Page 1 of 4
Robino_Ibanez
fails at epic NPD's.
679 IQ
Tubes! Here at UG we love them. Every day tons of new threads come up asking UG for tube amp recommendations. Most only have a bit of money and need an amp that can do home practice well. The idea of this thread is that we will post some reviews of commonly recommended tube amps which are smaller in size (>20 watts) and inexpensive in price (>600$), and that we will give suggestions for UGers about small tube amps.

Note: Please check out the stickies for more information. This guide is not intended to replace them but to add to the knowledge – only a small amount of these amps were already reviewed in the stickies.

Considerations about tube amps
In general, tube or solid state doesn’t matter if it sounds good. For some genres (extreme metal, usually), solid state amps would be preferred because they can usually achieve higher gain distortion. Some prefer solid state amps because they need them to stay clean at higher volumes, like the Roland JC, a famous clean solid state amp. Others may have to spend their money on a higher wattage amp rather than a more toneful one due to gigging requirements – though tube amps sound louder than solid states of the same wattage due to better harmonics. Many have chosen solid state amps out of fear of the maintenance required for tube amps. Or, you may think that you need versatility and portability that no tube amps at a regular price range offer. Many of these are poor reasons not to buy a tube amp –wattage shouldn’t be taken over tone, maintenance of tube amps isn’t really that bad, etc. It is also a general rule that tube amps sound more musical and warm than a solid state amp. Transistors clip harshly when turned up and many solid state amps sound sterile even when turned down. Tube amps will produce decent sounds at low volumes and sound superb when you crank the volume knob. Overall, despite the reasons why many choose not to buy a tube amp, the reasons to do so are usually stronger. So do what works for you!

It is also strongly recommended that you go for a used amp. You will get tons more bang for your buck, ie. a better amp. And don’t let this thread be your sole guide – try before you buy and get what you like.Now for some reviews! Prices in USD from Musicians Friend.

Amps below 10 watts – probably strictly for home practice, great because they can be cranked at home and this is when tube amps sound their best. That being said, a 10 watt amp is half as loud as an 100 watt amp (don't believe me? go to www.amptone.com) so you really can't crank a low-wattage amp at 2 AM in an apartment building. If you need really low volume then an attenuator may still be a good idea. That being said, I manage to get a fair bit of power tube distortion out of my 15 watt traynor at home.
Reviews needed for: Peavey Royal 8, Orange AD-5, Electar Tube 10, Blackstar HT-5, anything else anyone can think of. Some more in-depth analysis is welcome for the amps currently posted.
Low Gain
Epiphone Valve Junior – Famous amp that put 5 watt tube amps in style. I believe it sounds sweet stock and can be modded easily, but still has the problem of many mini-sized tube amps of being "boxy" in a combo form due to small speaker. Comes in halfstack form as well as combo. $199.
Crate V5 – Pretty much the cheapest way to get your hands on a tube amp at $99. I tried it and it’s not bad, does sound musical and tubey but honestly I’d go for a good cheap solid state amp over this at the price (cube, vypyr, valvetronix anyone?).
Champ 600 RI. Im pretty sure the Gretsch is the same amp too. -review from beckyjc
Not a fan at all. Sounded thin and tinny, deffinately not what i expected, but maybe im just not a fan of the "tweed-ish" fender clean tone, sounded just like i was plugged straight into the speaker, i was expecting alot more colour in the sound, sounded quite responsive though to dynamics, a clean boost or overdrive would fatten it up. I was quite shocked at how quiet this was for a 5 watter amp, probably down to the 6" speaker, but the volume was at 9/12, and it was basically bedroom levels (Or my idea of bedroom levels). I didnt really try to get overdrive out of the amp, after about 10 minutes of playing with it i left the shop dissapointed, the guy even warned me before i tried it id be dissapointed, i'd take the VJ any day.

I have heard that the champ does have nice clean headroom but sounds poor with the stock speaker. Through a 4x12 or other cabinet it may sound significantly better.

