Later on today I'm taking a Jet Blue flight from JFK to Buffalo and I'm really wanting to take my Ibanez back up to college. Does anyone know if they allow guitars in soft gig bags as carry on for Jet Blue planes? Like will they put it in a closet or something? I have a hard case but I'm really really weary about checking it. I might have to sweet talk my way through security with it but being a New Yorker and knowing that security is tight, especially at JFK and the NY area, i dont know how well that will work. I guess I'll give the airlines a call to get somewhat of an idea but even if they tell me no I might try, i just don't want to have to gate check my guitar in a soft case, I think I'd cry.

So does anyone have any prior experience with bringing a guitar on Jet Blue flights?
I think I might have seen someone with one once, but I wouldn't gamble on it. It won't fit in the storage compartments.

The only other thing I can think of is this.
Nope, no sig here.
well im pretty sure you can't have a guitar as a carry on its too big.

but the real question is where to do go UB or BU?
off topic:

Are they done with the JetBlue terminal yet? That airport is such a POS for such a well known name
Quote by fudger
well im pretty sure you can't have a guitar as a carry on its too big.

but the real question is where to do go UB or BU?

I go to UB

and yeah they finished the Jet Blue terminal at JFK, its pretty damn nice too.
Doubt it, strings can be used as a weapon. the whole guitar can be. besides, its too big
MaKing thE possiBlE...
...totaLlY impossible
Quote by EnyoAdonai
Doubt it, strings can be used as a weapon. the whole guitar can be. besides, its too big

thats such a stupid concept tho... anything can be used as a weapon.

so... should I risk checking the guitar with the hard case?
just flew out with my guitar from east coast to west coast. usually you have to buy a childs ticket to to take your guitar on board...and i sure as heck wouldnt check it.
Quote by Maverickxl7
thats such a stupid concept tho... anything can be used as a weapon.

so... should I risk checking the guitar with the hard case?

You can use ur dick as a weapon. Rape to the death.

But seriously just call em up and ask.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
I wouldn't think you could I had to check my guitar and sax because my alto sax was too big for carry on so I'm pretty sure that a guitar would be....pick up harmonica?
Quote by CowboyUp
Whats a penis?
lol, alright I'll call them up and find out, and then after the flight I'll let y'all know what happened for future reference.
Depends on the airline. As far as I know, Jet Blue is a fairly accommodating airline, unlike, say, TACA(the airline my family uses to go back and forth between El Salvador and the States). If I were you, I'd unstring it though.
They might feel awkward if they've seen the credits to snakes on a plane
I think its time to pack your things lets go,
To a place where we both know,
And dont worry, I'll drive real slow,
Spend some time before we go..
Depends on airline policy and plane size.

I mostly fly with United, and their police is if it can fit in the overhead bin, it's allowed. So in national or continental flights, it should be fine. But for short and regional flights in a jet, probably not.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
just buy an ATA approved flight case and check it, you almost always have to buy an extra seat for the guitar if you take it as a carryon.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
just put it in a case, padlock that mother and stick a fragile sticker on it. If it has a fragile sticker they have to be careful with it.
GEAR
Legend LP
Nylon Acoustic
Legend 10D Amp
Korg AX3G

flickr
i took my guitar to australia and back heres what you have to do:
Soft case CAN BE TAKEN ON AN INTERNATIONAL FLIGHT AS A CARRY-ON(but check you airline for policies)
Hardcase(me): unwind the strings a bit to get rid of the extra tension. undo the strap holder at the bottom of the guitarand put in a safe place. pack your case with a f-load of loosely crumpeld news paper. check it in as fragile, dont just put a fragile sticker on it.
hope it helps
LET THE CHIPS FALL WHERE THEY MAY

I don't trust anything that bleeds for 5 days and doesn't die (about women) - Jens Ludwig

Quote by leony03
That made me lol so hard!!!

yay
Alright so just to let you guys know, I ended up checking my guitar in the hard case with fragile written all over it and it ended up being fine. I was going insane tho thru the terminal and on the plane and especially waiting for the baggage to come (we waited like 30 minutes, it wasn't funny lol).

