I'm starting my hunt for a new electric and three of the ones I'm looking at are schecters (C-1 plus, artist, and blackjack) and I was wondering what people thought, is one distinctly better than the others, are there some things i should know when looking, etc.

I had two specific questions aswell.

1. Are the necks really as thick as I've heard? In comparison to a Gibson or an Ibanez neck, where are they?

2. I noticed the c-1 Blackjack had a longer scale, 26.5". How does this affect things? fret spacing bigger? Lots of tension? Anything else?

I just wanted some input since they're all about the same price range (i think theyre all $599 USD actually...) and I wanted to know what sort of set one apart from the others.
Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe/Ibanez RGA42/LTD EC401vf
Into:
Whammy IV>Pitchblack>Dunlop 536Q>Fulltone Fulldrive 2>Hardwire TL-2>MXR 10 Band>Line 6 M13
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab
is it like gibson/epiphone thick or is it just thicker than an ibby?
Into:
Whammy IV>Pitchblack>Dunlop 536Q>Fulltone Fulldrive 2>Hardwire TL-2>MXR 10 Band>Line 6 M13
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab
still pretty fast as far as playability is concerned or is it hindering?
Into:
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab
I just picked up a Schecter C-1, and I had also been reading that the necks are really thick and what not. But once I got the guitar it wasn't nearly as bad as I was expecting. I'm still a noob I guess when it comes to guitars so i haven't got to play very many. But I think the neck is very comfortable and plenty fast.

I can only compare it to the Ibanez my friend has. It is definitely thicker than that but that's not saying much, Ibanez necks are thin as hell.
Last edited by kmoe at Oct 26, 2008,
It is definitely close to a gibson neck, but not quite. The 6 string necks are curved and thick, the 7 strings are a bit flatter.

As for the longer scale, i think it's mostly to help with lower tunings. You probably won't notice a huge difference in the length but it will probably be noticeable. It's baritone scale pretty much.
I really like schecter's diamond series necks, being an owner of a les paul. If you're going to be doing dropped tunings a lot i'd get the blackjack, but otherwise i'd get the artist, because it has the best stock pickups of the 3, and they're some of the best stock pickups you can get.

EDIT: Scratch that, i just saw both the blackjack and artist have SD pickups. So yeah pretty much it's just up to which one looks, sounds, plays, and feels better.
Last edited by HighPotency at Oct 26, 2008,
the 26.5" is for 7 string C7, not C1. Get a blackjack, great everything, if you don't mind black.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Quote by JWD32792

1. Are the necks really as thick as I've heard? In comparison to a Gibson or an Ibanez neck, where are they?

2. I noticed the c-1 Blackjack had a longer scale, 26.5". How does this affect things? fret spacing bigger? Lots of tension? Anything else?

1. No, Schecter necks is not as thick as alot of people claim they are! They are thicker than Ibanez necks, but they are nowhere near the gigantic thickness of Gibson necks! The neck on my C7 Jeff Loomis is close to the same thickness as my friends ESP LTD EX400, so I guess Schecter and ESP necks is alot alike.
If you prefer thin "shredder" necks Schecter might not be what you want, but if you're comfortable with a slightly thicker neck Schecter is a great choice

2. All the Schecter C1's has the standard 25.5" necks, exept for a few surden "extended scale/baritone" models they offer! All Schecter's 7string guitars has a 26.5", which gives higher string tension and therefore makes playing easier on the lov strings.
The standard C1 Blackjack has a 25.5" neck!

hope that helped

Ibanez RG2228 Prestige
Schecter C7 Jeff Loomis FR (18volt mod)
Epiphone Gothic Explorer (with SD Blackouts)
Ibanez RG350M Yellow
Peavey C5 Tigerwood 5string bass
Randall RH150G3
i do have to say that schecter necks are bigger than thee other brands of "metalish" guitars...but there still fast its really weird to explain and my blackjack 6 string is a 25.5 scale neck so..i dont know how you got 26.5
Stop Reading My Signature

Gear:
Schecter C-1 Blackjack w/ EMG 81/85 PA2
Schecter C-1 Classic
Carvin V3m
Boss GE-7
Boss DD-3
I highly recommend just going into a guitar store and trying out the neck. I read a lot of love for Schecter on these forums so I decided to try it out; unfortunately I found the neck too thick and rounded for my liking which really put me off the brand.

Try it out, you can't just trust someone elses opinion on something based on feel!
Here're the spec I got from their support:

Hellraiser FR
Width@ nut ----------- 42mm
Width@12th ---------- 52.7mm
Thickness@1st ------ 21mm
Thickness@12th ---- 22.5mm
Radius ------------------ 13.8"
Profile ------------------- Thin-U

C-1 Classic
Width@ nut ----------- 42mm
Width@12th ---------- 51.2mm
Thickness@1st ------ 21mm
Thickness@12th ---- 22.5mm
Radius ------------------ 13.8"
Profile ------------------- Thin-U

Apparently, Floyd Rose equipped Schecter has a tad wider neck than those with TOM bridges.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

If you want this guitar for regular guitar playing then you want to stay away from the longer scale guitar. These are made for lower tuning instead of the standard guitar tuning EADGBE.

The Schecter necks are right in the middle of the road and very comfortable. Gibson necks will be fatter but not always wider. Ibanez necks vary on all their models. The Ibanez RG necks are the thin flat and wide necks and are preferred for shredding. They are the type of necks either you love them or you hate them. I love them. I'd say you wont go wrong with the Schecter necks are they are much liked and are still very comfortable. You really need to play them all to decide which you prefer. If you are unable to play them then I would say the Schecter as they are middle of the road.
Yeah I'm planning on checking them out I just wanted some opinions going into the whole thing. I guess i accidently clicked on the c-7 backjack instead of the c-1 so that would explain the error. It sounds like something that i may like though, the neck on my ibanez is almost too thin (it sometimes makes my hand cramp up lol).

I was also looking at the esp ec-400vf, it's got the same pup configuration as the blackjack and artist but it's a les paul shape, although i've heard its got fairly thin neck.

Has anyone dealt with this one? How would you compare it to the schecters?
Into:
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab
get the xxx exotic dancers on it

thin neck, dual buckers

STRIPPER INLAYS

sweet finish
Quote by -Blue-
The neck is pretty much in between a strat neck and a les paul neck. It's a little closer to the strat end, though. I love my C-1 plus, so that's my recommendation.

exactly!
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah