Hello,

right, so this has been driving me nuts:

I've got several guitars. 3 electric ones, 3 spanish ones and 2 steel-string acoustic guitars. I've never had any problems with strings that broke out of itself untill I bought my first steel-string acoustic guitar; A Stagg A 2006. I know, not the best there is but I was young and I didn't have any more money at that time. I'd always wanted a steel-string acoustic guitar so off I was. After several months the d-string broke right at the bridge. I put a new one on, and it happened again. And again. Whenever a string broke, it was always the d-string or the G string. Because a friend of mine with the same guitar was having the same problems with d and g strings I just blamed it on the guitar being to cheap for my style of playing. Maybe I was too good for the guitar, if that makes any sense? I've cleaned the bridge of that guitar several times, put some work on it because it might be too sharp but that's obviously not the case here. I've tried every brand on the market and although the Elixer set lasted a bit longer it still lasted only 3 weeks which just shouldn't be happening, right?

Now, a few years later, I've bought myself a proper steel-string acoustic guitar. An Ibanez SGE 430 CS. However, after just 2 weeks of barely even playing it the d-string broke. And the g-string. And the A-string. I had been having some problems with my capo so thought it might be the capo who was to blame, but now, after playing for only 1 hour straight with a very soft guitar pic, the d-string broke again and I just gave up on it.

What could this be? Is it just bad luck that this happens to me 2 times on the same guitar? It takes me 1,5 hours travelling to get to the shop (long live public transport) and would like to hear any advice from any of you before I bring it back. Besides my steel-string guitars I barely have any strings who break out of itself.

Any suggestions and advice are welcome. Apologies if I posted this in the wrong section.

Thank you very much,

Sebastiaan
what is the saddle made out of?
The simpleton's rig:
Fender Roadhouse Stratocaster
Homemade Fuzz pedal "the chainsaw"
Peavey Valveking 212.
Quote by phoenix_88
you could be re-stringing it incorrectly...

That's my thought as well.
■■■
'member The Pit of 10'? oH, I 'member!

╚═ ▼▲▼▲▼═╝
It's not likely to be a problem with your guitar, but as already stated you may be doing something wrong when you're restringing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0D5Ex-gczwQ&NR=1 that video shows how to restring a guitar properly. Make sure you're using the right string, i.e. don't accidentally use the high e instead of the g, it's a silly mistake but be careful. Also try out different string brands, you may just be using some really bad strings, I use D'Addario on my steel string acoustic and I rarely have problems with snapping strings.
it sounds to me like your digging in to much in your strum. i am an agressivestrummer with so so skill and i broke d and g strings quite frequently till i refined my playing style. also the g and d have the skinniest core wire of all the stringd and are under the most tension perhaps you couls go up a guage in strings or use a slightly less thick pick for a while good luck.
Quote by blynd_snyper
It's not likely to be a problem with your guitar, but as already stated you may be doing something wrong when you're restringing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0D5Ex-gczwQ&NR=1 that video shows how to restring a guitar properly. Make sure you're using the right string, i.e. don't accidentally use the high e instead of the g, it's a silly mistake but be careful. Also try out different string brands, you may just be using some really bad strings, I use D'Addario on my steel string acoustic and I rarely have problems with snapping strings.

If I'd be doing something wrong when restringing surely the problem would occur when I'd put new strings on my electric and Spanish guitars as well? And I've tried many different brands, it's always the D-string that breaks first.

Quote by anita prs bad
it sounds to me like your digging in to much in your strum. i am an agressivestrummer with so so skill and i broke d and g strings quite frequently till i refined my playing style. also the g and d have the skinniest core wire of all the stringd and are under the most tension perhaps you couls go up a guage in strings or use a slightly less thick pick for a while good luck.

I'm an agressive strummer myself but am pretty skilled. I have been playing over 15 years now but maybe you have a point. Could you maybe provide me some youtube links of incorrect strumming or something like that? However, the last 2 times a string broke was after barely 2 hours of playing and it was only some finger picking and some solo-ing. No bending and stuff like that involved. And again, if I'd be digging to much in my strum shouldn't the problem appear whenever I play on my electric guitars as well?

Thanks so far.

Sebastiaan
perhaps but i dont strumm as hard with an electric as i do with an acoustic quite frankly i do sa lot of anchored playing on an electric versus when i am banging away on chords on my acoustic. just me though also do you strun close to the bridge or behind the sound hole that could have a little to do with it if you do. if there are no burrs on the bridge and that is where they all break then beats me without pics.
I'm curious to know where exactly along the length of string they are breaking. Also, if you could, describe to me in detail how you restring your guitar(s). I may be able to help knowing these things. Unless you've sorted it out by now that is.
Here's some pictures of my Ibanez:

The broken D string:

How I restringed my A string:

And what the bridge looks like:

And the bridge of my Stagg:

All strings break at the bridge. If you need any more pictures just tell me.

Thank you.
Uhhh... Thats definitely not stringed right at all... Where's the slack?

Restringing guide: http://frets.com/FRETSPages/Musician/Guitar/Setup/SteelStrings/Stringing/ststringing1.html
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
For the Stagg, the saddle looks as though it's been filed flat at the contact point for the D string. It looks whiter in that spot in the pic than the rest of it. Since it's a string thru bridge, there's no bridge pins, so the break angle is going to be dependant on the saddle height alone. If there's a right angle to the top of the saddle, right at the point where the string contacts the saddle, then I'd say that's a prime suspect for premature string failure.

As for your restringing abilities, please do as captivate says and read that walkthru he posted a link to. On your Ibby, there should be 1 string wrap above where the string passes through the hole in the tuning machine, and 2-3 wraps below. And the string should come off the tuner post and travel to the nut, neck and bridge from the LOWEST wrap, closest to the headstock.
Thanks for your help. However, I've only restringed the A, D and G string. The others are like how they came from the factory. :|

Anyway, I'll try it. Thank you very much.
I had this problem. D string. Right at the bridge. I learned it was how I was picking the string and I also was using .60mm picks at the time. I now use jazz thick picks to ensure precision. Also moving up a heavier gauge in strings can help this struggle too.