Page 1 of 2
I am trying to learn some wiked fast techniques to show off to girls and impress ppl and stuff, so I am trying to get my speed picking down. no matter how Hard I try, it just sounds terrible. And i think it might have something to do with that I have 11's on my guitar, and should I use hard or soft picks for doing this?

thanks a bunch Guys
Great reasons. Hope they give you the dedication you'll need to get this shit down.

Basically, read through the first link in my sig. Then the rest, if you want some moar help after that.

To play through "stuff" fast you'll need to know where to find cool "stuff" so get your theory together. Er, more links in sig.

How many hours of practice you willing to put into this? You could just learn to sing and play a few nice songs instead, much more productive musically and otherwise.

I can say that after having put a few hundred hours into "speed picking", it never really got me any chicks.
^ What are you talking about? Chicks dig Arpeggios From Hell.
Quote by TGautier13
Because e-cred on a sub-par 4Chan knockoff forum is what everyone strives to achieve.
We believe - so we're misled
We assume - so we're played
We confide - so we're deceived
We trust - so we're betrayed
Quote by Freepower
Chicks who have dug me for writing their tragicomic theme song? 2. And a guy as well.

In my experience you're lucky to have gotten that much attention, no one has ever shown me the slightest bit of interest for my playing, even when I was in a band. Then again I was playing bass so I may as well have been invisible.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.

You seriously think chicks dig shred????

Wow....

Go grab an acoustic and play some Red Jumpsuit Apparatus, bam, instant chick magnet. You'll need a lot of dedication, as Freepower said, to get "speed picking" down. I had to seriously dedicate myself to get to any level of speed that was worth showing.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by Freepower
Great reasons. Hope they give you the dedication you'll need to get this shit down.

Basically, read through the first link in my sig. Then the rest, if you want some moar help after that.

To play through "stuff" fast you'll need to know where to find cool "stuff" so get your theory together. Er, more links in sig.

How many hours of practice you willing to put into this? You could just learn to sing and play a few nice songs instead, much more productive musically and otherwise.

I can say that after having put a few hundred hours into "speed picking", it never really got me any chicks.

lol i clicked on your theory video and thought you looked like a nerd until i heard your english accent and i was "woaw this kid is a bad@ss": good pro tip, come to america and make your accent more thick, and you'll get any chick you want

My friend got 10 numbers in one night by putting on a british accent and he didn't really say anything comprehensible.
Quote by GiveItAll
lol i clicked on your theory video and thought you looked like a nerd until i heard your english accent and i was "woaw this kid is a bad@ss": good pro tip, come to america and make your accent more thick, and you'll get any chick you want

My friend got 10 numbers in one night by putting on a british accent and he didn't really say anything comprehensible.

That's not English at all; he's Irish. I would record myself and display what a real English accent is like but I have no mic hanging around just at the moment.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Orbit91
And I'd display the lovechild of both accents.

I'm not sure Welsh really counts as the lovechild of English and Irish...more just kind of strange and separate

I'm still pondering over how you managed to find me on youtube

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Doesn't John Petrucci have a hawt wife?

edit: Nevermind.
Quote by TGautier13
Because e-cred on a sub-par 4Chan knockoff forum is what everyone strives to achieve.
We believe - so we're misled
We assume - so we're played
We confide - so we're deceived
We trust - so we're betrayed
To the OP: If you want to get girls, learn to play "Hey There Delilah" and watch The Pickup Artist on VH1. Fast picking in itself doesn't impress anyone but yourself and other people who want to learn how to pick fast. And I doubt any girls you're going after want to learn how to speed pick.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
I'm not sure Welsh really counts as the lovechild of English and Irish...more just kind of strange and separate

I'm still pondering over how you managed to find me on youtube

On a random Shawn Lane video haha.
And I'm originally Irish, but I moved to England at a young age, and then to Wales
Quote by tryhonesty
I am trying to learn some wiked fast techniques to show off to girls and impress ppl and stuff, so I am trying to get my speed picking down. no matter how Hard I try, it just sounds terrible. And i think it might have something to do with that I have 11's on my guitar, and should I use hard or soft picks for doing this?

thanks a bunch Guys

You won't get the girls with pussy strings like those.
Be a fucking man and play .13's.
Quote by tryhonesty

thanks a bunch Guys

You are a pathetic excuse for a guitarist.
Quote by Freepower

Well phrased.

Quote by Zaphod
Then again I was playing bass so I may as well have been invisible.

Quote by Retro
You won't get the girls with pussy strings like those.
Be a ****ing man and play .13's.

Man, this thread is just too funny!
Last edited by mdc at Oct 26, 2008,
Quote by mdc

Man, this thread is just too funny!

No kidding. But at least the TS is honest.

