I really need to start writing my own music but I'm bad at coming up with my own riffs. Can someone give me some pointers?
learn some music theory, or jam along to ur fav songs, but make sure ur louder than the song, so u can hear when u come up with something good
do you know any scales? usually when i try to come up with something i play around in a certain scale till i find something cool.

if not, then you might want to check it out cause having too much freedom(having the whole fretboard) can be a bad thing(may take to long).
I wrote a great riff years back while trying to figure out how to play a different song, then I tweaked it and expanded it. Just play around, theres no set rules to writing riffs, some of the greatest riffs ever written were spur the moment so always have a guitar with you, always be thinking of melodies, it helps to even hum or knock out a drum beat on a table, I prefer to use my chest as a bass drum, my stomach as a snare and the change in my pocket as a hi-hat lol It sounds pretty convincing, you'd be surprised how well you can write riffs in your head.
And most of all you need luck Good luck, I'm off to bed lol
Quote by ravioli123
I wrote a great riff years back while trying to figure out how to play a different song, then I tweaked it and expanded it. Just play around, theres no set rules to writing riffs, some of the greatest riffs ever written were spur the moment so always have a guitar with you, always be thinking of melodies, it helps to even hum or knock out a drum beat on a table, I prefer to use my chest as a bass drum, my stomach as a snare and the change in my pocket as a hi-hat lol It sounds pretty convincing, you'd be surprised how well you can write riffs in your head.
And most of all you need luck Good luck, I'm off to bed lol

I cant thank you enough. I just came up with a riff in like 15 seconds lol!
Quote by dude9521
I really need to start writing my own music but I'm bad at coming up with my own riffs. Can someone give me some pointers?

Tweak's Guide goes over putting together songs and walks through a sample song. I've had days, even months where I have not had a single idea come to mind but whever I get any type of idea I fire up Audacity and save a small file to my computer then go though them every now and then to see what I can do with them.

http://www.tweakheadz.com/recipes.html
i've always been like this.

i'll be dry for ideas for years and then sometimes.. at least once a year.. i'll finish a whole song in about 2 days, mixing and all.

its almost freakish sometimes. something i wish would happen more often :P
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.