How would the Gibson SG be for playing Maiden-style metal (mainly) and other genres: post-rock (Sigur) Radiohead, etc?

I'd be playing it through a line 6 Spider 150W, if that helps.

Cheers

Any other suggestions for a different guitar welcome: my budget is probably £800.
I was playing a $1200 Gibson SG (that my friend let me borrow) and I think it sounds great for any type of rock/metal.
Quote by gretschmatt
How would the Gibson SG be for playing Maiden-style metal (mainly) and other genres: post-rock (Sigur) Radiohead, etc?

Cheers

Any other suggestions for a different guitar welcome: my budget is probably £800.

Oooooh shit.
Well, anyway, I don't think they're too bad. Would prefer a Marshall though. Maybe I'll "graduate" to a Marshall next time.

How about a Firebird, Explorer or Fender Strat for the same type of music?
Sorry for the "bump" (if that is indeed what it is) but regarding line6 spiders-

I managed to pick up a used Fender Deluxe Reverb. I played my guitar through this. I sold my line6 almost immediately.

I never realised how much nicer tube amps sound. I went back to my line6: although it was OK,and had kickass effects, there was no comparison.
That's always the way. I used to think my Fender Bullet 150 (15w solid state amp with some digital effects) sounded great and I didn't think a tube amp could be that much better, but play any tube amp for a bit and go back to that solid state... urgh...
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Good solid states are good.

I have an old fender transistor amp and its a beauty.

SG's are excellent. Very versatile and cut through extremely well.
Awesome choice on the amp!

For metalish sounds now, you'll need an OD or a distortion pedal, or both! Just experiment and you'll be set. Congrats!... and yeah, SG is a fine instrument.
Quote by Eddie4President
Either you remind her of a girl, or she's not a lesbian.

Quote by blake1221
Jabba's real name is Katie.
The 3rd guitarist in iron maiden uses an SG. He did back in '07 anyway, not too sure these days..
Quote by gretschmatt

Cheers

Sigur Ros and radiohead are some of my favorite bands, I use an SG special, it handles both types of music very well. I'm not so sure it would handle iron maiden as well but I'm sure the standard will serve you as a very versatile guitar
Quote by gretschmatt
Well, anyway, I don't think they're too bad. Would prefer a Marshall though. Maybe I'll "graduate" to a Marshall next time.

How about a Firebird, Explorer or Fender Strat for the same type of music?

Maiden uses Strats, and strats would definitely be able to pull off radiohead.

Firebirds always remind me of southern california, dont know why (or probably because of skynyrd, which might nog even be from socal, but w/e) but explorers are great. The SG sound and Explorer sound are vastly different though, as are - derr - the way they look, play and hold. I couldn't imagine myself with an SG I'd look like a wanker, the explorer suits me better. The other way around with Angus Young.

If you're choosing between a Strat and an SG it comes down to what kind of person you are and what you like. better hurry to that local guitar store! ^^
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
The White Strat w/Dimebucker
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Ebony
Fender Telecaster Apple Red
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
^ ...and be sure to post pics! =D
Quote by Eddie4President
Either you remind her of a girl, or she's not a lesbian.

Quote by blake1221
Jabba's real name is Katie.
SG are great guitars for just about every type of music, the pick ups will probably be the big factor. If you can find a Tony Iommi Gibson SG used or an Epi Tony Iommi they are just amazing. The pups they put in those are the best IMHO Gibson pups I ever heard. If they were not so hard to find and expensive I would use them in most my guitars.

As far as amps go you need to try them out. I have a Line 6 Spyder II HD 150 and a 4x10 PRO cab. The amp performs very well on stage. You just have to take the time to learn the amp and the settings. I get amazing tone and sound out of mine. If you get a Marshall stay away from the MGs they s*ck I had an MG100 full stack before the Line 6 and it doesn't hold a candle to the Line 6. If your going to go with Marshall go tube they make one of the best tube amps available. IMHO

John
Quote by johnro6659
SG are great guitars for just about every type of music, the pick ups will probably be the big factor. If you can find a Tony Iommi Gibson SG used or an Epi Tony Iommi they are just amazing. The pups they put in those are the best IMHO Gibson pups I ever heard. If they were not so hard to find and expensive I would use them in most my guitars.

As far as amps go you need to try them out. I have a Line 6 Spyder II HD 150 and a 4x10 PRO cab. The amp performs very well on stage. You just have to take the time to learn the amp and the settings. I get amazing tone and sound out of mine. If you get a Marshall stay away from the MGs they s*ck I had an MG100 full stack before the Line 6 and it doesn't hold a candle to the Line 6. If your going to go with Marshall go tube they make one of the best tube amps available. IMHO

John

lol you almost made it sound as if you preferred line6 over marshall
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
I enjoy any amp. I even enjoy how MG's sound like pissed off wasps. Line 6's are great, people over blow it. It's all about makin' that EQ your bitch.
Quote by bornfidelity
lol you almost made it sound as if you preferred line6 over marshall

I do prefer Line 6 over Marshall SS amps, the MGs IMHO are worthless but it's hard to beat a good Vintage Marshall tube amp. I used to have a Vinatge Marshall full stack and it was the balls. Of course I had to use an assortment of pedals for effects and better distortion. I loved running my Big Muff PI thru that amp! I wouldn't have it anyother way. I have to say I am not pleased with newer MarshallsI believe if your going to go with a Marshall tube amp get a vintage one for some reason they have a sound new ones just can't seem to get. I have a vintage Lafayett (Univox) 2x12 combo tube amp I rarely use because I do prefer the Line 6 over that.