So first I called Jetblue and this lady who was friendly but not reassuring at all said i "Most likely" won't be able to take the guitar as a carry on. I was like, wtf does Most likely mean?! i was really freakin out at this time cuz i really didnt want anything to happen to it. So then i put all the fragile signs on it, put a sock at the bottom of the guitar where the strap pin was so it wouldn't get crushed, and wrapped it in tape cuz i didn't have a lock (this didnt' matter cuz the assholes at security opened it when I was gone and then moved the ****ing socks that i put there to help protect it... ****ers). So then at the terminal i was freakin out again cuz it looked like they didn't know what to do with it. Idk it was crazy. at Baggage when i got my guitar back i like kissed it. I immediately took it out while waiting for my friend to pick me up and checked it to see if it was damaged at all. nothing as far as i knew. Thank God.

well yeah, so for future knowledge, you're probably gonna have a hard time getting ur guitar on carryon, most likeley will have to buy an extra seat for ur guitar, and probably will have to check it. Just be super careful when checking it, I don't reccommend it at all because the guitar is in someone else's hands and not urs. I guess its all a matter of luck.
Quote by Sixp0under
If its acoustic, you can hide stuff in the hole...
Thank me later.

like johnny cash did.
sup, my name is abe
Quote by Maverickxl7
Alright so just to let you guys know, I ended up checking my guitar in the hard case with fragile written all over it and it ended up being fine. I was going insane tho thru the terminal and on the plane and especially waiting for the baggage to come (we waited like 30 minutes, it wasn't funny lol).

So first I called Jetblue and this lady who was friendly but not reassuring at all said i "Most likely" won't be able to take the guitar as a carry on. I was like, wtf does Most likely mean?! i was really freakin out at this time cuz i really didnt want anything to happen to it. So then i put all the fragile signs on it, put a sock at the bottom of the guitar where the strap pin was so it wouldn't get crushed, and wrapped it in tape cuz i didn't have a lock (this didnt' matter cuz the assholes at security opened it when I was gone and then moved the ****ing socks that i put there to help protect it... ****ers). So then at the terminal i was freakin out again cuz it looked like they didn't know what to do with it. Idk it was crazy. at Baggage when i got my guitar back i like kissed it. I immediately took it out while waiting for my friend to pick me up and checked it to see if it was damaged at all. nothing as far as i knew. Thank God.

well yeah, so for future knowledge, you're probably gonna have a hard time getting ur guitar on carryon, most likeley will have to buy an extra seat for ur guitar, and probably will have to check it. Just be super careful when checking it, I don't reccommend it at all because the guitar is in someone else's hands and not urs. I guess its all a matter of luck.

Weird, I've brought mine on carryons a few times (ironically also from home to college, and I go to college in buffalo as well lmao).

On Southwest they just put it in a closet towards the front of the plane, not even with the bags and stuff. I guess its the closet for the flight attendants or whatever. But they've always been extremely helpful with me as far as flying with one goes. Oh and obviously I bring it in a hard case just in case haha.
i was gonna say, you can't put locks on any of your luggage in the US at least, so don't do that.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Ok seriously, I flew my guitar out west with me this summer, it might have been because I was on WestJet which is the friendliest airline ever, but this is what they let me do.

I was told I couldn't use it as a carry-on, and that's their policy so whatever, can't argue... but they did tell me that any musical instruments could be "gate checked."

That is, you leave your guitar just outside the plane with a special tag, and they put it onboard specially with the strollers/wheelchairs etc. And when you get off the plane, it's rate their with a flight attendant ready to be picked up.

I did this on my flight out and my flight back (I lived out there for 5 months, so having my acoustic was a necessity) and never had any problems.

And as always... loosen the strings alot or take them right off, cause air pressure does whacky things to a guitar.
Electrolytes Smell Like Semen...
I've never had a problem with guitar as a carryon, and I have a soft gig bag. If it doesn't fit into the overhead (which it usually does), the attendants will put it in the coat closet in the front (usually first class area). Just don't draw too much attention and act like you've done it hundreds of times before and they shouldn't give you trouble.