So I recently transfered all of my music from my Macbook to my external HD. I changed the location of my iTunes music folder in iTunes Preferences and all of that good stuff.

However, now everytime I click on a song, it says

"The song "X" can not be played because the original file cannot be located. Would you like to locate it?"

Does anyone know how to correct this problem? I cannot individually locate every song because I have over 20 GB of music in my iTunes.

If there is a more adequate location for this thread, please let me know and I will delete this one and move it there.
You could try moving all of your music into the default folder iTunes looks for

My Music -> iTunes - > iTunes Music
Quote by Tsucchi
Because nothing is sexier than a man with a mouth full of crayons.

Cool.
Quote by dylpikle9

+1

It confuses PCs when you move the files from the folder where they're 'sposed' to be located.
Quote by dylpikle9

But I changed the location of my iTunes Music Folder. Does that not take care of where iTunes looks for my music?

And to the user above me, it is a Macbook, not a PC.
I guess not. I'm not 100% sure, but I think the computer looks for the default path to the folder, not just the name "iTunes Music"
Quote by Tsucchi

Cool.
Quote by Seryaph
But I changed the location of my iTunes Music Folder. Does that not take care of where iTunes looks for my music?

No, that's why it wants to locate it. Basically, it has to find where the folder went. Unfortunately, most PCs are programmed to be that user-friendly.

PCs are like someone with glasses. If they move their glasses from where they normally put em, they go round forever lookin for em. Same with PCs and folders, you move somethin and the PC takes forever findin it.

(And, by the way, I have glasses.)
are u listening to xzibit too?... Oh when that happens you have to remove every song from your library and re-add it. Practically make a new library reloacating your itunes music folder does nothing, i've been in this situation atleast 10 times before.
ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ

Quote by Xp3ns1v3
I thought it was illegal for women to use the internet.
Sounds to me like you moved your music, but Itunes still thinks it's in the old place.

It doesn't matter that you changed which folder is your default, because Itunes doesn't know you moved all your music to that folder.

So, best thing to do would be to delete everything from the library then have it scan your music folder again.

It will then detect all your music in the place where it actually is.
It could also be a permissions problem - but try putting the music in that folder first.

I it is a permissions problem, in a bash terminal:
su
chmod 777 [/path/to/file/filename.mp3]

or also
su
chown -r [username]:users [/path/to/file/filename.mp3]

If you want to know more or I wrote something incorrect type "man [name of command]" and it will give you the manual.

BTW, I have never really had more than an hour on a Mac - but I know Mac is Bash and Posix compliant.
Quote by rockhardmetal
No, that's why it wants to locate it. Basically, it has to find where the folder went. Unfortunately, most PCs are programmed to be that user-friendly.

PCs are like someone with glasses. If they move their glasses from where they normally put em, they go round forever lookin for em. Same with PCs and folders, you move somethin and the PC takes forever findin it.

(And, by the way, I have glasses.)

So are you telling me that there is no way of telling my iTunes to look for its music elsewhere then where it was originally programmed to? Because I know that there are people out there who keep their music on an external harddrive and play it all from there just fine.

Quote by freedoms_stain
Sounds to me like you moved your music, but Itunes still thinks it's in the old place.

It doesn't matter that you changed which folder is your default, because Itunes doesn't know you moved all your music to that folder.

So, best thing to do would be to delete everything from the library then have it scan your music folder again.

It will then detect all your music in the place where it actually is.

So delete everything from my iTunes library, then have it scan everything from my external hardrive?
Last edited by Seryaph at Oct 25, 2008,
Quote by Seryaph
So are you telling me that there is no way of telling my iTunes to look for its music elsewhere then where it was originally programmed to? Because I know that there are people out there who keep their music on an external harddrive and play it all from there just fine.

Read my above post, you can play it from an external harddrive, i did for a long time but when the songs change location you have to delete them from the library and re-add them for it to know where they are unless you want to relocate all of the songs individually in itunes. Dont worry the mp3 tags will be the same and everything the only thing might be your playlists and the song play count will be gone most likely.

Quote by Xp3ns1v3
Quote by Seryaph

So delete everything from my iTunes library, then have it scan everything from my external hardrive?

Yes.

Quote by Xp3ns1v3
Actually, what he says make sense. An easy fix:

go into your iTunes and click:

File -> Add folder to library

Then find the folder and add it to your library.
Quote by Tsucchi

Cool.
Quote by dylpikle9
Actually, what he says make sense. An easy fix:

go into your iTunes and click:

File -> Add folder to library

Then find the folder and add it to your library.

Delete the old stuff first or you will have a shitload of duplicates.

Quote by Xp3ns1v3
Ok,so a second question then.

Once I have iTunes reading from my external Harddrive, what is the best way to go about adding new songs to my library? Directly to my iTunes Music folder in my external hardrive? I assume that that would directly add it to the actualy library on iTunes, right?
Quote by Seryaph
Ok,so a second question then.

Once I have iTunes reading from my external Harddrive, what is the best way to go about adding new songs to my library? Directly to my iTunes Music folder in my external hardrive? I assume that that would directly add it to the actualy library on iTunes, right?

You don't really need to set anything up just go file>add folder to library>whatever folder your music is in, and your set.

Quote by Xp3ns1v3
You could just add it to your library like you normally would now. Unless you want it on your external HD.
Quote by Tsucchi

Cool.