Mid Gain
Blackheart Little Giant – IMO a really great sounding amp, the Valve Jr’s opposition. 5 watts switchable to 3, and built in eq too. Available as a combo or halfstack. Ironically, they told me to turn it down at the store… on the 3 watt setting!! But it sounded excellent for blues and rock. At $349 it is quite expensive though. Many say that if you buy a Valve Jr. and spend the difference in money on pedals, the VJ sounds better.
Little Giant Demo
Blackheart Killer Ant – Blackheart’s 1-watt head. $179 seems a little steep for 1-watt, but of course it is intended to be cranked. Has a “cool-factor” about it. I would expect that it sounds good cranked. Probably has no clean headroom whatsoever though.
Blackheart Killer Ant Demo
Fender Vibro Champ – Great idea, not really my cup of tea. If you want some extra bells and whistles (effects, built-in voicings) then this would be a better choice than something like a Spider. When I tried it I thought it seemed kinda noisy and not that musical. But it is recommended around here a lot and beats the other cheap “tube modelers” by a ways. $259.
The Super Champ is like the Vibro Champ but 15 watts instead of 5. I never got the chance to try it, but...
Quote by hendriko
It's even better - it's more "grown up", the 10" speaker and 15w sound a lot fuller and better - plus: it has a clean channel that's independent from the voicing!

High Gain – WARNING: tube amps under 10 watts are not recommended for high gain. You should probably get a bigger tube amp or a good modeller for a similar price if you play metal.
Peavey JSX – Satriani’s practice amp. Packed with a few extra features the other 5-watt tube amps don’t have – tremolo, effects loop, “power sponge”, etc. Can supposedly go higher gain than most 5-watt tube amps, but if you need high gain at a low price I’d still go for a Cube or Vypyr over a 5-watt tube. Better yet, at this price you could get a larger tube amp that’d do metal well. Though I’m a big Satriani fan, $499 seems very steep for this type of amp to me. After trying the Peavey JSX Mini Colossal my thoughts have been confirmed. There are better amps for the price.
Ibanez Valbee – Don’t know much about it or even the price but it can supposedly handle high gain for a 5-watt tube amp. Once again, if you really need high gain, 5-watt tube amps are not for you.
Blackstar HT-5 Never tried it myself, a new UG favorite because it can get a good metal tone despite being a small, cheap tube amp. Good cleans too from what I've heard. Someone here must have used one of these, let me know if you've got a review for it.
Also notable: Many of these 5-watt tube amps are very "barebones" with only a few knobs. What this means is that they take pedals well. With the right pedals you could get a wider variety of tones from small, low-featured tube amps.

Here is a chart containing a bunch of tube amps showing which amps excel in which areas:

10-20 WATT AMP REVIEWS ON PAGE 2!
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
Last edited by Robino_Ibanez at Jul 10, 2009,
Robino_Ibanez
fails at epic NPD's.
679 IQ
Thanks, thought UG needed this. Any feedback and stuff is welcome.
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
scott58
349 IQ
You had me until your last line. I'm of the opinion that 5 watt tube amps can do metal with the right pedals. I wouldn't trade my POD/Vj for any other practice amp.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
Skreddy Lunar Module
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod XT live
imgooley
PLAY IT ****ING LOUD
4,866 IQ
This statement bothers me

Crate V5 – Pretty much the cheapest way to get your hands on a tube amp at $99. I tried it and it’s not bad, does sound musical and tubey but honestly I’d go for a good cheap solid state amp over this at the price (cube, vypyr, valvetronix anyone?).

Because you can say that about ALL OF THE AMPS YOU LISTED.

It's a class A all tube amp, and it sounds like one, and unlike the VJ, it has a tone control. The Palominos have a MV control.

It WAS more expensive than the VJ. In fact, the V8 Palomino still is, if you can find one. Don't let price be the determining factor in quality.

