pulls is harder to find.
just use the 500k audio taper, all around on the HH guitar.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Wow today is a good day. This is the first thread I've made that SYK replied in. My life is completed.
Quote by forsaknazrael
You should probably mug John Frusciante or Ritchie Blackmore. They're small guys, we could take 'em.

Just look out for that other guy in the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Will Farrel. He's a tall mofo, got a long reach.

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
not really.

some manufacturers use audio taper for both
some use audio taper for volume and linear for tone.
Gibson used 300k linear for volume and 500k audio taper for tone on their 2v2t controls.

just a matter of where you want more travel and where to have less on the rotation of the knob. both tapers sound identical with the same resistance settings on the pot. but those resistance settings occur at different knob settings.

even if you WANTED linear taper for the tone, linear in push-pulls is harder to find.
just use the 500k audio taper, all around on the HH guitar.

And thus, there is the difference between someone who has a rudimentary knowledge and someone who has The Knowledge.

I assume you are a God around here, from the post above?
^yes, yes he is.

audio taper/ linear taper....f*** that, just use audio. it works.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
^ yes, yes it does.

(I'm keeping with your trend, AJK.)

SYK is basically the be all end all of electronics conversations. He knows. He just.... Knows.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
lol...

and everything said in that post is pure win.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking