so i've purchased a 1/4th-1/8th inch jack. i connect my guitar to teh amp and the amp to the computer with the jack. ive managed to record in Audactiy and all is well. However, what if i'm desiring a clean sound? It sounds like heavy distortion and as far as i've discovered changing amp settings doesn't change the sound.
"You know it's funny when it rains it pours
...They got money for wars, but can't feed the poor"

Techno artist and rap producer in training

Where did you plug the jack into your computer, because I would love to record some stuff but i have no idea how to do it.
Your resulting sound depends on the type of output from your amp (some can be before other amp processing features for example) and the quality of your sound card. Your best bet is to mic an amp.
mmmk.
well my amp is shit. i have an EXP Loop TRS port that i plug my second guitar cord into. then i plug the end of that into the jack. then the jack ino teh line-in or mic in port. i use the line in. i have a decent sound card. but i just don't know how to change the sound. cause changing amp settings seems to do natha.
"You know it's funny when it rains it pours
...They got money for wars, but can't feed the poor"

Techno artist and rap producer in training

You're overdriving your sound card it seems. I've recorded that way and with a 10 dollar mic and I'll take the mic any day.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
You're overdriving your sound card it seems. I've recorded that way and with a 10 dollar mic and I'll take the mic any day.

hell ya for the 10 dollar mics lol, got mine at walmart and it works a hell of a lot better than plugin into the computer
I run my yamaha dg80 from the line out into a yamaha USB mixer and then into garage band on my macbook, that sounds real good :P