Need reviews for: Electar Tube 10, Epiphone Valve Standard, Fender Pro Junior, Crate V18, etc.
mmjohn
Call me John
1,604 IQ
Quote by scott58
You had me until your last line. I'm of the opinion that 5 watt tube amps can do metal with the right pedals. I wouldn't trade my POD/Vj for any other practice amp.

i agree.............the vj is just a small tube amp with very little personality till you hook up a couple pedals. you have to have an EQ and a reverb pedal just to make it equal to most of the amps listed. the VJ tone guitar to amp is very bland........it does not shine till you hit it with pedals. mine is pretty modded and i play thru a celestion g12k. i use a ehx reverb and an eq pedal and a metal muff it does metal DAMN good!!!! as well as classic rock and blues with a bad monkey. you just have to put the right pieces together. don't expect to go buy a VJ head and cab put a ts-9 in front of it and expect metallica tone you will be disappointed. it's a cheap amp because it has nothing but a volume knob. it's up to you to find the sound you want and your gonna have to spend couple bucks on pedals. but mods and tube swaps are cheap and easy to do and really make a difference in tone. and when you do the reward is TUBE warmth your never gonna find in a SS amp.
beckyjc
Replace the fuse mann.
1,306 IQ
Champ 600 RI. Im pretty sure the Gretsch is the same amp too.
Not a fan at all. Sounded thin and tinny, deffinately not what i expected, but maybe im just not a fan of the "tweed-ish" fender clean tone, sounded just like i was plugged straight into the speaker, i was expecting alot more colour in the sound, sounded quite responsive though to dynamics, a clean boost or overdrive would fatten it up. I was quite shocked at how quiet this was for a 5 watter amp, probably down to the 6" speaker, but the volume was at 9/12, and it was basically bedroom levels (Or my idea of bedroom levels). I didnt really try to get overdrive out of the amp, after about 10 minutes of playing with it i left the shop dissapointed, the guy even warned me before i tried it id be dissapointed, i'd take the VJ any day.
mmjohn
Call me John
1,604 IQ
another point that should consider the aftermarket Mod kits out there for these amps. all these have kits to take them from low gain to high gain, marshall mods, bitmo mods, mercury............i mean part of the fun of the 5 watters is how easy the average guy can mod thier amps. thats what i love about my VJ and i did it all myself.
stevo_epi_SG_wo
i picked a crap username
1,274 IQ
orange TT/TT combo and AD5 pl0x =]

although theyre nor cheap at all
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
injected
2,869 IQ
You mean <20 watts, and <$600.

Not the other way around lol
Blompcube
Registered User Error
4,278 IQ
Neat thread.

For anyone who wants a nice gigging amp i'd recommend the Rocktronic Tube 30. Mine cost me £150 and it has an amazing tone when cranked up. I wouldn't recommend it for much else as the overdrive is very sterile and raspy sounding at lower volumes.
Rig: (under construction)
1979 Yamaha SG1000
Fender Jazzmaster
1964 Vox AC30TB
A/B/Tuner box
A -> DIY fuzz, tremolo and boost -> normal channel
B -> compressor, chorus and delay -> brilliant channel
Boss TU-3/Talkbox
Simsimius
Peace. Love. Solidarity.
1,910 IQ
You should have reserved the first two or three replies.
You might run of room.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
mmjohn
Call me John
1,604 IQ
Quote by PaoloJM
With a little tweaking I think you can get a pretty good metal tone from a 5 Watt tubey, and that's without pedals. Have a listen

Sweet!!
scott58
349 IQ
here's one I hadn't seen yet. Another example of Vj. If you really want to know what a Vj can do just sit at youtube for 30 minutes or so and enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ab0pBorhib0&feature=related
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
Skreddy Lunar Module
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod XT live
Robino_Ibanez
fails at epic NPD's.
679 IQ
Hey guys I was out all day so didn't get the chance to read these. Will edit the first post soon with the new reviews. Let me clarify that I'm not of the view that you can't get a metal tone out of a 5 watt tube amp. I am saying that there are generally better options for metal than them. I want to steer any metal players away from getting a tube amp simply because it is a tube amp. They should get the best amp for them, be it tube, ss, or hybrid.
ShredGod George
636 IQ
oranges AD5 & TT pleeeaaasee
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
mmjohn
Call me John
1,604 IQ
Quote by Robino_Ibanez
Hey guys I was out all day so didn't get the chance to read these. Will edit the first post soon with the new reviews. Let me clarify that I'm not of the view that you can't get a metal tone out of a 5 watt tube amp. I am saying that there are generally better options for metal than them. I want to steer any metal players away from getting a tube amp simply because it is a tube amp. They should get the best amp for them, be it tube, ss, or hybrid.

