As the title says, I'm having a lot of trouble playing standing up. I play sitting around 95% of the time, so I'm hoping more time spent playing standing will solve the problem.

The main problem is my right hand, when the guitars low (the kind of height the average rock guitarist has their guitar at) I can barely palm mute and my hand is under a lot of strain. My left hand has trouble accessing the higher frets on the higher strings too.

Does everyone else start with such a problem or is it just me? Any ideas on how I could improve?
I had this problem when I started out. You could either pull the guitar right up (See Tom Morello). I played EVERYTHING sat down, until I had my first gig, which I realised I had to stand up. Just play in front of a mirror and play everything stood up for a while. Your hands will hurt, hell, reaching those higher frets with the left hand still hurts me.
Most people do struggle at first

but generally the guitar may be to low for you, adjust the strap who cares where average rock people have it,

also try put ur leg up on a smal lchair or something when u palm mute
to both of you, maybe raising your guitar will help, it may look "dorky" to some people, but, if it hampers your playing to have the cool position, then there is a problem. also, just do basic warmups while standing, it helps.
you are hearing me talk

CHECK OUT MY TUNES ON MY PROFILE

Gear:

laney VC30
tele/jaguar hybrid
Big muff
Small clone chorus
memory boy
Hadrwire RV-7 reverb
DD3 delay
Dunlop Crybaby wah
TS9 overdrive clone
home made tremolo
Quote by edwarde
to both of you, maybe raising your guitar will help, it may look "dorky" to some people, but, if it hampers your playing to have the cool position, then there is a problem. also, just do basic warmups while standing, it helps.

This. When i started out my guitar was all the way up.. I would then slowly lower my guitar after every few days.. After a while i could easily play standing..
Quote by edwarde

yup, play easier songs to start with then build yourself, then when you get used to it, lower it if you want i wear my guitar/bass round my knees now
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Fender Hot Rod Devile 4x12

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
just play standing up ALOT . practice. and when you need to reach the higher frets on higher strings (solos) put a foot up on a monitor (thats what their for :P) or angle your guitar upwards (see any pic of slash)
lie on the ground for solos and pretend ur having a fit?
I am so tired of rhetorical questions. Or am I?
i was absolutly hopeless at playing standing up when i first started which was also the time when slash was my idol and what helped me was watching videos on youtube of him and i watched how he held his guitar when he was soloing and things like that
Wanna know what gear i have? check my profile
Black Beauty Owners Group
Muddy Waters invented electricity

Paul Kossoff = Genius
As someone said before, you can have the guitar sit higher up on your body until you get used to it.

Worked for meee
Like everyone says, shorten your strap until the guitar is in roughly the same place it would be when you play sitting.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Am I the only person who has the reverse problem and can't play sat down?

But anyway, tom morello levels of strap height are the best ways to go about it So much easier to play imo, than having the guitar down near your knees..
Quote by devildriver1
As the title says, I'm having a lot of trouble playing standing up. I play sitting around 95% of the time, so I'm hoping more time spent playing standing will solve the problem.

The main problem is my right hand, when the guitars low (the kind of height the average rock guitarist has their guitar at) I can barely palm mute and my hand is under a lot of strain. My left hand has trouble accessing the higher frets on the higher strings too.

Does everyone else start with such a problem or is it just me? Any ideas on how I could improve?
strap low and look "cool" or strap high and actually be able to play well. your choice.

time and practice will improve your ability to play standing up.
but if you strap low, the ergonomics will always hold you back.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
If you are just going to pump powerchords wear it where ever.

If you want to play guitar however, holy shit, adjust it to where it's comfortable.
I'm having the exact same problem right now... I've been playing for a couple months shy of 2 years and all of a sudden last week i wanted to play standing up (i never did before)... I definitely feel like it affected my picking hand more, although i have problems w/ my fretting hand sometimes too, esp at the high frets. I'm just gonna keep plugging away until i feel completely comfortable at it...
Just raise your strap higher. No, it doesn't look cool, but it works.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
the thing is most average rock guys play power chords, and not that difficult stuff, raise the strap, their are plenty of sweet musicians who play really high up.
Peavy Cirrus 5 string
Squire Jazz bass
Berhinger ultrabass head, 450 cabinet
Resident Marvel Comic expert of the Bass Militia, PM Dinkydaisy to join
]My band's myspace
http://www.myspace.com/jenovamusicpage
Quote by xyber56
This. When i started out my guitar was all the way up.. I would then slowly lower my guitar after every few days.. After a while i could easily play standing..

This is exactly what i did
it gets easier and easier

looks cool to me. Give it a shot.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
Do as everyone is advising you, raise the strap, and as you get better you can lower it. When I started standing up I couldn't play any bar chords, but I raised my strap and built up some strength and muscle memory in my left hand, and eventually I lowered my guitar, really low. When I solo I go by Zakk Wylde's advice, find something to put your leg on and prop the guitar up on your leg. Good luck man.
i have the exact same problem, i just find it very uncomfortable, but thats probably cuz i have a neck heavy guitar...

meh i dunno, i just like playing sat down
I practice reclined, similar to a standing position. Feet up, arms free by my side (not touching the couch, you need to put pillows behind you to prop you up, no wider than your back), head supported, you can play for hours and when I stand my guitar and arms are in the exact same position. Highly recomend it.
Quote by in2thesun88
Do as everyone is advising you, raise the strap, and as you get better you can lower it. When I started standing up I couldn't play any bar chords, but I raised my strap and built up some strength and muscle memory in my left hand, and eventually I lowered my guitar, really low. When I solo I go by Zakk Wylde's advice, find something to put your leg on and prop the guitar up on your leg. Good luck man.

I use one of my trumpet players . How many people can say that?
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120