Can anyone tell me what key Proud Mary is in? I thought it would be in G, but the A is not minor.....but if it was in D, how could it have a C major chord in its intro?

I ask because I am moonlighting with another band temporarily and they are covering it, but the singer can only sing it when the verse is done over a G chord, rather than a D in the original recording. I want to transpose, but I can't figure out how to get that intro right, and no one else in the band really understands key transposition, no offense--although this example here shows I have more to learn at any rate. Any help would be great.
'Cause I have done it before and I will do it some more....
I'm not sure what key it's in since the chords used contains these notes a b c c# d e f f# g.

but finding the chords is a simple matter of moving everything up two and a half steps.

the easy way would be to just put a capo on the 5th fret, or else you would play bar chords. the chords would be:

F D F D F D C A# G etc...
its in D

that C is in there because that entire intro bit (C A G F) is shoehorned in from somewhere else

otherwise, if you have to transpose it from D to G, move all the chords up a string
C-> F
A-> D
G -> C
F -> B

D -> G
A -> D
Bm -> Em
Last edited by seljer at Oct 26, 2008,