metal is a pretty broad scope. if you can't get judas priest on a 5 watter with an od pedal you have a problem that's not gear related.
Last edited by mmjohn at Oct 27, 2008,
Robino_Ibanez
fails at epic NPD's.
679 IQ
Amps 10-20 watts – Though still considered small amps and hopefully still crankable at home, tube amps of this size should have enough power for small gigs. Reviews needed for: Tiny Terror, Egnater Rebel 20, Vox AC15, Valve Senior, Laney Cub 10, 15 watt Marshall Haze head, any others.

Blackheart Handsome Devil head with Blackheart 1x12 cab - thanks OldRocker for the review

First of all, the Chinese tubes that the BHHD came with sucks cannon balls. Some liked them, I don't. I replaced them with Mullard RIs and it's a big improvement. It has a mixture of British and American tone which is pretty damn sweet. It has a mellow clean but not crispy clean. It has a pre and volume knobs along with 3 knob EQ and a Presence knob so tone shaping is good. Takes pedals very nicely and I always use MFX pedals on it. It's 15 watts switchable to 7 watts so you can play it loud or soft. It's my fav amp.

Fender Pro Junior – thanks to mcrfobtai for this one
Price: 379 USD
Wattage: 15
For 15w this isn’t that loud but it sounds fantastic. It only has a volume and tone knob but the simple circuit makes it that much better. Toss an od and an eq in front and you are set. It has a pair of EL84’s and a pair of 12AX7’s. All tube obviously. New they are 380 but used they are a great deal and perfect for tone purists. Absolutly fantastic sound. Warm, bright, chimey, very fenderish cleans. Everything you expect from a fender tube amp. When I put my bad monkey in front, I get rich overdriven sounds from light blues to some harder rock. For a 2 knob amp, it is surprisingly versatile. It has those weird fender pots so it gets loud fast until you reach about 3 or 4 and then doesn’t get too much louder after that. It isn’t that loud for a tube amp but when you crank it, wonderful things happen. It doesn’t break up that much on its own which is good for jams and gigs. The 10” speaker gives it a little more high end that really suits the tone. All in all a great sounding amp. There is only a volume and tone knob but it is all it needs. Pretty good range of sounds though it really benefits from an eq pedal. Can do anything that requires cleans and does it well. Blues, ska, jazz, whatever. Crank it up and you get some great gritty blues sounds. With an od in front, you can do classic rock all the way up to some old school hard rock. The volume knob is a bit annoying and it obviously lacks versatility but with todays, technology, that’s ok! It can’t do high gain AT ALL. Really it is like those 5w valve amps only louder. But still amazing sounding. If you’re a guy/gal who like clean tones and some blues, this is a great amp, it just needs a little help to do more.

My personal opinion on the Pro Junior:
Great little amp. Suprising amount of rich, clean headroom. Good crunch, could easily do some rock and MAYBE harder rock on it's own and would tighten up with an OD. The one drawback is it lacks versatility and higher-gain options.

Blues Junior – 479, or 549 for the NOS version. Similar in tone to the Pro Junior and also 15 watts, a little more adjustable. Would still probably benefit from an od and eq especially if you want to play any harder rock.
Quote by VisionaryTics
You should add that the Blues Junior has 3-band EQ, a "fat" channel (a little extra bit of drive, kind of crappy, IMO), a gain knob in addition to the master, as well as a pretty sweet sounding spring reverb.

