Page 1 of 4
What do you think are the best mp3/video portable players, excluding ipod/itouch?

I am thinking about getting the Creative Zen, but I like to hear others' opinions. Thanks.

Sonny
iPod
Live Rig:
Ibanez Rg 150R w/ Duncan 59s
Marshall JCM2000 TSL60 Head
Mark IV Combo
Marshall 1960a Cab w/ Vintage 30s
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige w/ Duncan 59s
Jackson SLSMG Soloist
Currently in Ontario, Canada.

iPod classic
Quote by futurejimmypage
HOLEY MOLEY MACCARONI!!!! you are like 7 hours into the future. Whats it like? is the war over? is bush dead? Are the new episodes of family guy out yet? is global warming over? Did they unfreeze walt Disney???

i've got a creative zen vision:m (it's now extinct) it had some bugs the first couple months but now it's not doin to bad (knock on wood)

i like havin the radio and the mic (i've recorded hundreds of guitar pieces with it...bad quality but it does its job for my current purposes...)

all in all a good brand to go with... best apple alternative imo

if you have any more q's feel free to ask
If all else fails just get the iPod.
Live Rig:
Mark IV Combo
Jackson SLSMG Soloist

iPod and iTouch are over-rated and over priced. I refuse to buy into Apple's proprietary format.
Quote by sonnyrocker
iPod and iTouch are over-rated and over priced. I refuse to buy into Apple's proprietary format.

Get off the bandwagon.
Live Rig:
Mark IV Combo
Jackson SLSMG Soloist

Quote by DSchmitty
Get off the bandwagon.

This.

The Creative Zen sucks. Two of my friends had them, and both broke in less than a year. Now they have iPods. They still work.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Quote by sonnyrocker

actually they're a lot more reasonably priced than they used to be... still the itouch sucks
Gear:
PRS SE Singlecut, blue with stoptail (my baby)
Line 6 Spider III 75 (shut up)
Epiphone Les Paul standard
Cheapo Yamaha nylon string
even more cheapo Fender steel string acoustic
... that being said... i think the itouch is the best mp3 on the market right now overall... when my czvm finally kicks the crapper i'm gettin an itouch...

czvm is still nice though... but the recording is getting kinda obsolete to me because of the quality and that's the main reason for me gettin it ... and i got a great deal before they were discontinued... 150 for 30 gigs
One thing I like about Creative Zen is that, you can add additional memory by way of SD Card. It also plays AVI format videos as well.
Quote by sonnyrocker

Then f*cking don't!

Buy an iPod, since it's the best on the market, and use f*cking MP3...
Quote by death_metaller
**** burzum XD

there i said it...kinda

edit: i do realise they are not here...so i kinda didnt say it...

fail
feel free to join my group on facebook "ipods suck"
I have a zen vission M, and it never fails
Quote by ttreat31
Zune!

ZUNE!
I want to go as far to the edge without going over. Out on the edge, you can see all kinds of different things.
The Zune =)
no scratches
a decent marketplace
wireless sync
radio
you can add songs you like on the radio to your cart and buy them later
touchpad>click wheel
bigger screen
superior audio quality (Truthfully, the ipod doesn't even have "Superior" audio quality, it's not even the reason it's such a good seller)

the ipod is all looks =)
get a walkman if you're a audio quality freak though.
Quote by Echoplex
Mature pit regulars? Are you retarded?

I am a proud Zune 120 owner
MP3 players made by Sandisk, Zune, and iRiver are better than iPods... except in my opinion the iPod Touch/iPhone cannot be beaten because theres nothing even close to them... but as far as nanos, shuffles, and older ipods go theyre not that great.

However, Id say the major bonus to having an iPod is the compatability with so many accessories.
iPods are the number one bought for a reason, simplicity to the user market, no learning curved involved and have practically no errors what so ever A(of course there are some, but don't even argue the fact that it's minimal), and don't even get me started on the life time, if you don't throw them around, they will last years, I've had my nano for 2 years and still has great battery life, all the newer (meaning last couple of years) generation ipods the battery will never die (like the old ones, and every single mp3 player on the market.
Live Rig:
Mark IV Combo
Jackson SLSMG Soloist

cd+cd player

seriously

cd/torrent----->itunes-------->ipod/mp3------>listener = worst thing to happen to music since mtv
I wouldn't exclude iPods, because iPods suck so much anyways that no one would choose them. I have a Zen, they're pretty reliable, although the program you have to use to download music, Yahoo jukebox, installs so much shit on your comp it's ridiculous. I just listen to CDs now anyways.
Quote by st.stephen
I wouldn't exclude iPods, because iPods suck so much anyways that no one would choose them. I have a Zen, they're pretty reliable, although the program you have to use to download music, Yahoo jukebox, installs so much shit on your comp it's ridiculous. I just listen to CDs now anyways.

