Ok. So my guitar teacher was getting me into learning scales and stuff, and naturally he gave me the 5 pentatonic shapes to learn. So i learnt em. And stopped having lessons because of money troubles :x

But one thing that confuses me is, how do i know when to use any of these patterns? I solo usually using the first pattern (5-8, 5-7, 5-7, 5-7, 5-8, 5-8) and it seems to work well on all frets. But i was curious as to when and where i could use the other patterns... Are they specific to a certain note only? Like C or A? Or is it all to do with root notes?

Confusingly wrote, but yet still a pretty simple question i hope?
the other patterns are so that you can work you way around the fretboard rather than sticking to that specific block. As long as you keep in the same key then yea it will/should sound good in your solos
Quote by .arkness:.
I did it in the church confession booth. i jizzed all over the mesh in an attempt to hit the priest.
Yeh i kinda understand that already..I was just curious as to how do i know which one's to use and where kinda thing? Like i know there's the standard one on the 5th fret (A minor penta) And then there's also one starting on the 8th fret, different pattern. Still in A minor.

But how can i work out which to use for others?
Quote by steeLmonkeyz
Yeh i kinda understand that already..I was just curious as to how do i know which one's to use and where kinda thing? Like i know there's the standard one on the 5th fret (A minor penta) And then there's also one starting on the 8th fret, different pattern. Still in A minor.

That shape for A minor that starts on the fifth fret has the first note as the root note, if you want to use that pattern in a different key just start on the corresponding fret, e.g. G minor would be starting on the third fret. All the other scale patterns would then also shift however many amounts of frets (2 in A minor to G minor's case).
"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, your eyes will get sore after a while."
Quote by steeLmonkeyz

Going with your example: say you have the one for A minor on the 5th fret and then the other one on the 8th fret and so on. Those are all extensions of the one for A minor. Since the A minor pentatonic is there on A, you use it when the song is in A minor. If the song was in C minor, you would move the minor shape up 3 frets as well as every other shape.

^+1 to above
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Still don't really get it. :/ Is there a theory lesson on this exact thing that i can go over?

Ok, think i myt get it now. Is there a lesson that kinda shows you all the places you can play the patterns for each note? Like all the A patterns on the fretboard, all the C's, E's..?

Thanks.
They just go in order.

Say you have a song in A minor. You would use the A minor pentatonic scale over it. Those patterns are just to help you learn the notes, nothing more, nothing less

So if a song is in A minor and you want to use the pentatonic, just use the A minor pentatonic: A C D E G You just play those notes where ever you want.

If the song is in A major, use the A major pentatonic: A B C# E F#
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
^Exactly. If you want an easy way to know where the notes for all the keys are then learn the scales for all the keys.
"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, your eyes will get sore after a while."