I've been comparing the Gibson Explorer and the Agile Ghost, and there dont seem to be much differences between the two...pickups and nut width seem to be the only thing.
http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Divisions/Gibson%20USA/Guitars/X-Plorer/X-plorer/ <- Gibby

http://www.rondomusic.com/product768.html <- Agile
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Schecter C-7 (old 90s style headstock)
Handbuilt 6-string V
Handbuilt Baritone scale 6 string Iceman-copy
Pod HD300
well the biggest differences are going to be in the quality of.. just about everything. hardware, pickups, fretwork, nut and bridge setup as well as overall craftsman in the assembly and finishing.

THAT being said.. i myself have bought an agile over the more expensive guitar and found that they make some killer axes for the little cash you pay.

(i bought the agile septor 7 over the older schecter c7 blackjack that had the duncans)
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
So in this case Agile > Gibson?
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Handbuilt 6-string V
Pod HD300
Quote by Jango22
So in this case Agile > Gibson?

No. In terms of pure quality, the Gibson is pretty much superior in every way, excluding individual eccentricities.

But if you've a mind to save lots of cash, then get the Agile. The Gibson is the better guitar, but not everyone can justify spending that kind of money.

Agiles are for people on a budget.
I've heard bad things about recent Gibson QC lately, though. Would that affect the Explorer or is it mainly the SGs and LPs?
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Handbuilt 6-string V
Pod HD300
^^ pretty much sums it up.

the gibson is the better guitar but that extra amount of money is up to you as to whether its worth that extra.

i'll re-drop the fact that agiles are still very decent axes. i've had mine for about a year, and the setup hasn't decayed as much as my ibanez rg321. frets are still seated nicely and generally no complaints about it. it was $412 CAD delivered to my door.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
I've already made my decision (going with Agile) but I was curious as to what the differences were. It looked like the only fundamental difference that could affect people were pickups/nut width. I didnt really bring QC into the equation.
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Handbuilt 6-string V
Pod HD300
Quote by Kivarenn82
i'll re-drop the fact that agiles are still very decent axes...

Oh, definitely. If you're looking to save a few bucks, Agile comes highly recommended.
Quote by Jango22
I've heard bad things about recent Gibson QC lately, though. Would that affect the Explorer or is it mainly the SGs and LPs?

IMO, if you're worried about QC, you should go to a shop and find one you like, then take home that guitar. Then you don't have to worry about it. But more than anything, it's the Faded series, Studio series, and SG Special guitars that are plagued by bad QC. The model of Explorer you linked would probably not fall prey to that.
I would say go Agile if you are spending less than $600. You won't find a Gibson (obviously)
or Epiphone in that price range that is not about the same. They are making alot
of the Epis in Korea anyways.

I like Gibson's but I don't think that most are worth 2K. You dont have to buy a Gibson to sound great.

I actually got a Halo for my birthday out of curiosity. I had a Jazz/JB set i wasn't
using and dropped them in. I also picked up some grovers. At $139 it kicked a guitars ass I payed $800 for. I felt totally ripped off.
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Last edited by Washburnd Fretz at Oct 26, 2008,
True enough, but a 15 year old with a low-hour part-time job can more afford the Agile than the Gibson. Hell, i have to sell my Jackson or get only the Agile for Christmas! I would eventually save up enough, but it would take a while. But if I wanted to go the Gibson route, i'd almost literally have to save an entire year.
That being said, would an aftermarket explorer pickguard fit on the Agile? I know I'd have to drill holes into it, but I can easily do that with some of my dads tools.
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Handbuilt 6-string V
Pod HD300
I had also considered the LTD EX-400 for a while, but again price came up.
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Handbuilt 6-string V
Pod HD300
Quote by Jango22
That being said, would an aftermarket explorer pickguard fit on the Agile? I know I'd have to drill holes into it, but I can easily do that with some of my dads tools.

Maybe, but if all else fails, I don't think it'd be very hard to make one yourself.

Quote by Washburnd Fretz
I like Gibson's but I don't think that most are worth 2K. You dont have to buy a Gibson to
sound great.

I laughed so hard at your sig.
Hmm...what material would I use? I really like the white pickguard on black finish look, moreso than the plain black.
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Handbuilt 6-string V
Pod HD300
Quote by Jango22
Hmm...what material would I use? I really like the white pickguard on black finish look, moreso than the plain black.

I'd just find a nice piece of plastic and cut it to the desired shape. The pickguard is one of the simpler pieces of the guitar.
Yeah, true enough.

...now I cant wait for Christmas...
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Handbuilt 6-string V
Pod HD300