Quote by DSchmitty
iPods are the number one bought for a reason, simplicity to the user market, no learning curved involved and have practically no errors what so ever A(of course there are some, but don't even argue the fact that it's minimal), and don't even get me started on the life time, if you don't throw them around, they will last years, I've had my nano for 2 years and still has great battery life, all the newer (meaning last couple of years) generation ipods the battery will never die (like the old ones, and every single mp3 player on the market.

Actually, the only reason they sell good is because:
-Looks
-Commercials
-People don't know any better (meaning they only know about the ipod)
-Social standpoint (Hell no one calls mp3/mp4 players music players or anything of the sort, they call em IPODS.

I don't know anyone who buys and ipod (not the touch or phone) that buys it because of it's "superior" features, or because it has anything profoundly better than ever other mp4 player. (And it is not by anyway)
Quote by Echoplex

WalkMan
Quote by vulcan422
i wish i could see Children Of Bodom agen
Quote by red157
Granted. But you have to endure support by the Miley Cyrus, Jonas Brothers and a steaming turd.

1. Death
2. Children Of Bodom
3. Metallica
4. Megadeth
5. Pantera
6. Cannibal Corpse
Quote by KennethJay
Actually, the only reason they sell good is because:
-Looks
-Commercials
-People don't know any better (meaning they only know about the ipod)
-Social standpoint (Hell no one calls mp3/mp4 players music players or anything of the sort, they call em IPODS.

I don't know anyone who buys and ipod (not the touch or phone) that buys it because of it's "superior" features, or because it has anything profoundly better than ever other mp4 player. (And it is not by anyway)

nice of you to tell us how the rest of the world thinks. Stop assuming things because it makes you look like an idiot.

I for one bought my touch because of all the things i can do with it:

Music (duh)
Video that looks great
FULL INTERNET BROWSER
Can play NES/GBA
awesome photo viewing capabilities
Mxtube (download youtube vids straight to device)
Graphing calculator
dictionary
Apps
Quote by kaosfire
nice of you to tell us how the rest of the world thinks. Stop assuming things because it makes you look like an idiot.

Music (duh)
Video that looks great
FULL INTERNET BROWSER
Can play NES/GBA
Graphing calculator
dictionary
Apps

Holy shit seriously?
Quote by InvaderTSN
Holy shit seriously?

hell yea, look in the app store: FREE
Quote by kaosfire

Music (duh)
Video that looks great
FULL INTERNET BROWSER
Can play NES/GBA
Graphing calculator
dictionary
Apps

You should read my words more carefully >_>, I was talking about the classic/nano lineup. The itouch and iphone are totally new and innovative, but i found that having my 120 gigs to be more important =)
Quote by Echoplex

if creative made something to directly compete with the ipod classic(memory and battery wise) i would drop my 80g classic right now and go buy one. i used to have a Zen vision 2 years ago and it was dope until it got stolen. so many more features...
Quote by KennethJay
You should read my words more carefully >_>, I was talking about the classic/nano lineup. The itouch and iphone are totally new and innovative, but i found that having my 120 gigs to be more important =)

You should notice how my first statement is seperated from the rest. I find it hard to beleive that youve interviewed every ipod owner and compiled a list of reasons why they bought. All youve done is assume. Your post may hold true for some small minority of kids (kids are idiot consumers, i bet we can agree on that) but out of the MILLIONS of ipods sold, i doubt you can boil it down to them being "cool" (tho it certainly hasnt hurt)
u could try anything from iriver
try signing up for rhapsody, and then get the ibiza rhapsody player. if u have wifi u can download any song u want
i use a samsung t10, but its an all glass touch screen so it gets scratched up pretty bad
There isn't an mp3 player that's more seamless, sleek, or smaller than an iPod.

I used to have a Zen Vision M. A brick compared to the iPod classic. Same goes for Zunes.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Oct 26, 2008,
if i were to use a device that required a computer, by the time i've imported the song files i'm bored of the album already and the computer has sucked the soul out of the music.

I know the cd industry is going to die, but i'll alway prefer the ease of popping the disc into the player as soon as i get home. kthanks
Page 1 of 4