At xmas im finally upgrading my amp. For the longest time ive been thinking fender blues jr, because its affordable and has tht fender sound. Im really looking for cleans for blues, jazz, soul type stuff as i have a blues driver for dirtier stuff. i havent actually played the amp yet but i will before i buy. My question is, do they sound good at low volumes or do u have to crank them to get a good sound? And any other amp suggestions would be great, my price range is about $500. I want thick cleans and the type of music i typically play is blues, jazz, soul and blues rock.
My Gear:

Fender Aerodyne Stratocaster
NOS Tweed Fender Blues Jr
Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for:
Vox V847
It sounds fine at low volumes. You won't need a pedal for the dirtier stuff, it has crunch if you pin the preamp volume. It's the best sounding drive crunch out of the Hot Rod line.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Last edited by H4T3BR33D3R at Oct 26, 2008,
thanks, thats exactly what i wanted to know.
My Gear:

Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for:
Vox V847
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
It sounds fine at low volumes. You won't need a pedal for the dirtier stuff, it has a drive channel. It's the best sounding drive channel out of the Hot Rod line.

The Blues Junior? No it doesn't.
Quote by forsaknazrael
You should probably mug John Frusciante or Ritchie Blackmore. They're small guys, we could take 'em.

Just look out for that other guy in the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Will Farrel. He's a tall mofo, got a long reach.

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

Quote by VoodooCow229
The Blues Junior? No it doesn't.

Oh right right!

It's got the whole preamp volume, master volume thing.

You can get crunch out of it though. You just dime everything and keep the master down.

When it comes down to it though (schem wise), all the Hot Rod amps are single channel amps anyways.

My bad, thanks for correcting me!
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Eh, I wouldn't say you can get crunch out of it. I've got it and even with a humbucking guitar I can't get more than light gain. An overdrive pedal is a must for this amp. If you're looking for "vintage Fender tone" you won't get it with this amp. It's EL34 based instead of 6L6 based like alot of Fenders. The Hot Rod series isn't comparable to more "well known" Fenders like the Deluxe Reverb, Twin, and the Super Reverb. If you really want a Fender sound, save up for the Deluxe Reverb if you can. The Blues Junior isn't a bad amp, but it might not be exactly what you're looking for.
Quote by forsaknazrael
You should probably mug John Frusciante or Ritchie Blackmore. They're small guys, we could take 'em.

Just look out for that other guy in the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Will Farrel. He's a tall mofo, got a long reach.

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

Quote by VoodooCow229
Eh, I wouldn't say you can get crunch out of it. I've got it and even with a humbucking guitar I can't get more than light gain. An overdrive pedal is a must for this amp. If you're looking for "vintage Fender tone" you won't get it with this amp. It's EL34 based instead of 6L6 based like alot of Fenders. The Hot Rod series isn't comparable to more "well known" Fenders like the Deluxe Reverb, Twin, and the Super Reverb. If you really want a Fender sound, save up for the Deluxe Reverb if you can. The Blues Junior isn't a bad amp, but it might not be exactly what you're looking for.

I don't know man, I had one of those through a 4x12 and got a pretty decent crunch tone.

It's how you play and how you set the amp.

It's actually EL84 based and I think it does what most people think of the Fender tone justice.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Gah, I always get the 34s and 84s confused. Today is not my day.
Quote by forsaknazrael

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

Quote by VoodooCow229
Gah, I always get the 34s and 84s confused. Today is not my day.

Hey man, me too.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
i love it...you can def get crunch of it. I put the master at 2, volume at 12, and crank my guitar volume.
SG COMMANDO #2041

Guitar:

1967 Gibson SG Jr.
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone MM-30E

Amp
Fender Blues Jr. NOS (tweed, bitches)
Pedals

Modded TS9
Cusack Screamer Fuzz V2
Mid-Fi Pitch Pirate
Line 6 DL4
i have it and its a great amp its sounds perfectly fine at low volumes but there is no gain with an od it can reach rock fairly well its gonna take alot to ever get metal out of this but from what u say its perfect for u
My Gear:
Jackson DK2M
PRS Paul Allender Sig
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Micro Cube
It goes great with a good overdrive. It doesn't exactly have that "fender" tone though. Still a great amp. It has little gain though. Go used and get a Fulltone OCD
I love to crank it, it sounds freaking amazing! But at low volumes, it does sound fine. It just sounds better when you crank the volume. If you keep the master volume low, and crank up the drive volume and hit the fat switch you get some nice overdrive, sounds pretty sweet. I can't give you any input on the reverb, because my reverb is broken. However, I would say that an overdrive would definitely help things out a lot.
Peavey HP Signature EXP (SH4 JB/ SH2 Jazz)
Jackson DK2M
Fender MIM Stratocaster HSS
Fender MiM Telecaster

EVH 5150 III w/ EVH 2x12 cab
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60
Fender Blues Jr.

