Hi, I have played the guitar for just over a year now, and I am now in a band. I practise as home on a small 15 watt Laney amp. I cant use this amp at band practise because it is small so I am using a larger Marshall amp, I think it is roughly 30 watts. I want to buy my own amp for band practise and I would like to be able to use it whilst gigging eventually as well. I nearly 16 and I dont have a job so it would be my parents that would buy the amp, Which size amp would be most appropriate for my needs? Baring in mind that I will have a relativaly small budget. Thanks.
50 watts should be all you'll need for small gigging and practice. Try and get a tube amp though, you'll be glad you did later.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
true, but you are not going to get good answers here unless you tell us what type of music you play and how much your parents are willing to pay

TG
Fighting for peace, is like screwing for virginity

Screw you Waldo, go find yourself!!!!
i hate to be that one guy that recomends the valveking 112, but since he hasnt given us a budget or anything, im gonna say valveking. it would sound good good enough for practice and greatly overpower the drummer, if necessary.

EDIT: theres also a used classic 30 or new crate V, which might be perfect for him depending on his styles
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Last edited by nutinpwnsgibson at Oct 26, 2008,
get a valvetronix (30 or 50 watts)

sure, it is no tube amp, but remember people, he is still a kid! He'll get a tube when he gets older, for now just stick with a versitile amp. Its great for rock and metal, and has a ton of effects, including Wah!

Shitty tube amp vs Grrreat modeling amp
Gee, which one will win?

too many people assume that this kid's budget is like $1000, and we just go iinto a stupid debate, instead of helping the kid out.

If your budget is small, i assume that your parents will pay no more than 300-500. The valvetronix is the best for a novice(1-3 years exp).

If its $700, i recommend the 333XL from Bugera, but you have maintain it a lot!
Quote by Dethonator
get a valvetronix (30 or 50 watts)

sure, it is no tube amp, but remember people, he is still a kid! He'll get a tube when he gets older, for now just stick with a versitile amp. Its great for rock and metal, and has a ton of effects, including Wah!

Shitty tube amp vs Grrreat modeling amp
Gee, which one will win?

i see your point, but a modeling amp would be best for practice, not a band
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
yes, but i hear that modelling amps will hold fine in performances, i have been to some. a great amp for a band will be out of his price range.

the Valvetronix is a great buy.
even a Valve King 112 would be a good option or a peavey Vypyr amp..they make tube versions and solid state versions of it
'92 Mesa Dual Rectifier Blackface
Peavey 5150 II half stack
'94 Mesa Dual Rect.
Bugera 6262-212
'93 Custom Fender Strat
Schecter C1 custom
Fender FMT Telecaster
Mosrite JR Model
MXR Smart Gate

Member of the Bugera Users Militia