Also a good platform for modding.
Crate V18 112 – Let me start by saying that for $149 this is a superb value. There are very few tube amps of giggable size at this price. The V18 is a decent amp. Seems very loud for the wattage which may be nice for gigs but screws you for cranking it at home. It also doesn’t have a tube preamp so high-gain is harder to achieve without turning it up. 18 watts is small but still a lot for home practice. Decent cleans and pretty good overdrive, but excellent value. If your goal is to get an amp that you can turn up to full to get power-tube saturation at home, this probably isn’t it. Nice amp nevertheless.
Crate V18 212 – Not recommended, heavier, more expensive, and not as easy for speaker swaps as the 112. Still an ok amp but go for the 112 instead. $199.
Fender Super Champ – As far as I know this is like the Vibro Champ but bigger (15w). Wouldn’t be a bad buy if you needed some versatility at home and also a little more power for gigs. But it still seems like more of a practice or recording amp to me. $329.99.
Traynor YCV-20 – This comes in two versions, the discontinued but not uncommon YCV-20 and the newer YCV-20WR in Wine Red with a Greenback speaker instead of a Rocket 50. The WR is 699 and the 20 is 599. They seem to be less than that in stores though (more like 500ish?). Confusingly these are 15-watt amps despite the “20” in the name. I own the regular version. Awesome amp, IMO the best British-voiced for the price. Many say the cleans are the best part about this amp. Shimmery if you put some reverb on, twangy or bluesy if you want to hit the brightness switch. The lead channel isn’t half bad either. Overdrive with nice “bite” to it, and a boost switch for solos. Can do a much better metal tone than most 15-watters if cranked up. Has something of a sweet spot for rock drive if cranked to 8ish, more than that and the speaker sometimes acts a little strangely. Not super-loud for 15 watts which is okay cause you can turn it up. Works well with my OD but can be a little heavy on the mids. My only real complaint is that it gets a bit noisy – a noise reduction pedal is next on my list, and I bet an EQ would go well with this amp too. More giggable than other alternatives because it has two footswitchable channels and a boost switch. Though I’m biased towards my own amp, this would still be a great choice for the player who wants versatility and tone.
Epiphone Valve Standard – Decent tone on this one, quite warm/fat, not for super-high gain though might manage it with an OD. The effects were nothing special honestly. Seems like a good deal for a rock/blues amp for 299.95 though.
Vox Night Train – This is a nice amp. Above-average cleans, really nice crunch. Enough gain for some harder stuff but definitely not metal. Switchable from 15 to 7 watts which is a really nice feature. Tone definitely improves when turned up; lots more sustain. A solid choice for cleans, blues, rock, and hard rock.
Last edited by Robino_Ibanez at Dec 26, 2009,
hendriko
Purple is a Fruit
1,526 IQ
i do not agree with the champion 600 review - i might be biased cuz i own one, but still...

It IS a good amp, you just have to take some factors (which are typical for tweed (style) fender amps) into account. For one: the speaker. It sure does take some time for it to break in - I admit, it sounds a bit harsh when you get it out of the box - but after that is completed, it is a great sounding amp. What might be the case with the one becky tried is that its one of the "black sheep" Fender is known to have created in case of the champ, meaning that there is a few bad ones and a few that really shine - once you get to try one of these, you're hooked - IF, and this is very very personal, you like the tweed charme. These amps DO NOT get any gain to "carry you away", they do not allow you to play sustain driven hi-gain lead passages, they just have "that" crunch, which you like, or in many known cases, don't. Oh, and as for tubes: for all owners (if you're trying the champ in a shop this might be hard to do): swap the 12ax7 in the preamp for a lower gain tube - i get great results out of a NOS GE 5751 - which takes it another step towards the sound which most of us refer to as the old tweed sound (remember, the old models didn't have 12ax7's in em, they had much lower gain alternatives built in). What I found very nice is that the notes come out kinda "round" after swapping the tube...very nice indeed! Very important as well is having the cabinet of the amp properly set up, meaning having every screw tightened the way it should be - very important for the front baffle, half a turn looser and it buzzes when you get it into overdrive.
All in all, after having made a couple adjustments, I love the champ. Great for bluesy lead stuff (LP, neck pickup, hi input for some thicker gain), dry crunchy rhythm stuff and everything in between. Oh and, it helps using this amp with humbuckers, especially if youre after overdriven tones - with a burns strat "copy" I wasn't able to get any OD at all

Well, hope that helped (a bit)...