Boss ME-50; NS-2; RV-5; BF-3
MXR M101 Phase 90
Great amp, can definitely do crunch and a nice overdrive helps any tube amp. It sounds better cranked, but by no means bad with the master volume low. I'd say it's pretty true to the fender sound considering it's an EL84 amp. It's no deluxe reverb, but then again it's half the price. The reverb sounds amazing, better than the HRD if you ask me, but again it's still not comparable to the tube driven verb on a Deluxe reverb.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
I think it's a good amp for what you want to play. Try it first obviously. Mine loves my OD pedal and the reverb is good. I only use the amps drive when i play at lower volumes, which it handles fine. The drive gets funky when cranked. Not a good funky IMO so I use the od pedal when jamming loud. The amp loves speaker swaps from what I have heard, I haven't changed mine yet.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
alright maybe i need to rethink my situation. i have about $900 saved and i was gunna try 2 haggle a MIA strat out of it, and i was asking for this amp for a xmas/graduation present. should i go with a more expensive amp and get a MIM strat or somthing??
My Gear:

Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for:
Vox V847
A good amp with a MIM strat would sound a lot better. although a MIA, Blues Junior and an OD would be a great setup too
Definitely. Amp>guitar and you can find some really nice MIM strats, I especially like the jimmie vaughan.
yea, somthing important i forgot to mention is im only a bedroom player right now so a deluxe reverb is overkill
My Gear:

Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for:
Vox V847
^Not really, it's 22 watts, only seven more than the BJ. It's a quiet 22 watts. I'd say volume wise the BJ and the DR are on the same level.
I'm actually thinking this through a bit more and I think the BJ with a MIA strat would be fine, especially for a bedroom player. Normally I would say a different amp, but in this case, I think it's okay. Just go used. And get an OCD for your od
true, but i wouldnt use it to its full extent. Owning a deluxe reverb and only playing on 2 is like throwing a wild tiger in a cage, it just dosnt seem cool lol
My Gear:

Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for:
Vox V847
Quote by mcrfobtai
I'm actually thinking this through a bit more and I think the BJ with a MIA strat would be fine, especially for a bedroom player. Normally I would say a different amp, but in this case, I think it's okay. Just go used. And get an OCD for your od

This is probably a good idea, I think for bedroom set ups a nicer guitar is sometimes more desirable. Then again, deluxe reverbs rock.
where can I find quality stuff used?
My Gear:

Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for:
Vox V847
Quote by Kevin Saale
This is probably a good idea, I think for bedroom set ups a nicer guitar is sometimes more desirable. Then again, deluxe reverbs rock.

+1, my favorite Fender amp. Along with a Bassman.
But CL and ebay usually do it just fine. Pawn shops too
where can u buy a OCD?
My Gear:

Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for:
Vox V847
Their website. Ebay. GC doesn't have it on their website but I wen there the other day and there were like 5 Fulltone pedals out.
if you're a bedroom player that's good because it's not a very loud amp and you can crank it without annoying your neighbors.
nice and how expensive?
My Gear:

Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for:
Vox V847
yea thts exactly my reasoning for a smaller amp like that. i always assumed deluxe reverbs were way more than 22 watts, but tht goes to show that wattage dosnt determine volume.
My Gear:

Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for:
Vox V847
^Fulltone rocks, my new amp is gonna make hawt dirtie secks with a fulldrive 2 mosfet.
damn thats cheap compared to what i was getting ready for hahaha i expected $200-$300
My Gear:

Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for:
Vox V847
Quote by Kevin Saale
^Fulltone rocks, my new amp is gonna make hawt dirtie secks with a fulldrive 2 mosfet.

Damn man. I think a BJ with the Fulldrive will be teh secks.
I really want a OCD, but I also want to build a od. Maybe I'll end up doing and OCD clone. But yeah, they are actuall not that expensive considering
^No one does an OCD clone, byoc and ggg are good about not stealing. All their clones are non patented circuits.
^He isn't selling them though, is he?