So I see some of my buddies shredding...

I tried to move my fingers in my right hand (I'm a lefty) as fast as I could, but it still doesnt even look like I can even move it as fast as some shredding speeds. Like, i'm talking just moving my fingers in the air, forget coordinating them to hit somewhere...

Can some people only move so fast? Or does that speed come ver a lot of time...?
you just need to practice.
Save a trip to the RT!
Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.

Top trolling abilities.

Quote by caeser1156
God dammit you had me 10/10
The muscles in your finger are the same as the muscles throughout the rest of your body. Heavy physical exertion over long periods of time will increase your ability to move them rapidly and precisely.
That's stupid. Do you think olympic runners could always move their legs that fast?

It's just a lot of practice.
Last edited by Regression at Oct 26, 2008,
nobody is physically impossible to shred except they dont have hands or something...

you just need practice...
Quote by sbikram
nobody is physically impossible to shred except they dont have hands or something...

I actually saw a guy with only one hand shred and he was amazing. Mind you the hook was on his pick hand...

Threadstarter : PRactice profoundly slow with a metronome until you can practice perfectly, then bump up the speed little by little.
Also, invest in Troy Stetina's book, speed Mechanics for Lead Guitar.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by Shinozoku
: PRactice profoundly slow with a metronome until you can practice perfectly, then bump up the speed little by little.

This. In the words of Slash, Speed is a by product of accuracy. How do you get accuracy? Slow it down, teach your fingers what to do.
When your lying in your bedroom, I hope you say a prayer...
...cause when I get to heaven, I wanna see you there.
Lol, I didn't mean to make you feel stupid TS, just trying to show that practice does actually do something.
it's all about the practice... however shreding sucks anyway :P
Quote by Moggan13
Serjem is like a Bishops testicals: Swollen
ಠ_ಠ
IIIIfb * KARKOLI * ytIIII(mostly rock... a little funky, a little hard just the way you want it )
Quote by sbikram

watch this guy

It's actually very possible =)

though he does have one hand.
Thomas hopes to not have offended anyone with this post. No responsibility whatsoever is taken for any spelling or grammar mistakes, should there be any.

last.fm
Last edited by Samothomas at Oct 26, 2008,
Quote by DerekC99
The muscles in your finger are the same as the muscles throughout the rest of your body. Heavy physical exertion over long periods of time will increase your ability to move them rapidly and precisely.

There are no muscles in your fingers.
Last edited by fps100 at Oct 26, 2008,
Quote by fps100

wut?
Thomas hopes to not have offended anyone with this post. No responsibility whatsoever is taken for any spelling or grammar mistakes, should there be any.

last.fm
Quote by Samothomas
wut?

You have tendons in your fingers, the muscles are located in your hand and arm.
Quote by deHufter
You have tendons in your fingers, the muscles are located in your hand and arm.

Bingo.

Anyway... Once you get the muscle memory going, it'll speed up naturally.

One of the keys to playing fast is to be VERY relaxed. If you try to force the speed with a tense hand, you'll get sloppy and slow results. Make sure you practice using a light touch and proper form. That's how the pros do it.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
I have been playing for 1 year and 7 moths and I can somewhat shred...

That leaves me to believe that it depends on what you practice and amount of time you put into it.

Work on Chromatics, scales, string skipping, and legatos.
Quote by fps100

Semantics, semantics.
Quote by Freepower
It's not speed - it's how efficiently you USE the motion you have available that counts - read the first link in my sig.

Exactly, to play fast licks you don't move fingers faster, just lesser. Same logic apply to the picking hand.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS