Hello everyone. I'm considering buying a used Ibanez RG 470 (actually have it on layaway but can still change it to something else), but have heard mixed reviews about them on the Harmony Central review site. It's the Korean model with the Infinity pups and the lo-trs II trem. I'd like to hear from users hear if this is good guitar or if I should consider getting something different. My other options from the music shop where I have the guitar on layaway at are a used Jackson SDK2 (Japan made), a new Schecter 006, and a new Schecter Omen 6 with EMG's already installed - all for about the same prices ($300-ish). Thanks.
I'd not get that. The Lo-TRS II is horribly bad. I'd get the SDK2.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by stratdud39
the schecter Omen 6 if the EMGs are active. You could then switch its neck out for a nice on, and swap out all the hardware, and turn it into a heavy metal machine.

Nope, EMG's on this are passive. You don't like the Schecter necks?
Quote by oneblackened
I'd not get that. The Lo-TRS II is horribly bad. I'd get the SDK2.

Yeah, I read that the TRS II is junk. If that's the only thing bad about this guitar though I could either swap it out for a TRS 1, which I've read are better, or a Floyd Original Pro, which both will retro-fit with no modifications needed into the guitar's existing cavity. If the body and neck are known to be solid winners then it's worth it to me to just swap out the TRS II . . .
Floyd Pro>TRS-1. Everything else is good, IMO.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
don't, the lo-trs II is total crap, not to mention the rg470 was normally MIJ. EDIT: the lo-trs is total crap too, don't switch out the II for the I, that's like shooting yourself in the foot and trying to cure yourself by shooting yourself in the other foot...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
don't, the lo-trs II is total crap, not to mention the rg470 was normally MIJ. EDIT: the lo-trs is total crap too, don't switch out the II for the I, that's like shooting yourself in the foot and trying to cure yourself by shooting yourself in the other foot...

I lol'd, but seriously, Dave's right.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Quote by Dave_Mc

How 'bout the Floyd in the 470? Or maybe even just blocking the trem (it's the RG neck I really like).
Quote by Dave_Mc

+1.

^Why not go for a 5XX or higher?
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
^ yeah, you have to go up to the 5xx series to get a good floyd. I *think* the 470s in 2003 may have had edge pros, but (if they even did, that's hearsay on my part) that was the only year.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by aznrockerdude
+1.

^Why not go for a 5XX or higher?

My local music shop isn't an Ibanez dealer and the 470 he has is used and the only Ibanez he has. Plus the used price for the 470 is pretty cheap.
how cheap?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?