Hey, guys. I’ve seen a lot of guitar F/X pedal setups. Some have things for preamp, EQ, and noise reduction. Others don’t.

So do I really need a preamp/boost, an EQ, and a noise reducer for my pedalboard?

I currently use Mesa Boogie amps and play PRS guitars. And I have around 12-13 pedals in my setup at the moment- some are Boss and the others are boutique.

I’ve been looking into a Psionic Audio Triad for boost, and an MXR 10 Band EQ.

I’ve also been looking into an MXR M135 Smart Gate or an Axess Electronics BS-2 Guitar Audio Buffer/Splitter for noise reduction.

But I don’t want to buy extra pedals if I REALLY don’t need them.

What do you guys think about this? Does my setup require that I get a preamp, an EQ, and a noise reducer?
Take the pedals out of your setup and play straight into the amp for a while. Then ask yourself that question again
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Well I dont know.
Are you having noise issues? If no, than you don't need a noise reducer
Do you like your tone? If no, than you do not need a preamp and an EQ
Quote by Don't Stop
You want to know what I think?

I think you don't need 13 pedals in your setup.

Truthfully, you can have as many pedals one your pedalboard as you want.
Quote by Highwaytohell
Well I dont know.
Are you having noise issues? If no, than you don't need a noise reducer
Do you like your tone? If no, than you do not need a preamp and an EQ

+1
'Cause I have done it before and I will do it some more....
I was never really a pedal guy so I do not know much about them, and correct me if I am wrong (no..really), but if you need 13 pedals...doesn't that mean that your actual amp could be a little better?
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
Here's what I have on pedalboard so far:

MXR M-151 Doubleshot Distortion
Keeley Modified Ibanez TS-808 Tube Screamer
Boss Super Overdrive SD-1
EHX Little Big Muff Pi
Line 6 DL4 Delay Modeler
EHX Deluxe Memory Man
T-Rex Replica Delay
Keeley Compressor
Line 6 Verbzilla
Austone Vibro Stomp
DigiTech HardWire CR-7 Stereo Chorus

All this including Mesa Boogie heads and cabs.

Tell me I don't need a preamp, a noise reducer, or an EQ.
Quote by Jericho-79

EHX Little Big Muff Pi
Line 6 DL4 Delay Modeler
EHX Deluxe Memory Man
T-Rex Replica Delay
Keeley Compressor
Line 6 Verbzilla
Austone Vibro Stomp

Honestly, I've heard some of the worst tones ever come out of Mesas...so that itself can't rule out the need for anything (and judging by 13 pedals, i dont think im too far off base here)

How are we supposed to know how much noise you're getting, or how satisfied you are with your tone. How does our unfounded opinion matter? Use your ears.
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
If the Mesa is a Mark series, then ditch the pedals cause the amp can do so much on its own. If it is a Recto, then throw out the amp cause not even Metallica gets a good tone out of them. Dunno much about the more obscure models (Nomad etc.)
Well, I also use Divide by 13 amps- even more so than Mesas.

I use Mesas more for the 'heavy-sounding' material.
We still don't know how much feedback you're getting. If you're getting feedback than look into a noise suppressor, I'd suggest ISP. If not, then you don't need one.

Do you think you need a boost, or an EQ? What about your tone are you not satisfied with?
you probably don't need an equalizer, and if you can hear noise when you stop playing you know you need a noise suppressor. A boost would be a good idea with your setup, since you have thirteen pedals, you might find the boost useful in restoring the sound quality when comparing your guitar straight into the amp and your guitar through the pedals.
Quote by Jericho-79

EHX Little Big Muff Pi
Line 6 DL4 Delay Modeler
EHX Deluxe Memory Man
T-Rex Replica Delay
Keeley Compressor
Line 6 Verbzilla
Austone Vibro Stomp

ok so are the 3 bolded ones delay? doesnt the line 6 delay modeler allow you to have four different delays?

now the 3 overdrive/distortion.... you are already using 2 different amps...do you need 3 more distortions?

i think you could use a lot less thatn 13 pedals...

TG
Fighting for peace, is like screwing for virginity

Screw you Waldo, go find yourself!!!!
Preamp you may not need but I personaly love a good eq. Really helps me "make" my sound. Noise gates are just if you have a lot of backround noise.
So if I use Mesa and Divide by 13 amps, and if I eliminate some of the pedals, I could forget about getting an EQ and a boost?
before we can answer that, you have to answer this: what is missing from your tone? do you like your tone? are you getting a lot of feedback? do you feel you lose some signal with all the pedals plugged in compared to when they arent?

we cant just tell you how to get a good tone out of your setup.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
if you're not sure, you definitely DON'T need anymore pedals.

as said before, if you have too much noise, get a noise suppressor. whoever said everyone must have a preamp pedal, eq, and a noise reducer is just plain wrong. i have none of those.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by Survivalism
You don't NEED any pedals.

Myself? I WANT every pedal I can get my hands on.

Exactly, but some pedals you actually NEED in a set up, as for some other pedals they are just toys we use to have fun

TG
Fighting for peace, is like screwing for virginity

Screw you Waldo, go find yourself!!!!
Pedals are fun to **** around with, but I generally only have the other pedals incase of doing different tones, whereas I generally use whats below instead.