Page 1 of 2
In the market for a new guitar, I wanted something near $600, that isn't too genre specific, that is a quality instrument that will last me. A lot of fingers have been pointing at Ibanez, but when I bring the brand up, half of the people say it is crappy, flawed, expensive, and overrated, and the other half shower it with compliments. Is there anyone without a bias that wants to give me a decent general picture? I know every single model isn't going to be the same, but still.
It's good if you play metal, but once you back off the distortion you realise how thin they sound. They don't look particularly nice and their necks are horrible too.
Well i have 2, an RG one which i really dont like, its a nice guitar, just not my sort of thing, and I have one similar to the George Benson one, which i think is lovely, the best to do is to try it out before you buy it.
For $600, an Ibanez will have either: Mahogany or Basswood body (both good) with an Edge III (bad) or a ZR (good) trem. They usually have INF pickups (meh). They have 24 frets (good) on a rosewood fretboard (usually) (good). There are usually nice inlays (not bad). Occasionally, a model or two will have better pickups like Dimarzios (Good). The neck joint is either an AANJ type bolt on (good) or neck thru (good). Overall, they're average.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Have you considered a PRS?
I had an Ibanez over 10 years ago and I can't say that I liked it much...
although, guitars are like women... even two from the same family can be completely different animals.
In UG, if you ask an opinion of a guitar, some will tell you it rocks, others will say it sucks, others will ask you to get an ibanez or a jackson.

Honestly, ibanez makes good guitars, except for those with the crappy edge 3s that gives hell lots of problems. Another reason why UGers like ibanez/jackson is due to the fact many of them are into metal. If you'll ask me, i'll tell you to go to the shop and try those guitars yourself, to see ehat you like. Not everyone has the same taste. If you ask me bout my recommendation, since you want a guitar that is not too genre specific, may i recommend you try a Fender / G&L Stratocaster. You can mainly play a range of genre's with them. Otherwise, an S series ibanez model will do pretty well too. You might want to look at Les Paul copies such as epiphone as well, some guys tell me they are more flexible than stratocasters, but thats not the case to me. I feel Les Pauls do better in blues/heavy rock. Of course, there are many other great guitar brands out there, so head down to your local guitar shop now and pick up a few guitars and try 'em out!
Gear:
95' Fender Richie Sambora Standard Stratocaster
06' Symphony SD54
07' Epiphone Les Paul Custom Plus
08' Recording King RD-17CFE
Fender G-DEC30
Line 6 POD XT
Blackstar Series One 45 Combo
10' Ernie Ball MusicMan JP6 BFR
I love my Lawsuit Les Paul. It is seriously the best guitar I have ever played and will NEVER sell it. The LP just plays like a dream.

My S470 is pretty awesome too. I love the ZR trem. I think it kills an OFR and every other system. The pickups suck, but I changed them out anyways.

I have an RG and I didn't care for it too much.

it basically all depends on the cut of wood you get. Some Ibanezes will be nice while, others will be crap.

I think Ibanez is good for all styles. I play mostly alternative/hard rock, but I also play everything from country to blues to metal. My Ibanez guitars have never let me down for any style I want to play.
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Last edited by JLT73 at Oct 26, 2008,
Quote by Horlicks
It's good if you play metal, but once you back off the distortion you realise how thin they sound. They don't look particularly nice and their necks are horrible too.

that's exactly what he doesn't want to know I guess. other people really like there necks and the looks of them
A hero of war, Yeah that's what I'll be

(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)
Quote by Vikingx
Have you considered a PRS?
I had an Ibanez over 10 years ago and I can't say that I liked it much...
although, guitars are like women... even two from the same family can be completely different animals.

doesn't PRS usually run pretty pricey for what i'm looking at?
Quote by Horlicks

Thats ALL opinionated.

TC, go out and try some, dont listen to ibanez haters or ibanez fanboys
Ibanez Jem 777BK, Carvin DC727, Fender MIM Strat
Mesa Boogie DC5
Xotic BB Preamp, Ts9, BBE GS, Boss DD-6
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Ask me any questions about my gear!
Quote by k_koosh
doesn't PRS usually run pretty pricey for what i'm looking at?

Look at the SE (Student Edition) models, they're cheaper, but not made in america.
Gear:
95' Fender Richie Sambora Standard Stratocaster
06' Symphony SD54
07' Epiphone Les Paul Custom Plus
08' Recording King RD-17CFE
Fender G-DEC30
Line 6 POD XT
Blackstar Series One 45 Combo
10' Ernie Ball MusicMan JP6 BFR
Quote by Teh GIR
Thats ALL opinionated.

TC, go out and try some, dont listen to ibanez haters or ibanez fanboys

Eh, some people like me to want him to buy an awful guitar.
Also, look at the thread title. HONEST OPINIONS, of course it's going to be opinionated.
Quote by Horlicks
Eh, some people like me to want him to buy an awful guitar.