John
Quote by johnro6659
I do prefer Line 6 over Marshall SS amps, the MGs IMHO are worthless but it's hard to beat a good Vintage Marshall tube amp.

or most other tube amps?
but... so... you've had a marshall tube stack, and still you think the line6 is good? Did you ever crank both up? I mean. huh

I also don't get why so many people use distortion/overdrive pedals for their standard sound. means you just bought the wrong amp for your needs donnit?
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
Quote by bornfidelity
I also don't get why so many people use distortion/overdrive pedals for their standard sound. means you just bought the wrong amp for your needs donnit?

I use distortion/overdrive as boosts into tube amp overdrive channels on lower gain settings for my standard distorted sound, with a clean boost at the end of a chain to boost that for solos. does that mean i have the right amp for my needs, or just that any tube amp with a reasonable overdriven tone suits my needs?

but there's not much point in getting a new guitar when you have a low end modelling amp. you won't hear much of a difference in how it sounds, even if it is a gibson, and it certainly won't be a tonal improvement. the spider is the least transparent amp ever, it will only really let the differences between the response of different pickup types (as in single coil/humbucker) to show through. just my opinion, though.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Yeah, I had a really good vintage 70s Marshall JMP Super Lead MKII 100 Watt tube head and full stack to match, I wish I still had it but yes I do like my Line 6. I crank my Line 6 up all the time sometimes to the point the neighbors two to three doors down hear me and that's with the windows closed, in the summer they can hear me a 1/4 mile away with the windows open. It makes the dishes in the kitchen rattle and some stuff vibrates off shelves! I think Line 6 makes decent SS amps and I would choose it over a lot of tube amps I have tried and all the other SS amps I tried. I played with several local bands back in the mid 70s to early 80s and used the vintage Marshall and it was great but I used the Big Muff PI with it because I never thought it had enough distortion and I playing my main Gibson LP with Dimarzio SD pups thru it. My Line 6 I have no need for a distortion pedal because it gives me awesome distortion without a pedal. I have used it on stage several times now and it performs great I have no complaints at all. Everyone else that heard me play thru it asked me if I modified the ampo because they hear such bad things about and whenI tell them it's stock they realize it's not a bad amp at all.

I see people recomending Roland amps all the time and I think they s*ck big time they sound even worse than all the Marshall MG series amps I have tried.

Truthfully I think most people that pan Line 6 amp either never tried one or didn't take the time to learn the amp and it'settings. One rule i learned with Line 6 is just stay away from the presets set it all up yourself you would be amzed what you actually can get from a Line 6 if you take the time to make the effort. I have the dough to change amps anytime I want but this amp suits my purposes very well. Sure if I have the chance to buy a Vintage Marshall at a resonable price I'll go for it but there is no way I'll spend several thousand on an amp if i can be happy with what I have.

Just to keep on topic SGs sound great when playing metal on them.

John
Quote by Blompcube
I use distortion/overdrive as boosts into tube amp overdrive channels on lower gain settings for my standard distorted sound, with a clean boost at the end of a chain to boost that for solos. does that mean i have the right amp for my needs, or just that any tube amp with a reasonable overdriven tone suits my needs?

Well I can see why you'd use it as a boost pedal (although the ENGL has a boost pedal inside of the amp so.) but many guitar players I know get most of their distortion sound out of a stomp box. and then they have a second stomp box as a boost. Know what I mean? where's the sense in that?
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
Gibson SGs are pretty great. Adrian Smith (guitarist from maiden if you didn't already know) pretty much used one exclusively from Piece of Mind to Powerslave if you needed to know that. The only reason I don't like the SG is because the neck dives (and I it makes me look like a tool ) I'm more of a Les Paul guy myself.
I highly recommend that you get a nice tube amp first, but if you don't want to the SGs are pretty great. You get what you pay for unlike les pauls, which are also great but usually cost about $1000.00 more than what they are worth. The SG is good, but your really not gonna be able to tell how great it really is playing on a spider(unless its a spider valve maybe).

Edit: oops, didnt read the whole thread first, sorry. Since you got a good amp now, go for the SG!! You will need some pedals though to get a good distortion/overdrive. I cant tell you which ones, im not sure, i do know that fender amps are mainly used for playing clean though.
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Last edited by David_Bowie=GOD at Dec 18, 2008,