So I've been considering buying a Sitar and I want to know from anyone here who plays or has played one: honestly, is it worth it?
"Imagine all the people, sharing all the world"
-John Lennon
Well, I can't give you much advice here, but I did see Buddy Guy play an electric Sitar just the other day. It was pretty crazy.

I guess it depends on what kind of sound you are looking for.
It's completely different from guitar and it will be very painful for your fingers (unless you have good callouses on your fingers). Once you get past the pain and learning process, it's a very sweet instrument and sounds AWESOME.

To answer the question, it's worth it if you're willing to work on it.
What about tuning....someone told me it takes like literally 10 minutes to tune, and thats if your good at it.
-John Lennon
I have one and have been playing for a few years. It's a pain in the dick, but worth it. Tuning is a hassle, and takes a fair bit of understanding about how the instrument works, with the use of microtones, harmonising sympathetic strings... the curved frets are definately going to require getting used to.
Quote by Punk Rocker
What about tuning....someone told me it takes like literally 10 minutes to tune, and thats if your good at it.

oh, so you need about the quarter of a time it takes to tune a floyd rose
Quote by CoreysMonster
oh, so you need about the quarter of a time it takes to tune a floyd rose

And thanks for all the replies so far. I'm definitely considering it, the only problems are the cost (dunno how expensive they are yet) and actually storing/maintaining it.
-John Lennon
You can find one for as cheap as $200 on ebay but I wouldn't recommend buying a piece of junk, especially online without trying it first.
buy digitechs the weapon pedal. youl get the sound ur looking for without paying that much for a sitar
Gear:
Morpheus Droptune
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Bugera 333xl 212
SCHECTER JEFF LOOMIS C7 FR
Quote by devit
buy digitechs the weapon pedal. youl get the sound ur looking for without paying that much for a sitar

meh it sounds totally crappy IMO.
Quote by devit

There is no way in hell you will get a decent sitar sound from a simulator. There's far too much involved in sitar playing. Shoving a bit of chorus on just doesn't cut it.
Quote by devit

Does that mean I can buy a Boss acoustic simulator pedal and never need to buy an acoustic guitar again? While we're at it let's never buy pianos since keyboards are smaller and easier to carry. And instead of paying a ton of money for a recording session, let's use MIDI!
get an electrtic sitar...they sound just like them and they are more like guitars

Check them out online
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Rogue-STR1-Pro-Electric-Sitar-Guitar?sku=519273

is it a guitar? is it a sitar? nay it is a beast

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mx4N_bZ7nRo&feature=related

depending on how much time you have to learn it i would get the real thing though.

EDIT: ^^ DAMN YOU VILE SCUM!!!
I think we took too many drugs when we were kids,
'cause now we like to make
Weird Music
-Wayne Coyne