Well ill tell you that every single Washburn ive played was horrible
Mesa Boogie DC5
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Quote by Teh GIR
Well ill tell you that every single Washburn ive played was horrible

1. I'm interested to know what Washburns you played.
2. It's a £300 guitar.
3. JEM777 is £2000 and still shit.
Ok

with ibanez it's just you like m or you don't
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
Most people preff Ibanez guitars for their light weight and thin necks, with that said the pickups usually aren't amazing and the Edge III (while I'm in love with mine) are made out of the cheapest metal known to man.
Quote by Demonazzz
I prefer barbed wire strings. I find I can get the most br00t41 tonez with it.
There great guitars, especally the Prestige and anything over 800$. There 4-800 dollar range guitars are really nice as well. There low end stuff is garbage. The thin neck is loved by most, hated by some, and there really only made for shredding. If people ask "What Guitar should I get for 500$ cause i like metal", the choices will be Ibanez, ESP, Jackson, Schecter, or a Dean Hardtail. All are great instruments, and it's basically you sitting down seeing which feels better.
Quote by Horlicks
2. It's a £300 guitar.
3. JEM77 is £2000 and still shit.

Haha, my local store is Fender/Washburn/ and Ibanez dealer

I have played a 400 dollar acoustic, a 500 dollar classical, a bunch of the X series 300-600, and the really expensive Dan Donegan signature.

In my opinion, they were were nothing special, and obviously in your opinion all ibanez's suck.

Also i love my Jem 777BK, its one of the best guitars ive ever played, the neck is hand finished, and it so smooth and comfortable. Have you ever played a jem? The necks are thicker than RG necks

Also, they are obviously only good for metal, i mean look at Pat Metheny, John Scofield, Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, and George Benson.
Mesa Boogie DC5
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Last edited by Teh GIR at Oct 26, 2008,
Quote by Teh GIR

Also i love my Jem 777BK, its one of the best guitars ive ever played, the neck is hand finished, and it so smooth and comfortable. Have you ever played a jem? The necks are thicker than RG necks

Yes:

They are awful, and I play shred.
Quote by GuitarGuy X
In UG, if you ask an opinion of a guitar, some will tell you it rocks, others will say it sucks, others will ask you to get an ibanez or a jackson.

Honestly, ibanez makes good guitars, except for those with the crappy edge 3s that gives hell lots of problems. Another reason why UGers like ibanez/jackson is due to the fact many of them are into metal. If you'll ask me, i'll tell you to go to the shop and try those guitars yourself, to see ehat you like. Not everyone has the same taste. If you ask me bout my recommendation, since you want a guitar that is not too genre specific, may i recommend you try a Fender / G&L Stratocaster. You can mainly play a range of genre's with them. Otherwise, an S series ibanez model will do pretty well too. You might want to look at Les Paul copies such as epiphone as well, some guys tell me they are more flexible than stratocasters, but thats not the case to me. I feel Les Pauls do better in blues/heavy rock. Of course, there are many other great guitar brands out there, so head down to your local guitar shop now and pick up a few guitars and try 'em out!

/thread

Best advice you got here today.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by Horlicks
Yes:

They are awful, and I play shred.

Care to elaborate?

The washburns i played just reeked of "Factory", Cheap feeling, and the tone was just so flat and not musical. And it wasnt the amp i was playing through.
Mesa Boogie DC5
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Quote by Teh GIR
Care to elaborate?

The washburns i played just reeked of "Factory", Cheap feeling, and the tone was just so flat and not musical. And it wasnt the amp i was playing through.

I think Ibanez is the most 'factory' feeling guitar out there. All of my friends who don't play metal at college agree, my guitar teacher agrees, my local guitar shop owner agrees (He was the guy who was selling the JEM7V).

I've played many other guitars for the same price that have much 'better' tone and feel.
Quote by Horlicks
I think Ibanez is the most 'factory' feeling guitar out there. All of my friends who don't play metal at college agree, my guitar teacher agrees, my local guitar shop owner agrees (He was the guy who was selling the JEM7V).

I've played many other guitars for the same price that have much 'better' tone and feel.

Okay i guess ill listen to your friends in college /sarcasm

We all have our opinions, i dont need to play a washburn and you dont to play an ibanez
Mesa Boogie DC5
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Maybe an S series?
The ZR trem on them is brilliant
the body shape is lovely
24 frets on a nice fast neck
they also come in HSH as well so you get a good variety of tones.
Gear n Shizz:

Washburn X50 Pro
Epiphone Korina Explorer
Line 6 Flextone III 75w
It all depends on your playing style and music you like to play. I play mainly classic rock and prog rock on my ibanez sz720 and its awesome. The stonk PU'S aren't great and I plan on replacing them but the quality is above some strats and epi les pauls. But once again its up to you. My advice would be to go to your local guitar center for 3 hours on a saturday and play everything in your price range, thats what I did and I ended up with an ibanez. Plus it was on sale because they discontinued the model.
If you play a guitar and like it, it is a good guitar. If not, then it is not.
ಠ_ಠ
I was searching for nice rock-guitar for under 500€ (~650$) and I found used Ibanez Sz 320. It cost only 400€ and previous owner had installed Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz-set to replace crappy stock-pickups. It's just awesome guitar. It sounds a lot like Les Paul because it has a thick mahogany body and humbuckers, but playability is much better. It also looks a lot better IMO Neck-joint is shaped like it would be neck-through, although neck is really glued to body. Because of the neck-joint shape even the upper frets are very easily accessible.

