(Skip to bottom paragraph to skip the backstory)

...for $285, and I was wondering what you all thought-good buy? It was put on consignment around a week ago and labeled as a Peavey Classic tube amp--Well, seeing a supposedly all-tube 50 watt combo piqued my interest, and after some (extensive :bonk research, I discovered that it's a Peavey Classic VT from sometime in the mid 70s to late 80s.

I found some information and reviews, and was even able to dig up a manual in PDF form, though it didn't help much-it really just covered the very basics. Anyways, I also discovered that it's a hybrid amp--not all tube as I initially thought. A return to the store confirmed what my hours of research had discovered: power tubes but no preamp tubes. Now, I don't really know all of the ins and outs when it comes to Tubeage, having only played for a couple years, but I'm not really sure if it's as great a buy as I had thought at first.

It might help if I told you what I currently use: I have a 16 watt Kustom practice amp, and it works fairly well for me. It covers blues, classic rock and some hard rock just fine and I can get some almost-metal sounds out of it as well, although I wouldn't mind if it could handle distortion better. For effects I have a Boss GS-10, and while I hate the preamp on it the effects sound alright for the most part. I'm seriously considering a Radial Tonebone Hot British Overdrive, because I've heard some good things about it and I feel that my gear is starting to hold me back since I've joined a semi-serious band and have done a handful of somewhat sizable gigs (I've borrowed amps for gigging from the same store mentioned earlier). So basically I need something that can handle the point that I've reached and continue to expand with my skill, and I figure a 50-watt 4x10 combo should do well.

To further describe the amp, it has four different inputs: Normal, Bright, Series and Parallel, a separate pre-gain control for the Normal and Bright channels, a 3-band equalizer, spring reverb and a master volume control. I tried it out, and while I wasn't particularly enamored with the distortion, the cleans sound excellent. I'm not sure what tubes it has in it, aside from my research telling me that they are 6l6s (Which doesn't mean much to me; as I said earlier, tubes are all greek to me). It also gets very LOUD, and I figure that it should be good for my sound (Tube), and also able to handle effects well? You tell me. I would like to play some blues, classic rock, hard rock, and some metal-more Iron Maiden than Cannibal Corpse. The distortion on it doesn't bother me too much though, because as I said earlier I am thinking of buying an overdrive pedal.

Anyways, help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance, everyone!

TL;DR:

Local store got Peavey Classic VT 50 watt 410 combo amp on consignment for $285; It would be replacing my 16 watt solid-state practice amplifier. I need to play medium-small gigs, and expandability is key (So I'd like it to handle larger gigs in the future). I am interested in playing blues, classic-and-hard rock and Maiden-esque Metal, but distortion may be handled with an overdrive pedal in the future. Thanks, guys.
Studies show that 89.27% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
power tubes but no preamp tubes?

i think you have it the other way around..

power tube sections are much more expensive to produce than transistors. look at the marshall avt for example, tube preamp and transistor poweramp for the price of an ss(roughly).
All of my research thus far has indicated otherwise, although with my limited understanding of tube amplifiers I could easily be wrong. Let me take a look for a good source-most of my information has come from old reviews and the like.

EDIT:

I found the manual again, hurrah! It's not the exact model, however (the one I'm interested in doesn't have a Phaser).

http://www.peavey.com/media/pdf/manuals/80343001.pdf

The second page states that the preamps "...are comprised of the latest high speed integrated circuits which..." etc.

Thanks, both of you, for your time and your responses.
Last edited by lethalagent14 at Oct 26, 2008,
Quote by injected
power tubes but no preamp tubes?

i think you have it the other way around..

power tube sections are much more expensive to produce than transistors. look at the marshall avt for example, tube preamp and transistor poweramp for the price of an ss(roughly).

Nope. There were some Music Mans with similar construction in the '70s as well, I believe. Supposedly gives a very clean tone.
Bump. Anybody have any experience with these amps?
One last bump. Tomorrow I'll go try it out again, and who knows? I may even buy it.