Hi, I need to get grade 4 in my guitar so I can take Music at A level next year in college, I have about 9-10 months to get it, max. After the half term the music teacher is going to go over a few things with me about what I need to do and all that, but I wanted to make a start on some of the theory I'd need to know before then and just get an all round better idea of the stuff you need to do/ know to pass the grade. Never done any of these grades or whatnot before so have no idea what to expect.

If someone who knows about guitar grades and the likes could tell me the specifications to pass I'd be really grateful, have had a little look on the net but it doesn't seem clear so I thought I'd consult the pit. So what I'm looking for is what theory I need to know, and songs n stuff that I'd need to be able to play or whatever just so I can get the grade before next school year.

Quote by tubetime86

Nothing compliments a Gibson Les Paul Custom quite like a Fender Frontman 15R

I think it's grade 5 you need, don't you also need grade 5 theory?
Gear:

Fender Jaguar Bass
Ashdown MAG300H Head
Ashdown 410 T Deep Cab
Epiphone Thunderbird
Squier P/J Bass
SKAK20BA Practice Bass Amp
read about it on their website rockschool or guildhall, 3 pieces pretty easy, scales arps, ear tests, sight reading, chord knowledge.

im about to put a 10 year old through grade 4 (but he is a bit of a prodigy)
Quote by Tw8xy
read about it on their website rockschool or guildhall, 3 pieces pretty easy, scales arps, ear tests, sight reading, chord knowledge.

im about to put a 10 year old through grade 4 (but he is a bit of a prodigy)

Thanks, will check that out.

And CrowLord, yeh I shall have a look at that book
Quote by tubetime86

I'm doing it soon as well.
Learn scales, sight reading and you need to buy a book from the place you're doing it so you can get the music. I don't know about where you're doing it, but the one i'm doing it for you need to know a piece of music for 3 groups.
It's not that hard, just the theory stuff. Pick up the book of the play you're doing it and it'll tell you everything you need to know.
X
The answer is dont do an a-level do a national diploma its much more up to date
Cool. Hey do you need to be able to read sheet music? It's not a big problem if you do, but atm I only really read tabs, can do a bit of sheet, but not very comfortable with it atm
Quote by tubetime86

the pices are the easisest, as long as you know them inisde out.

the harder stuff is theory, ear tests ect.

so basically, the sooner you start, the more time you have to work on it.
Quote by Stearner
Cool. Hey do you need to be able to read sheet music? It's not a big problem if you do, but atm I only really read tabs, can do a bit of sheet, but not very comfortable with it atm

Yes. You'll need to be fluent too, because you will be examined on your sight-reading.

It won't be difficult to get grade 4 in 10 months though, it's not until you reach the higher advanced grades where you actually have to work at it.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Quote by Ripper_66
I think it's grade 5 you need, don't you also need grade 5 theory?

Yeah.

You need grade 5 in Theory and/or grade 5 in an instrument.
May the Force be with You.
Carmel is hawt
about sight reading...isnt it you can either do improvisation OR sight reading.

Unless they changed it :S
"Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes"

"Like a blind man at an orgy, I was going to have to feel my way through"

Quote by YngwieJnr
about sight reading...isnt it you can either do improvisation OR sight reading.

Unless they changed it :S

this is correct

also you dont have to do a seperate theory on the rock school exams. they are recognised by colleges and unis
Quote by shibby013
The answer is dont do an a-level do a national diploma its much more up to date

Possibly true?
Quote by Jackolas
Possibly true?

Personally dont think that national diplomas are "more up to date. They look like a more specialsed version of a levels. for example there is not such a wide range of learning, however they teach more applications of what you are learning, which would be useful for work.

I prefer my academically intensive IB tyvm :p
"Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes"

"Like a blind man at an orgy, I was going to have to feel my way through"