Arpeggios are done thus. Basically, you take a chord from a scale and play the intervals in it. The link explains a hell of a lot better than me.

I don't think there's a set way of creating motifs (as in an interval formula or similar), I just choose a scale and play notes out of it until I find something nice.

As I understand it (flawed?) a motif is simply a recurring "theme" throughout a piece, for example the main verse riff in a song would be a motif. Don't trust this though, I don't know my stuff with motifs really.
An arpeggio is an Italian word for broken chord. So an arpeggio is where you take a chord and play the notes one at a time rather than all at the same time.

Motifs, to my knowledge, are just riffs like the guy above me said. In that cause you'd create them the same way you create any piece of music, just come up with an idea.
sig goes here
Quote by MopMaster
I don't think there's a set way of creating motifs (as in an interval formula or similar), I just choose a scale and play notes out of it until I find something nice.
There is, but it's not something I could cover in a thread. You would have to go out and borrow (from a library) or buy a melody writing book. It's sort of the thing classical students and uni students would have to study, so it's sort of advanved.

An arpeggio is an Italian word for broken chord. So an arpeggio is where you take a chord and play the notes one at a time rather than all at the same time.
This
Quote by demonofthenight
There is, but it's not something I could cover in a thread. You would have to go out and borrow (from a library) or buy a melody writing book. It's sort of the thing classical students and uni students would have to study, so it's sort of advanved.

Those are just guide lines to an effective melody, they don't ensure a good melody and your melody wont necessarily be bad without them.

That said, it's still good to know them and a good starting point to writing melodies, but again, not a set formula for them.
"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, your eyes will get sore after a while."