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
ShredGod George
636 IQ
Krank Rev. jr for high gain category please?
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
Robino_Ibanez
fails at epic NPD's.
679 IQ
ok anyone got a review for krank rev jr?
Shinozoku
UG Nerd
1,227 IQ
^Nothing can play good sounding metal with anything that has "metal" in the name

Also, don't forget to add the RM 20 in an "all" category, as the different modules can cover any musical range. Sadly, I've never played one, only the RM100 head and RM50 combo. I hear they're fantastic though!

It and the Rev Jr. aren't necessarily cheap, but they're good I've got a friend who may soon provide a review on the Krank.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Last edited by Shinozoku at Feb 2, 2009,
CodySG
Boomshakalaka King
758 IQ
What do you want to know about the Rev. Jr?

I don't really have a lot of time right now to write a good, full blown, review, but I'll be glad to answer questions.

I'll try and have somewhat of a good review up by the end of the week though!
All Hail! The Kala-Kala Chieftain!
Robino_Ibanez
fails at epic NPD's.
679 IQ
Quote by CodySG
What do you want to know about the Rev. Jr?

I don't really have a lot of time right now to write a good, full blown, review, but I'll be glad to answer questions.

I'll try and have somewhat of a good review up by the end of the week though!

Tone for all applications eg. does it have passable cleans? how is it for metal compared to more expensive and larger amps?
Just general information that would be useful if YOU were looking for a new amp.
Price you can usually get it for.
VisionaryTics
Young Squier
109 IQ
You should add that the Blues Junior has 3-band EQ, a "fat" channel (a little extra bit of drive, kind of crappy, IMO), a gain knob in addition to the master, as well as a pretty sweet sounding spring reverb.
Fighting the good fight since 'ought-diggity.

My Gear

"When you think of it, a really good effect should not mean that your search is over; it should mean that your journey is just getting started."
Kevin Saale
Talks to empty chairs
1,339 IQ
Quote by VisionaryTics

Also, it's very easy to mod, has absolutely amazing cleans for the wattage and price. A used BJr plus a strat is pretty much the cheapest way to an SRV tone.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Kevin Saale
Talks to empty chairs
1,339 IQ
Don't count on it, there are already six stickies, this thread should be put in the gear pages thread though.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Jaksar
120 IQ
Definately need the Blackstar HT5 added. Fan-freakin-tastic little amp!
Robino_Ibanez
fails at epic NPD's.
679 IQ
Quote by Jaksar

I haven't played it myself. If you have, even a short review would be useful.
Jackolas
Banned
225 IQ
Quote by Jaksar

You read my mind. 90% sure the mini-stack is my next purchase.

It'll take people a while to realise it's so cool - people don't like the fact it wipes the floor with most other amps in the price range (yet) or ones they own (tiny terror anyone?).

Hopefully once it's settled into the market in the states people will realise.
The Picker
45 IQ
I agree that the Champ 600 is pretty "small"/"thin" sounding on its own. However, I have been able to somewhat remedy this by running my Pod in front of it with a little bit of delay and reverb, plus some EQing (on the Pod, since the amp doesn't have an EQ). Looking back, I probably wouldn't have gotten this amp (since I could have got a Crate Palomino 32 for only $50 more ), but it's not totally terrible. It's just that I could have spent my money elsewhere and probably gotten a better value.

EDIT: It does have pretty good clean headroom though.
Saint Louis Blues
Last edited by The Picker at Feb 8, 2009,
Robino_Ibanez
fails at epic NPD's.
679 IQ
Quote by The Picker
I agree that the Champ 600 is pretty "small"/"thin" sounding on its own. However, I have been able to somewhat remedy this by running my Pod in front of it with a little bit of delay and reverb, plus some EQing (on the Pod, since the amp doesn't have an EQ). Looking back, I probably wouldn't have gotten this amp (since I could have got a Crate Palomino 32 for only $50 more ), but it's not totally terrible. It's just that I could have spent my money elsewhere and probably gotten a better value.

EDIT: It does have pretty good clean headroom though.

It's certainly not a bad amp just not as good as some. Try it through a 412 cabinet? apparently this turns it into awesome win