I was taught that it's normally the first note, but not always. Not sure about it though...
"I don't care if I fall as long as someone else picks up my gun and keeps on shooting."
Read the theory sticky and the Crusades articles.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Figure out what notes youre playing, and then which scale contains those notes in a specific key.
Quote by Aquaman788
Figure out what notes youre playing, and then which scale contains those notes in a specific key.

and I believe that they ALL have to match correct?
There can't be an odd one out amirite?
Quote by ShaunDiel
Listen to this man. His 2 ideas in five minutes have shat all over your serious ideas.
Quote by Archeo Avis
Read the theory sticky and the Crusades articles.

thread should've ended here.
well. theres 14 possible answers. guess and check. just go up the fretboard until it sounds right.

but in all seriousness, read the crusades and the theory sticky, theyll help. but guess and check works in a tight situation.
Quote by alexjulia
well. theres 14 possible answers. guess and check. just go up the fretboard until it sounds right.
Actually theres 24 possible answers, ignoring enharmonics.

Short answer: the note the song resolves on (sounds finished) and how many sharps/flats are in the song. This will get you the key and the mode it's based around. You just need to know your circle of fifths.

Long answer:... Read the crusade articles.
Last edited by demonofthenight at Oct 26, 2008,
Quote by iceman95
and I believe that they ALL have to match correct?
There can't be an odd one out amirite?

No, there can be accidentals.

TS:
1. Work out notes you are playing
2. Work out which major scale most of them fit into
3. Try ending the song/riff with the note from the tonic of that major scale. If it resolves then go to step four, if not try step two again
4. If it sounds major, it's "note" major. If it sounds minor it's the relative minor of "note" major.

If you don't understand that then as previously said read the crusades and the theory sticky.
Last edited by 12345abcd3 at Oct 26, 2008,