Quote by tryhonesty

thanks a bunch Guys

OK, if you want chicks, don't shred. Unless you play for a chick who also plays guitar, they probably won't be impressed or just won't really care. But that's just my advice to you. If you still think that shred will get you chicks, then go for it. And if you decide to do shred, you will have to learn to play fast, play clean, and if you want the slightest chance of it impressing chicks, you will have to learn how to shred but make it sound really emotional. Not an easy task but then maybe they will at least notice you.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by mdc

I don't understand why you're laughing. I stood at a gig playing a solo and the guitarist got a lot of very confused looks, one person noticed it was me and she was standing literally 0.5 of a metre from my hands.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
I don't understand why you're laughing. I stood at a gig playing a solo and the guitarist got a lot of very confused looks, one person noticed it was me and she was standing literally 0.5 of a metre from my hands.

He's laughing because bassists never seem to get any recognition. Unless they are doubling a guitarist doing sweeps, 9 times out of 10 nobody is going to care how good the bassist is or what the bassist is doing. So you saying you were basically invisible is kind of a cliche.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by Junior#1
So you saying you were basically invisible is kind of a cliche.

Cliche it may be but unless you're Victor Wooten, Stu Hamm or John Entwistle you get absolutely no attention and that's a cold, hard fact.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
if you put dedication into speed picking, you won't have any dedication left for chicks.

That's just how it works.
Quote by Orbit91
If you're playing Guitar to pick up chicks, you're a sad, sad, little man.

+1
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Sigh
Quote by Junior#1
He's laughing because bassists never seem to get any recognition. Unless they are doubling a guitarist doing sweeps, 9 times out of 10 nobody is going to care how good the bassist is or what the bassist is doing. So you saying you were basically invisible is kind of a cliche.

Thanks for clearing that up man.
If the guitar has done anything for me, it's actually repeled those of the opposite sex.

The fact that I don't have much of a life BECAUSE I'm trying to get speedpicking down...yeah. Speed Picking DOES NOT work for chicks. It just makes it look like you have no life, even if you do. If girls are your motivation, you are not only going to suck at speed picking, but you aren't going to have any girls either...

I actually played barely fast at all (Around 100BPM) and this girl told me to shut up unless I was going to play Sweet Child O' Mine...
Last edited by The.new.guy at Oct 29, 2008,
the only time you're going to get anyones attention while playing fast is generally while playing a solo over something (like a band behind you) if you have a full band going off behind you and can tear it up and make it sound really good then you can get the girls to go nuts. otherwise, singlehandedly soloing is rather fruitless

but in regards to the TS, speed is a byproduct of accuracy. i spent probably 6 hours a day playing/practicing to be able to get up to a decent speed after about 4 or 5 years.
Only time i ever got laid due to guitar I was playing sweeps lol.

Sitting in my room taking a break from the party down stairs, hammered, sweeping...some chick wanders in.

Tbh...I dont think a lot of girls really care what youre playing on the guitar, the fact that youre playing the shit out of it peaks their interest. Shredding, chords, anything...will get you attention.

What you do with the attention is up to you, but its good to be prepared to play something gay and chick oriented when asked

God knows if girls are around, no matter what youre playing, no matter how difficult of a piece, they will always ask if you know any *insert gay indie/chick band*.

Take it from me, im conceded and usually say things liek **** that band, or that shit is boring, but that has rarely gotten me any action.

then again i usually have a girlfriend so never really played the get laid via guitar game.
Jackson KV2 USA Snow White/Black Bevels
A large part of it is in your mind within reason. If you say its going to take 5 years to get your picking up to scratch....chances are it will. If you say 'ok 2 years from now I am going to be shredding like a mofo'...with determination you will work your ass off and get there. Obvestley this is within reason...noone is going to be alternate picking 16 notes per second in 6 months but you get the point. Also, I may add there comes a stage where it all comes together.In the beginning we tend to have bad days where you think 'yesterday I played fine, and today it seems to have all gone to pot'. But, in my experience of teaching and my own experiences I can say there does come a point where it all slips in place and then its just a matter of getting the speed up. But, when its all in place you have the determination. When you start to see results it gets your fired up. Problem is...most people don't stick to it long enough to see any results and therefore think that 'they can't do it' or 'theres no way I will ever pick fast'. Even Paul Gilbert has said many times that he never ever thought he would have a decent picking technique because it was too hard in the beginning. And check him out now....hes one of the top pickers on the planet.
Andy
Nice one Andy... +1... same advice I give to my students: Its as hard as you gonna make it
Quote by Myung-trucci
Unfortunately Orbit91, you're also 70% of male guitar players.

Which is?
Quote by fixationdarknes
He was essentially just extending your point.

I still don't get it =/
Quote by Orbit91
If you're playing Guitar to pick up chicks, you're a sad, sad, little man.

Quote by Myung-trucci
Unfortunately Orbit91, you're also 70% of male guitar players.

70% are sad little men?

This thread has already gone on long enough though
Page 1 of 2