Alright, basically, i'm looking for an experimental bass for Christmas. I'm not planning on becoming a permanent bassist, I just want to mess around with it, learn songs on it, but i'd still mainly play guitar.

My question is this: What should I look for that's relatively cheap (nothing over $300) AND would a 6 string bass basically be a guitar, just two octaves lower?

Thanks for any and all help UG!
You know, you're probably reading this saying "Hey, I'm bored, maybe this'll be funny?"
It's not. Too bad. No, I am not refunding you those 6 seconds of your life. So :P

A six string bass would be a heck of a lot bigger than a normal guitar. Not only that, but the neck would be much thicker and the strings would be harder to fret. There is a pretty huge difference between the two. I would suggest getting either a cheap squier or cheap ibanez 4-string bass. That should be good enough to mess around with.

EDIT: Have a look at the FAQ, there are quite a few good starter basses listed that you should consider! Congratulations in entering the magical world of bass!
Last edited by ccmetz2020 at Oct 25, 2008,
Well, what I meant by "would it be like a guitar" was would the strings, in standard tuning, be the same as a guitar in standard tuning, just two octaves lower? I understand there are physical differences but when I played one in my local store one of the clerks said that it was horribly out of tune, so I have NO IDEA what a 6 string bass would sound like in tune?
You know, you're probably reading this saying "Hey, I'm bored, maybe this'll be funny?"
It's not. Too bad. No, I am not refunding you those 6 seconds of your life. So :P

Dont be a dumbass if you never played bass before nd got a six string, you wont be able to fit your hand around it

get an 4 string ibanez nd get a cheap amp
just get the ibanez starter set
ther ****ing banging for the price and you'll have an orgasm when you hear it
a six string bass has one string that is lower then the e(b) and one string higher the the G (b) so its actually like a 7 string guitar with out the first string. im not sure if im rite but i think so
2/17/08 Kosova's independence!!!
to answer one question, no the bass has a different standard tuning, like on guitar EADGBE if im not mistaken well on a six string bass it's BEADGC as standard, but you can tune it to guitar tunings, Ive seen it done before. but still the neck is ridiculous to play on, so a four string is probably your best bet, look at some squires, their beast
Peavy Cirrus 5 string
Squire Jazz bass
Berhinger ultrabass head, 450 cabinet
Resident Marvel Comic expert of the Bass Militia, PM Dinkydaisy to join
]My band's myspace
http://www.myspace.com/jenovamusicpage
Alright, so 6 strings are gargantuan, got it...and I didn't know bass had a different tuning, a friend of mine told me it was like guitar, but only 4 strings (EADG), guess i'll have to call him out on that!

Now for the question that is going to make everyone in this thread HATE me...

After owning a Fender Squier for 6 months and simply despising it (I just don't like the way it looks and the tone sounded wrong no matter how I configured it) I'm rather hesitant to get the same brand bass. Any recommendations outside of Squier? (For the record, I will be playing metal on it when I get it!)

there's a big difference between most 6 string basses and a guitar. Also, a bass is one octave down. Most 6ers are tuned B to C (ie, 1 more string up and one down). there are only two basses I know of tuned E-e, the Fender Bass VI ($2000 and a total rip off) and the Schecter wildcat VI ($600 but a much better deal)

still, if all you have is $300, just get a 4 string
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
I don't blame you for disliking your Squier guitar.

However, the basses are an ENTIRELY different story. The Vintage Modified and Deluxe basses are as good or sometimes better than Mexican Fenders.

Pick up a Squier Jazz bass, as not only is it extremely versatile, but its neck was designed to appeal to guitarists.
to answer your second question, I REALLY like the squire Jazz bass's, they play just as well, if not better than most fender jazz's, and they sound great. however if im not mistaken, schecter makes a great bass for cheap(less than 600), and Ive tried some out, their excellent for metal. but still jazz's make all around excellent instruments
Peavy Cirrus 5 string
Squire Jazz bass
Berhinger ultrabass head, 450 cabinet
Resident Marvel Comic expert of the Bass Militia, PM Dinkydaisy to join
]My band's myspace
http://www.myspace.com/jenovamusicpage
Alright, thanks for all the spectacular help guys, now I know what i'm asking my parents for this Christmas!

Just going to throw in another recommendation to NOT get a 6 stringer as your first bass. Neck will be insanely too big, as you are used to the tiny guitar neck ( :P ), also if you are just going to be messing around on it, I can't see why you would need a 6'er.

Squier does make good basses but, just like when you want a new guitar, try out as many basses as you can, in your price range, and see which one YOU like.
for metal, I may suggest an Ibanez GSR200. not only good for metal, but everything else too. and you can get a sexy flamed maple top on it too. feels real nice. sounds great.

need an amp?
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Get a Squier. I have a Squier P-Bass and it's alright, but I really want to trade it or something for a J-Bass.
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
Quote by Snap017
Alright, thanks for all the spectacular help guys, now I know what i'm asking my parents for this Christmas!

If by that you mean a squire VM P or J bass, then you're definitely making the right choice. There is a good reason why the VMs (especially the jazz) get a LOT of love around here
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.