i have had my strat for over 6 months now (its used, made in '95), and recently a problem has show up...whenever i roll my volume/tone knobvs up and knob, there is a irritating crackling noise coming from the amp...

where is the problem coming from and how do i fix it??

thanks
dirty pot / bad connection to the pot, sometimes can be cleared up by spraying contact cleaner with lube into the base of the pot. but if you have the guitar open i suggest you swap out the pot instead.

pots only cost less than $10, less than a can of cleaner.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
probably a loose connection check your wiring.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
what kind of pot should i buy??

as a side note...i also hear radio interference in my amp when playing...how do i fix this problem and where is it coming from?
usually a really cheap amp or an unshielded guitar cable acting as an antenna. ^

and what country are you in?
im sure we could link you to an all parts or stewmac.com site for your parts.

but to put them in, you'll also want a soldering iron kit for about $15.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

a musicians friend/guitar center link would be fine i guess...how hard is it to put the pots in?? (i already have a soledring iron)
you just need to take a pic, or write down where the wires are. desolder them one at a time, heating and removing each wire.

unscrew the old pot, nut under the plastic knob. take that off then the pot slides out.

attach new pot and one at a time, put the wires back on the same lugs. heat connection and add the solder.

that's my strat guard off and upside down. this one wt a HR in the bridge spot. but stock MIM guitars have 3, 2-wire pups. even easier.

let me look up a link...
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

What is the difference between 250K & 500K pots?
Either 250K or 500K pots can be used with any passive pickups however the pot values will affect tone slightly. The rule is: Using higher value pots (500K) will give the guitar a brighter sound and lower value pots (250K) will give the guitar a slightly warmer sound. This is because higher value pots put less of a load on the pickups which prevents treble frequencies from "bleeding" to ground through the pot and being lost. For this reason, guitars with humbuckers like Les Pauls use 500K pots to retain more highs for a slightly brighter tone and guitars with single coils like Stratocasters and Telecasters use 250K pots to add some warmth by slightly reducing the highs. You can also fine tune the sound by changing the pot values regardless of what pot value the guitar originally had.

What is the difference between Audio and Linear taper pots?
Audio and Linear taper pots have the same total resistance but differ in which position of rotation the pot will reach the 50% value. Linear pots are usually marked with a B or Lin (examples 250KB, B250K, 250K Lin) and will reach 50% of its total resistance in the 50% rotation point. Audio taper pots are usually marked with an A or Aud (examples 500KA, A500K 500K Aud) and will decrease most of the resistance in the last 50% of the rotation. This can give a more gradual audio reduction is some cases. Most manufactures and builders either use Audio taper pots for volume and tone or linear for volume and audio for tone. However, if a problem of exists where a volume or tone pot has no effect on the sound, try a changing the taper. How to check the taper with an ohm meter: Set the pot to the center position (50% rotation) and measure the resistance between the center pin and each of the outer pins. If the the resistance is equal (50% of the pots value) the pot is linear. If the values are not equal, the pot is an Audio taper.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_pickups/Potentiometers_and_push-pull_pots/1/Potentiometers_and_Push-Pull_Pots.html
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

ive got a 95' strat too.

also, when desoldering, a soldering braid is useful. it's a little strip of metal, soaks up extra solder, like a paper towel soaks up water.

and dont burn wires or pot tops. make sure you read up a little about soldering basics if you're unsure.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
ive got a 95' strat too.

also, when desoldering, a soldering braid is useful. it's a little strip of metal, soaks up extra solder, like a paper towel soaks up water.

and dont burn wires or pot tops. make sure you read up a little about soldering basics if you're unsure.

.... and dont drip solder anywhere. use just enough to get the job done.

be patient - The solder might crack if you move it when it's cooling off.