Only bad thing that I have noticed is that chrome-coating in bridge has worn off because of my sweaty hand, and bridge looks now quite rusty.. But its just naturally worn, it actually look quite cool

Edit: Now I just got excited and talked only about my own guitar.. I would say that generally Ibanez is best choice in 600$ price range. Of course there are many other good brands it that same price range, but with Ibanez you just cant go wrong
Last edited by Dirty Hero at Oct 26, 2008,
Quote by Horlicks
2. It's a £300 guitar.

shut the **** up
just because you don't like ibanez doesn't mean you have to come into a thread and say they are shit, lots of people like them very much.

TS, just try some. It's clear that you're not going to get any decent specific advice here.
Quote by Horlicks

False.
I play a LOT of cleans and low-gain (I play metal as well, but these sounds sound wonderful), and my Ibanez sounds fantastic for those sounds.
My Ibby looks great, better then the mahogany strats that Fender themselves produce (which are ugly), so if you want a mahogany strat, there's really only one contender.

And neck are a preference, my neck is perfect. Better then any neck I've played (although, a MIA standard strat neck is just as good, even if they are different sizes).

The RG series however, seems suited to metal - and is best described as above in your post, but the S, SA, SZ, Artcore, and every other series is amazing for whatever you play.

IMO, don't worry about brand, but each individual guitar you've tried, and buy based on how it sounds and feels, and looks.

TS asked for an unbiased opinion - your post didn't help.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Quote by Teh GIR
Okay i guess ill listen to your friends in college /sarcasm

We all have our opinions, i dont need to play a washburn and you dont to play an ibanez

I own both a Washburn and an Ibanez and I personally love both of them. The only thing that puts my washburn above my RG is the fact that I've got an RG with an Edge III which really annoys the living **** out of me.

TS, just try em out and avoid the Edge III and you should be fine.
Gear n Shizz:

Washburn X50 Pro
Epiphone Korina Explorer
Line 6 Flextone III 75w
Quote by Simsimius
False.
I play a LOT of cleans and low-gain (I play metal as well, but these sounds sound wonderful), and my Ibanez sounds fantastic for those sounds.
My Ibby looks great, better then the mahogany strats that Fender themselves produce (which are ugly), so if you want a mahogany strat, there's really only one contender.

And neck are a preference, my neck is perfect. Better then any neck I've played (although, a MIA standard strat neck is just as good, even if they are different sizes).

The RG series however, seems suited to metal - and is best described as above in your post, but the S, SA, SZ, Artcore, and every other series is amazing for whatever you play.

IMO, don't worry about brand, but each individual guitar you've tried, and buy based on how it sounds and feels, and looks.

TS asked for an unbiased opinion - your post didn't help.

Actually, TS asked for an:
Honest opinion

I gave him mine.
Quote by Horlicks
Actually, TS asked for an:

I gave him mine.

I thought he said unbiased :P:.
My bad. Just ignore the last line in my post everyone.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
I have a cheaper rg, an RG5EX1 (basically the same as the 350, I believe)
Yes, it does have an edge 3 but it actually is decent. Holds tune fine. Most of the people who say they suck have never even used one.
Neck is ok, the shape is all up to your preference. Somewhat rough fretwork but its bearable.
Paint and body looks good, but I guess its hard to mess up flat grey
Tone is ok, I like the versatility of HSH, but it does sound thin, no matter what you do.

Overall I like it
Quote by k_koosh
In the market for a new guitar, I wanted something near $600, that isn't too genre specific, that is a quality instrument that will last me. A lot of fingers have been pointing at Ibanez, but when I bring the brand up, half of the people say it is crappy, flawed, expensive, and overrated, and the other half shower it with compliments. Is there anyone without a bias that wants to give me a decent general picture? I know every single model isn't going to be the same, but still.
You've heard the pros and cons, yet again, some biased or whatever.

Bottom line, audition whatever you like, through an amp exactly like yours or one you plan to buy, so you can make an informed decision.

I honestly can't stand ibanez guitars (+1 to the thin sound horlicks), but to each his own. You really just have to go into a store and play everything in your price range.
Quote by Horlicks
2. It's a £300 guitar.

The jem777 is surely not shit, jut not really worth the price they want to pay for it.
I don't see why people claim that Ibanez have thin necks, there not actually that thin and possibly the most comfortable neck, jackson V's and Deans have very thin necks that are horrible to play.
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Quote by turtlewax
I don't see why people claim that Ibanez have thin necks, there not actually that thin and possibly the most comfortable neck, jackson V's and Deans have very thin necks that are horrible to play.

Play a Gibby neck and tell me Ibanez isn't thin.
I have owned a few Ibanez over the years. None that i particularly cared for, so i sold them. This topic is like discussing whats better ford or chevy? Diffrent strokes for diffrent folks. I have friends who love Ibanez, Me personally, i will take my Schecter C-1 hellraiser or my ESP over any Ibanez any day. But thats just me.
Page 1 of 2